Which road should I take?

sqdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
So I have 2 ways to get to work each day: city streets and the freeway. If I go by freeway the distance is about 2.5 miles, city streets is closer to 6 miles. Even during spring/summer, my car doesn't reach operating temp going on the freeway. During winter it barely reaches op temp on the city streets. Lately I've been going on city streets so the car fully warms up.

My question is which route is best for the long-term health of the car?

By going on city streets the car reaches op temp which is good, but I drive that many more miles putting that much more wear and tear on the engine. Plus I use the clutch, brakes, fuel more, but for now I'm just worried about the engine. I don't know too much about engines, would shortening the oil change interval help with the lack of op temp?

Thanks! :D

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
Not really an answer to your question, but I have a question. Living in Eugene, 6 miles on city streets, is it not practical to ride a bike?

sqdude said:
So I have 2 ways to get to work each day: city streets and the freeway. If I go by freeway the distance is about 2.5 miles, city streets is closer to 6 miles. Even during spring/summer, my car doesn't reach operating temp going on the freeway. During winter it barely reaches op temp on the city streets. Lately I've been going on city streets so the car fully warms up.

My question is which route is best for the long-term health of the car?

By going on city streets the car reaches op temp which is good, but I drive that many more miles putting that much more wear and tear on the engine. Plus I use the clutch, brakes, fuel more, but for now I'm just worried about the engine. I don't know too much about engines, would shortening the oil change interval help with the lack of op temp?

Thanks! :D

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Anyway you look at it...the city driving is the worst of two evils.
Stop & go driving is harder on any car (standard or auto tranny). More breaking and lastly more costly.

The short commute to work isn't going to kill your TDI and your idea of perhaps shortening the oil change interval is agood one. Perhaps 7.5K miles would be just about right...even entertain the idea of having an oil analysis done to confirm the condition of your oil. About 10 bucks and well worth it. The problem would be oil dilution due to condensation so doing the oil sample would be your best insurance.

sqdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Joe Fisher said:
Not really an answer to your question, but I have a question. Living in Eugene, 6 miles on city streets, is it not practical to ride a bike?
Man I wish!! The "city" streets are actually crappy rural-ish highways with broken glass shoulders and 50 mph drivers. Plus I have to run errands after work, and it's a long way into town. I miss the days when the office was in town and I could bike . . . :rolleyes:

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
Just take the route you like best and don't worry about it. Like york says, give it an italian tune up on the weekends or after work at least once a week and you'll be fine.

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
volmaniac...

When were you in SE Ohio?? I KNOW that area, tho I don't recall where that sign is. Athens Co. somewhere, I would think.

Don
Hocking Co.,Ohio.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
volmaniac said:
All roads lead to .... somewhere?

That US 50 East will eventually lead to Slaisbury, MD-the armpit of America.

I agree with the oil analysis. I drive 7 miles to work one way half freeway, half streets. I do 10k OCI's usually with 5-40 or 5-30 Castrol.

I sent in an oil sample to Blackstone labs at 90k miles.

My results showed only mild fuel dillution and said that was normal for city driving and reccomended a 12k mile OCI next time around. I passed on that and stuck with the 10k OCI.

PS: 1/3 of the year it's below freezing here. My car only runs at normal temp about 6 or 7 months a year.