Whining Noise BRM

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 TDI Platinum grey 5 speed
I am looking for some direction here. I own two BRM Jettas. My son drives one. He came home from a trip last week with a whining noise. I thought it was the turbo so I put one on I had extra from a recent engine replacement. The noise was still present. So I took mine off my car, which is a new one, and put on his. Still the whining noise. I put the one I took off his car and put on mine and drove it without any noise. So at this point I figure the turbo is not making the noise.

Before taking his off, I removed boost pipes from both ends of the turbo and would still get the noise. I then moved to removing the serpentine belt and the noise is still there. So cant be the tensioner pulley or the alternator or the AC. Is it possible the water pump makes this noise or one of the idler pulleys on the timing belt?

The sound happens when accelerating. Once at cruising, I cant hear it.

Also note, I have deleted the EGR cooler so not that.

What else might I check?

Last edited:

WDNM

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI BRM w/ manual
I use a length of garden (about 3 ft) hose to probe around to isolate noises - one end at your ear the other end roaming around the engine bay.

Also would recommend an automotive stethoscope. These guys are cheap and helpful to track down odd noises, especially bearing noises around the drive belts, if this is what you have.

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
This noise is kicking my butt. Last night I took off the timing belt covers and listened with a hose as mentioned by WDNM. I could not locate anything around the timing belt. I had an ASV code, so I swapped another one in with no luck in eliminating the noise.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
Are you sure your EGR Tube is tight at the top? Mine came loose and I cleaned and polished the surfaces, put in the SS Gasket and tightened it squarely. Noise went away.

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you referring to the EGR tube that is part of the cooler that comes up and connects below the ASV? If so, I have a block off plate there and did take it off and while it was off, I could still hear the noise and no change in sound.

Thank you for brainstorming with/for me.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I just had an alternator bearing start to go and I was worried was the turbo. Followed rpm could be heard best by the person reving engine in car. Use a 17 mm and lift alternator off surpentime belt.

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
I did try that. Removed the serpentine belt and rev'd it. Still going on. I will take another crack at tonight.

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, I got back into it tonight on this noise. This time I thought I would take the top cover off and check the camshaft. I found one cam lifter to be cupped pretty good. All the others I am sure have wear, but from what I can see, not cupped liked this one is. The camshaft is ready to be replaced a long with the lifters. The cam has some major wear to it.

So tell me what you think. What does a cupped lifter sound like? The noise I have tried to describe is not an air whistle noise. I had a friend listen and he said it sounded like a bearing or something like that. So after I had figured I had ruled out the air sound, I turned to checking timing belt rollers, tensioner etc. I wonder if this lifter could be making the noise. I guess I will find out when I replace it. It is certainly time.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I don't think a cam bearing would be making any noise unless it were completely wasted and melting down.

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
Does the sound match the turbo boost; goes up and down with throttle position? I have a similar issue with my car right now but haven't noticed any performance difference or engine behavior. Mine started with a loud pop while cruising on the highway but haven't found anything loose. I also have deleted and blocked off the EGR. I'm going to look at the turbo pressure piping on the charge side to see if the hard plastic has any hairline cracks, resulting in a high pitched whistle.

Will keep you posted! (Waiting for warmer days to crawl around in the garage)

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
This is my sons car and he was driving when it started making the noise. So not sure if heard any sounds. I still am not sure what it is. As I mentioned, I initially thought it was the turbo, it wasnt. Then I removed the serpentine belt, still hear the noise, so not alternator, etc. I even disconnected all the tubes in and out of the turbo, still noise. Then I found the bad lifter and wondered if that could be it. I didnt run the car with the top off because of the oil going everywhere. I am going to do the cam and lifter swap in the next week or so and go from there.

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
The bad cam/lifter issue sounds more of a low pitched thump or thud or 'bobobobob'. The days are warming up and soon I'll have access to a lift. Still no performance or mileage changes so it's a low priority right now, just an annoyance.

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
I am waiting for the camshaft kit to arrive. This needs to be done regardless, but I am hoping it will be the source of the noise.

I will post back next week when it has been installed.

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
Changed the camshaft and lifters over the weekend. Banshee was correct. Piece of mind is now there with the lifters and camshaft, but the noise is still there. Only one lifter was cupped pretty good, but not broken through. Still on the hunt to figure this out.

1sloVR4

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Can you tell where the noise is coming from? Front of the engine (belt side) or rear (transmission side). Any chance you could post a video?

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
Its hard to tell where its coming from. When its sitting, we have to rev it up in order hear it at the higher RPM, so the noise is load. It can be heard better from inside the car, so maybe off the back. It is just so hard to tell. I can try to get some video of it.

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: No change at this point, but I wanted to get back on just to keep things current. I am going to replace both the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets. I had seen a video of a GTI that was making a very similar sound which ended up being the gaskets. As mentioned above, pilot bearing is certainly a possibility. Would be a good time to check the clutch while checking the bearing. These trannys are pretty easy to get out, so its doable. Its possible the pilot bearing is the original one which would have 210K miles on it.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
I am pretty confident these cars don't have pilot bearings, only throw out bearings. Does the noise change when you depress the clutch? Does it only make noise when the car is moving or also when just sitting still? Good luck from Spanish Fork. :)

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
I am pretty confident these cars don't have pilot bearings, only throw out bearings. Does the noise change when you depress the clutch? Does it only make noise when the car is moving or also when just sitting still? Good luck from Spanish Fork. :)
It does not make noise while depressing the clutch. It only makes the noise when revving the engine.

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
Changed out the intake and Exhaust manifold gaskets with no difference. Still searching.

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
Does your car sound like a kazoo?

My issue went away on its own today after a hard acceleration followed by a *pop*, then zero boost, some black smoke, and zero power. May end up pulling the intake/turbo as I already know my actuator is bad (solved by globbing silicone gasket maker around the shaft which got me through the winter)

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
Before I pull the turbo, I wanted to pick the brilliant brains of the forum.

So while driving with no power (and no boost as shown on a gauge), the engine would sometimes try to kick back into boost for a second or two, then cut out again. To me, this sounds like a limp mode. I have a VAG-Com and should have connected it before tearing apart everything up to the turbo. Ha! Still doesn't solve the case of the whine or boost leak.

1sloVR4

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Does your car sound like a kazoo?

My issue went away on its own today after a hard acceleration followed by a *pop*, then zero boost, some black smoke, and zero power. May end up pulling the intake/turbo as I already know my actuator is bad (solved by globbing silicone gasket maker around the shaft which got me through the winter)
That sounds more like an intercooler hose blowing off.

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
Pressure tested the intake piping to 10psi with no signs of leakage. Turns out the turbine was sheared clean off with no signs of it. Likely caught up in the cat. I'm guessing a wobbly turbo shaft caused the noise which resulted in the catastrophic turbo failure.

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
Solved!!!!

I am one to come back to the forum after posting a question to give updates and/or solutions. This time I have found the issue. My son said he lost turbo this afternoon. I assumed it was going to be from the ziptie mod, but then found that I had a stainless steel one on it. That was not the issue. However, I did notice alot of soot on top of the turbo and engine cover. Once underneath I could see the soot coming from my block off plate on the exhaust manifold. The nuts were not snug, so I thought I would take them off and check the seal. Once the plate came off, the gasket came off in two pieces and some small pieces were missing. I had another gasket that was a close fit, so I dremeled the holes to fit and put it one. No more noise. Yahoo. However, he still has not turbo. I will trouble shoot that tomorrow after I get the correct gasket to replace the broken one.

Thanks to all how have replied in an effort to help me get this resolved.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
Great news. Glad you fixed it with that gasket.