White smoke after hard pull.

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
hey guys not sure if this is a simple question to answer but here we go, so I have been seeing this issue on my golf alh where when I do a hard pull no issues but when i let off the throttle white smoke comes out for 3 or so seconds but then just stops. My question is that most likely my heads lifting or just unburnt fuel because it was just requesting alot of boost (26psi) and fuel then I let go of throttle then it can't burn it all. Thats how I see it but please chime in guys thanks:)

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
My ahu does the same thing and turn out to be oil vapor from the ccv.
Disconnect the ccv and go drive and if it continues then it's either fuel or coolant. Are you noticing any coolant loss or high pressure in the coolant bal once its cooled down?

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
Disconnect the ccv and go drive and if it continues then it's either fuel or coolant. Are you noticing any coolant loss or high pressure in the coolant bal once its cooled down?
I havent noticed my coolant moving too much but I am keeping my eye on it ever since, I will try this on the weekend let ya know how it goes.

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
My ccv has oil going into intake for sure now i have seen people with tunes going down from ccv port and exhaust port is that a vaccum catch can set up in a idea? And driving with it off won't oil go everywhere? Also coolant ball you talking where you top up coolant? Thanks

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
Ordered a catch can but noticed my turbo making a louder whine then usual around 8 psi is when I start to hear it and when I pull it gradually goes up, still build the same boost but recently blew a boost pipe and drove it 10 mins or so... newer vnt 17 aswell.. is this a sign of the turbo going?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Pull the intake boot off. With the engine off of course. Wiggle lithe shaft by the nut (lol) and see if it has any forward to rear play. A tinly bit like less than a mm is ok, but any more than this and its worn down. Side to side should be some but not more than a few mm.

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
Pull the intake boot off. With the engine off of course. Wiggle lithe shaft by the nut (lol) and see if it has any forward to rear play. A tinly bit like less than a mm is ok, but any more than this and its worn down. Side to side should be some but not more than a few mm.
Will be doing all of this on the weekend when I'm with the car thanks again man

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
Buddy it worked, catch can no issues, no shafft play whatsoever ever on the turbo and no more white smoke. Thanks so much man:)

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cool. Yea all that boost really gets more past the piston rings and pushes more oil vapor into your engine.
I suggest you drain your intercooler. No solvents!

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
Cool. Yea all that boost really gets more past the piston rings and pushes more oil vapor into your engine.
I suggest you drain your intercooler. No solvents!
How would you recommend doing that?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
taking boot off the lowest part of the intercooler, drain oil that builds up (probably a bit more than normal from your case (that's fine))
put it back together, take the hard plastic boots off the car completely and put in HOT water and Cascade (LOTS OF CASADE, not dawn or liquid soap, that will casue suds. you want laundry detergent into the pipe that goes to the intercooler. and after a while, flush it with a garden hose
take the lower pipe back off to drain again. if you have a shop vac, use it or a leaf blower to drive as much water out as possible. let it sit overnight if you can't
put it all bac together other than the intake manifold boot (leave this off.
run the car for about 5 minutes like that, will help drive off any more water.
put it back together. let it idle for a few more minutes and do not go WOT for a while until the engine temps get up a bit. you want to minimize the risk of a slug of water going into the engine. if you do it this way, its very unlikely at all.
do not use solvents. this is a diesel engine. you can and will 100% have a small runaway on your hands the moment you fire it up. it will end the moment the solvent has been used.
i used brake cleaner on a rag once to wipe out the silicone fittings for my set up. it ran away for about half a second cold. that's not good. A runaway is an over revving engine out of control

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
taking boot off the lowest part of the intercooler, drain oil that builds up (probably a bit more than normal from your case (that's fine))
put it back together, take the hard plastic boots off the car completely and put in HOT water and Cascade (LOTS OF CASADE, not dawn or liquid soap, that will casue suds. you want laundry detergent into the pipe that goes to the intercooler. and after a while, flush it with a garden hose
take the lower pipe back off to drain again. if you have a shop vac, use it or a leaf blower to drive as much water out as possible. let it sit overnight if you can't
put it all bac together other than the intake manifold boot (leave this off.
run the car for about 5 minutes like that, will help drive off any more water.
put it back together. let it idle for a few more minutes and do not go WOT for a while until the engine temps get up a bit. you want to minimize the risk of a slug of water going into the engine. if you do it this way, its very unlikely at all.
do not use solvents. this is a diesel engine. you can and will 100% have a small runaway on your hands the moment you fire it up. it will end the moment the solvent has been used.
i used brake cleaner on a rag once to wipe out the silicone fittings for my set up. it ran away for about half a second cold. that's not good. A runaway is an over revving engine out of control
Hey man got a question for ya, so when I do a hard pull I see my coolant temp go down then back up when I stop the pull, is this a indication of head lift?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not that I know of. Head lift takes a few minutes to show up. It sounds like a failed open thermostat. High revs. More coolant flow and air flow.
Head lift will be and only can be confirmed with a cool coolant system with lots of air pressure left in it with no obvious coolant loos especially with an egr bypass.