Which vendors should I use?

powaw

TDI
2003 Golf 5spd
It is time for me to do the TB service on my 03 golf tdi. I have read through the procedures. None of that will be an issue. Where is the best place to get the TB kit from? I want a water pump included in the deal also. I also need the special tool kit.

My shocks and struts are shot also, I want something alot stiffer than stock, possibly with a rear sway bar in some sort of package deal. Stock ride height or taller as I live on gravel roads. Vendors for these parts would be cool also.

thanks

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Well, there was a post about which timing belt kit to use not too long ago.

Find that post and read it. That poster did his homework. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with Dieselgeek but if you want to cut corners and not have the extras, then go with metalmanparts.com

Otherwise order everything including shocks and all from tdiparts.com. But I don't think he has a timing belt kit package. I could be wrong but email him and ask.

Otherwise if money is not an issue to you, the order from www.worldimpex.com. They have everything plus more including the kitchen sink.

Otherwise there is a vendor list by one guy here that created a page for buying cheap quality parts somewhere in the TDI 101 section.

I see that you are a newbie which I knew from start but I wanted to encourage you to actually read around on the forums. I am sure you did but merely missed it. Also do everyone a favor unless you have a reason not to, fill the location field in your profile.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
where abouts are ya? if your up here in canada brian harrison is the best deal around

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Metal Man said:
Well excuse me, it has been quite a while since I checked your site. Last time I checked, the cost was $280 and didn't include the 4 crank bolts and using the OEM camshaft seal instead of the DPH and so on.

I take back everything I said. You have a better deal. You are the man. And thank you for including the coolant. I was getting tired of having to supply them. Now if you can just get some distilled water included, then it be perfect. (just kidding.)

edit to say that I poked around the site. I still see that you still carry the $280 kit. Mmm....

Last edited:

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
I have always gotten my TB kits from Diesel Geek. You can't go wrong and you don't have to worry if you have the right parts. I did get a kit from Impex ONCE. Jim puts in plenty of extra goody's that others don't.

Greg

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
What is the price for an all-VW GENUINE parts for the same timing belt kit? No aftermarket stuff.

I don't want a Liten's tensioner, nor a Contitech serpentine belt, nor any INA rollers, or a DPH cam seal. I want 100% Genuine VW parts.

Do you sell such a kit? I couldn't find one on your website. Any kit that uses any of the "brands" listed above are aftermarket.

Dieselgeek doesn't sell a 100% VW kit either. It's all aftermarket parts, Litens, Laso, Gates.

The price dealers charge for parts is going to be much higher because the parts are Genuine VW parts (IIRC $500 alone). Some people don't mind using aftermarket, others do.

Last edited:

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
tongsli said:
What is the price for an all-VW GENUINE parts for the same timing belt kit? No aftermarket stuff.

I don't want a Liten's tensioner, nor a Contitech serpentine belt, nor any INA rollers, or a DPH cam seal. I want 100% Genuine VW parts.

Do you sell such a kit? I couldn't find one on your website. Any kit that uses any of the "brands" listed above are aftermarket.
if you went to a dealer and asked them for a discount on these parts, you would find them not that expensive.
You will notice the nice feel and fit they have. You could expect your parts relibility would be that of parts on a new vehicle.

Over the years I have replaced millions of dollars worth of parts. My standing behind those parts means they have to be good.

While I do not use only OEM parts, I am fussy as to what aftermarket parts I would use.

You will find this is true of most quality shops.
Its true that we usually get what we pay for.

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Its true that we usually get what we pay for.
I agree. I find that people on this site don't even know when they're buying genuine VW parts vs aftermarket parts.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Tongsli and Frank could you define aftermarket, OEM and Genuine? I think your definitions may be different than mine.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No problem

Genuine means that the VW logo is stamped onto the belt or part or that it is sold in a box with VW's logo and OE part number. Some parts can't have logos stamped onto them. It will be sold exclusively at the VW dealership. If you walk into a VW dealership and order a part, you get a GENUINE VW OEM part. It will always cost the most.

OEM - There are Original Equipment Manufacturers out there who make parts for all the different car companies. Gates, Litens, Mann, all make parts for VW. The parts they produce for "Genuine" VW parts get a VW logo stamped onto them. Many don't care that OEM parts manufacturers don't have the VW logo on their parts. Depending upon the part and application, I agree with them.

Aftermarket - Technically, anything not Genuine VW is considered aftermarket. Eventhough it's made by the OEM company. It's still aftermarket. Call it OE made by whomever, it's still aftermarket.

Why should people care? The only people on this earth who should warranty parts and labor should something go wrong is the dealership. This is usually the case. If you go to a dealership and pay for their parts and they do the work they should warranty the work and parts if something were to go wrong. Most people would expect a dealership to treat their customers this way.

I' don't have much experience with independent mechanics so I have no idea what is normal for them.

People on this forum shop by price, without really knowing that they are comparing apples to oranges.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Regarding "there is a vendor list by one guy here that created a page for buying cheap quality parts somewhere in the TDI 101 section."... check my signature. ;)
-BB

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
tongsli said:
No problem

Genuine means that the VW logo is stamped onto the belt or part or that it is sold in a box with VW's logo and OE part number. Some parts can't have logos stamped onto them. It will be sold exclusively at the VW dealership. If you walk into a VW dealership and order a part, you get a GENUINE VW OEM part. It will always cost the most..
nice post!
there is a counterfeit market out there that copies the logo to their fake parts. when i buy a mercedes part at the dealer it comes in a box that has a hologram seal on it. (depending on the part)

this is why i am careful as to the source of parts. buying from a dealer means the part's source is good. (most dealers are good with discounting)
otherwise buying a VW logo part, especially on the internet, can be risky.

as mentioned certain parts need to be OEM and certain others, its not that important.

quality independent shops are fussy. other independent shops buy their parts strictly by price and take their chances.

Usually, taking their chances, makes them come out ahead in the long run. they are looking only at the bottom line.