Which Receiver Hitch for Bike Rack?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Looking for a receiver hitch for a 2 bike bike rack that will fit my 2015 GSW, bikes and hitch carrier under 100 lbs. Whose using what?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
We have an Ecohitch (2") on each GSW. Bolts to the same locations as the steel bumper. Fairly stealthy, too. More expensive, but IMO, worth it.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
I have the cheapo 1 1/2 inch etrailer one which is fine for a bike hitch. If I were to do it again, however, I would go with the ecohitch 2". More sturdy and more fl x ble for other uses. Not really that much more expensive.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I saw the variety of hitches on etrailer with the wide array of prices, just wanted to see what others are using and if there is any reason to buy the expensive one when it will only be carrying 1 or 2 bikes in town. I'll never tow a trailer with it, I have an F350 for that and I'll never go out of town with the bikes, have a motor home for that. I'm tempted to get the cheaper Curt, if anyone sees a reason not to let me know. The eco hitch looks very nice but do you tow a trailer with it or just bikes?

Last edited:

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
For your use case, with other vehicles to do your towing, the curt should work fine, it has for me. I would source a slightly longer bolt for the one that goes thru the frame. That one was a bear to get the nut started on. Other than that, installation wasn't bad.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Whichever one you get add the option of wiring to trailer lights. You never know. I installed mine and this allowed me to pull a U Haul enclosed trailer.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have an Ecohitch on my Optima and bought my dad one fir his ‘12 TDI wagon, and they’re amazing. They tuck way up, are beefy, and have a 2” option. I’d buy another in a second.

I have a 2 bike hitch rack and cargo basket (for trash and such), and added wiring because the lights can be hard to see with the (fat) bikes on there. I have a Kuat rack that locks into the receiver, and when I had the 1.25" version it would flex the hitch mount more than I liked. I actually broke the one on my B4 while in Canada biking but I was able to have it welded.

I found myself towing my small utility trailer around more since it's now a lot more versatile, just light loads and such but it's a lot easier.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Cost is negligible for the products quality and lifespan, and the purpose is to be able to use it when you want for whatever you want.
The op stated he has no need to use it for any heavy towing. Just a bike rack and carrier maybe. They should be able to find a 2" adapter that would work or items made for 1 1/4". No need spending twice the money for something not needed. But the OP can make up their own mind on this.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I got mine installed (1 1/4") at U-Haul back in 2010. It's the same as the curt hitch. My only complaint is that it sits rather low and will drag more than anticipated. My drive is steep and back into the middle of the hill, so I am constantly dragging the hitch, especially when I have bikes on it. I had to wire it myself. I would add a set of lights to the bike rack if you were going to use it out of town.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Common issue with any that go out under the bumper. All of mine have had this issue as well except the euro hitch I had on the 2003 Beetle.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
U-Haul (as mentioned above, made by Curt, it looks like) 1.25" receiver here. Put them on both GSWs I've owned, and neither has caused an issue.
And my use case is pretty much exactly like the OP: most commonly it has the bike rack (Kuat Sherpa v2.0 - the absolute best IMO for most bikes), but occasionally is put into use to carry a load in the utility trailer out to the junk yard. Kuat rack doesn't wobble at all for me, and the Tekonsha (sp?) wiring harness made install of wiring pretty easy, too.

I did add "helper" air bags to the rear springs, though, since with the rack and a couple bikes (even just 15lb racing bikes) hanging off the back of the car, it would sag quite a bit on the rear end.