Which wire in the loom is power to the reverse lights?

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey folks -

I have confirmed with Crutchfield and my own work that tapping in at the reverse light switch (for the backup camera) won't work - the signal wire needs to be 12v, and it only sends a signal to the relay, which then sends 12v to the reverse lights in the rear.

So, in the wire loom in the driver's sill, which wire is the one for the reverse lights? I believe it's the dark blue/black stripe one, but since I don't yet have a Bentley, I'm not sure.

(thought I had a line on a manual over at the 'tex but that fell through)

Thanks in advance,

Jud.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Hey folks -
I have confirmed with Crutchfield and my own work that tapping in at the reverse light switch (for the backup camera) won't work - the signal wire needs to be 12v, and it only sends a signal to the relay, which then sends 12v to the reverse lights in the rear.
So, in the wire loom in the driver's sill, which wire is the one for the reverse lights? I believe it's the dark blue/black stripe one, but since I don't yet have a Bentley, I'm not sure.
(thought I had a line on a manual over at the 'tex but that fell through)
Thanks in advance,
Jud.
Couldn't you work your way backwards? Look in the light cluster and see which wire goes to the light bulb. I think brown is ground.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
On mine it's black/blue wire.
On a stick it's from the backup switch.
In an automatic it's from the relay but still black/blue.
Not sure how your conversion is wired.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I was unable to get the light cluster out in the back fully to absolutely make sure of the color of the wire (my old 5-speed, clutch, axles, and everything else is still in there, left over from my conversion).

BUT checking here, on myturbodiesel.com, and other places, it's the black/blue wire. Mine is a converted auto, which is consistent with wonneber's setup. That the manual has it at the backup switch really explains a lot with the instructions that were included in the alpine manual, and even the pioneer.

I'm just going to extend the wire to the trunk and wire it in there. Path of least resistance at this point.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I would think it would be easier to run the wire through a grommet in the firewall to the reverse switch on the trans.
No going under the carpet, lifting the trim under the doors.
I did that for my boost gauge.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Is this for a rear camera? I threw in the towel and wired the reverse wire from the head unit to a switch in my dash and when I want the rear camera on I just push the switch (it's another emergency flasher switch- works great).

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Ran the wire to the left rear light cluster as recommended, tapped into the black/blue line and now it’s working!

Phew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
For future use - you could have added a relay that was triggered by the reverse switch to send 12v where you needed it. A switched ground can be converted to switched 12v this way. What you did may have been easier - but wasn't the only way to do it.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Good point! Didn't even think of it but after installing the relay/fuse box in the engine compartment for the lift pump, I get it totally now. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk