Whining Noise and Lots of Smoke?

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Does anyone know the best way to remove a rounded off bolt head? I am trying to split apart my old turbo just curious to see the damage inside but one of the bolts for the exhaust housing is really hard to remove. I've used penetrating oil to try and loosen it up and even cleaned it up first with some degreaser as there was loads of grime build up on it. It's now gotten pretty bad i can't even turn it with an adjustable spanner or vice grips. Any ideas what to do please? I suppose i could use a blow torch to heat it up but i haven't got one at the moment.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
2x ^^^^^
The blue wrench is your friend.
Heat the turbo, not the head of the bolt.
You don't want the bolt to expand.
Tap the bolt with a hammer also.
Once they start turning spray penetrating oil also.
PB Blaster is my favorite.

Randomhomelesstdibeetlegu

Veteran Member
TDI
00 ALH Tdi
2x ^^^^^
The blue wrench is your friend.
Heat the turbo, not the head of the bolt.
You don't want the bolt to expand.
Tap the bolt with a hammer also.
Once they start turning spray penetrating oil also.
PB Blaster is my favorite.

Sometimes the bolt can be made to glow. It expands up cools and breaks rust layer. Sometimes even the magic fire doesn't work.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Irwin BoltOut.
I was looking at something similar to these on amazon but I was just concerned that the size of the sockets would be too big to fit in between the exhaust housing and intake side. I can just about get a 9mm socket on the bolt without a ratchet on the end!

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Propane torch and vice grips.
yeah I was thinking that heating it up with a blow torch might help loosen the bolt and help it come out. I've read other say that you should heat the bolt up until it's glowing and then wait till it cools down and contracts and then try taking it out.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
yeah I was thinking that heating it up with a blow torch might help loosen the bolt and help it come out. I've read other say that you should heat the bolt up until it's glowing and then wait till it cools down and contracts and then try taking it out.

Whatever gets the bolt moving. If it won’t work one way try another.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
The bolt outs have flats on them so you can put a box end wrench on 'em. Not much clearance needed.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Irwin BoltOut.
I just emailed Irwin to clarify with them that the socket set they are selling will fit an 8mm and 10mm bolt but they've replied back and recommended i contact a UK company called Tool-Cal for assistance. Am surprised they didn't just recommend this product they are selling which i believe does have the right sized sockets?

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
You have a 50/50 chance on the oil feed line. My 1st alh, it twistwed on me. 2nd alh, was able to remove the line from the fitting. And when I did that, I tightened the snot out of the fitting in the turbo, and every time I've had to remove the line since, it has come right off.