"while you're in there..." suspension bits..

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I want stiffer, but not lower, springs. That's what I'm aiming for. I don't want hopped up, or slammed, just more sporty.
Look at an Alltrack, that's how my GWS ended up. Those springs are also stiffer. Change your LCA bushings to Audi pucks and your done.

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2004 Jetta Wagon (sold!)
Look at an Alltrack, that's how my GWS ended up. Those springs are also stiffer. Change your LCA bushings to Audi pucks and your done.
Alltrack springs are longer. How do I know this? My wife has an Alltrack. The center-of-axle to fender length (measured that way to avoid wheel diameter differences) is greater (but not by much) on her car.

Plus:

"these springs will lift the [front|rear] of your sportwagen by about 1.5 inches"

I don't want to hop up my car.

Plus plus. I already have GTI springs.

I already have a set of TT LCA rear bushings to go in. Part number 8S0-407-183-B, specified for the TT RS

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
1.5 inches is hardly hopped up in my book. But to each their own

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
If you look through the thread you'll see I had the same concerns. But that poster has the LCA's with more caster and is also lowered on B8's. So imagine that picture with the wheel less pushed forward and with another 1"+ of gap above the wheel.

I can promise you guys that if my wheels looked anything like that with my setup I would have changed it. My nearly double digit number of suspension setups, and eventual DCC retrofit should let you know I'm not one to live with something that not ideal and stock-like, in look and function.

When I had the LCA's installed I was still running B8/H&R combo. Wheel was too far forward, though not as much the user in that thread, and rubbed on dips taken at speed... unacceptable. That was fixed by going to DCC (which raised the car back up) and replacing my 6-pot brembo/8mm spacer brake setup with a 4-pot brembo/no spacer setup.

I'll edit this post in a few minutes with a poorly lit pic of how I sit now. I'll try to get some better pics, in the light, later...
https://flic.kr/p/2m5wxoj

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Why go with GTI springs when you can snag R springs? It may be the best combo of drop and firmness as the R is slightly heavier in the rear than the GTI. Running either of these springs on a torsion bar rear end GSW may have a little rear sag but some spring pads will get it back up in proper shape

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
The R sits lower (which can be fixed with pads, as you mentioned) but is also stiffer. I don't think @milktree is looking for a drop at all, and I know I wasn't. I don't even like the "stiffness" of a stock GTI myself but I recognize the balance it strikes, and why so many love it. I'm just old, in spirit more than age.

Height is an easy fix but this post would make the R springs a no-go for me. @milktree mentioned B6's so slightly Sport-ier, no drop... R springs won't match that, imo.

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
Why go with GTI springs when you can snag R springs? It may be the best combo of drop and firmness as the R is slightly heavier in the rear than the GTI. Running either of these springs on a torsion bar rear end GSW may have a little rear sag but some spring pads will get it back up in proper shape
I don't want to lower the car. I think the Golf R springs are shorter than GTI springs. (based on observed ride height)

I also want to use it on road trips with my wife without her getting angry at the stiffness of the suspension.

GTI springs are somewhat stiffer, but not crazy stiffer.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
This work is probably done by now but here's a straight on picture of my Golf. Essentially on stock GTI suspension, with the exception of Whiteline KTA252 aluminum control arms. Advertised as adding 2° of caster. I'll have to find my alignment sheet but if I remember correctly it was just under 1.5°. And I see that whiteline is showing a price of $500 😳, I got them during some type of sale but paid just over $200.
https://flic.kr/p/2m7Gbwy The forward and upper gap look about the same to me, gap in the rear is a little larger but not noticeable, to me, unless I'm looking straight at it. The mud flap might be working in my favor here. And it doesn't help that I know I have added caster.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Looks like you need a taller tire for some more sidewall, but that's just my preference.

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd love some strut mounts that move the mount point *back* about an inch, but not in or out - for cars with stock ride height.

More caster, no change in camber, and the wheel would still be centered in the fender arch.

I realize I'm in a tiny group of people who want performance improvements while maintaining stock look, so I'm unlikely to have such a thing without making it myself.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I want a taller tire for sure. When I got these tires I was in my usual situation of having expiring cash back available at Costco. At the time I was also lowered on the B8's/H&R's plus running spacers to clear my brakes so I was worried about rubbing. And it was for good reason, because that set up did rub, hated it, lol.

I've been running BF Goodrich sport comp 2's on this car and my old Volkswagens for years and I'm happy with their performance, noise, and longevity. Not to say I have experience with any other non-stock tires but I don't have the patience to try out different ones. These are somewhere around 400 tread wear and have never cost me more than $500 for the set mounted and balanced. Unless something changes with my work or living situation they'll last a while given my 2 mile commute and 2-3 canyon drives a month.

I love a meaty setup though, especially on smallish wheels like my 17s. Will be going that direction for sure when it's time to replace these.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I realize I'm in a tiny group of people who want performance improvements while maintaining stock look, so I'm unlikely to have such a thing without making it myself.
I'm with you, I wish I had realized I was in that group before spending so much time and money on setups I couldn't live with.

My current setup gives me stiffness in sport mode, very close to stock ride height, softness in comfort mode, camber with no noises, no rubbing, and minor (imo) off-centering of the front wheel. I'm completely satisfied with how the car sits, rides and drives right now.