which tools to get for TDi timing belt

vwtdi04

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I think I will be attempting to do my own timing belt on my 00 tdi, my business have slow down and I don't think I can shell out 700 cdn+tax for labor right now, I have done TB on my V6 car 3 times in last 10 years, I have looked through bentley and it doesn't sound too complicated just different access to TB, I have bought all parts needed except tools

what is required that I need to buy right now all these below
I have list of tools that said are required for tdi TB
Do I need all these , any tools I can substitute ?

A4 TDI Pump Pin
A4 TDI Cam Sprocket Puller
Universal Diesel/TDI Cam Locking Plate
Universal Sprocket Buster Counter hold Tool
Universal Compact 3-way Tensioner Wrench
Stubby 5 mm Hex Driver (1/4" drive)
A4 Crank Lock
Offset 10 mm box wrench

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
If you made your location more specific, you may find that there's someone nearby who could lend or rent you the tools...

A4 TDI Pump Pin - the back end of a 6 mm drill bit (or 15/64")

A4 TDI Cam Sprocket Puller - nice to have the correct tool, but it's also possible to drill a small hole in the backing plate and use a punch to drive the sprocket off the camshaft - the way it's done on the older engines (1Z, AHU)

Universal Diesel/TDI Cam Locking Plate - That one you really need, although if you can fabricate an "E" shaped flat piece of metal to fit, you can fake it... use shims on either side to center... it'll take a bit of work...

Universal Sprocket Buster Counter hold Tool - need something to hold the camshaft sprocket while loosening and torquing (please go higher than 33 Ft*Lbs when doing this... 45 is good...

Universal Compact 3-way Tensioner Wrench - I suppose you can make something to fit... see below...

Stubby 5 mm Hex Driver (1/4" drive) - very helpful in removing the hard-to-reach valve cover bolts under the EGR assembly

A4 Crank Lock - can get away without this one... just make sure that the crankshaft doesn't move and is still at TDC when you're getting ready to tighten the tensioner.

Offset 10 mm box wrench - handy... you should have one... Princess Auto has a set... on sale every once in a while...

See what Guru Ray_G has posted for fabricating your own:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=148798

All the best,

Yuri

vwtdi04

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Thanks for reply
Stubby 5 mm and offset 10 mm I have these
the rest will need to be sourced
I saw those tools on site for $45, that is not bad,
I am in Mississauga

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
There are a bunch of us in the GTA who have the tools... some of us will lend them out, so when you're ready, just ask...

Yuri