Which PD crankshaft is the strongest?

poor_passat

TDI
1.9 BKC B6 passat
I personally have never heard of head cracking in PD engines. Well you two are stating the two ends of the scale. I must be in the middle somewhere.

By the way I have BJ injectors, they said to be capable of same flow as the AL ones. Here in europe everyone beats the ARL engines (and AL injectors), even the block is harder material then all the other 1.9 PDs. Less people seem to do that with the 2.0 engines, but they should be same material as the ARL ones.

I think what your 250HP engines can produce in power, is more linear and smooth then what I'm used to. Nothing 'till 2300rpm, then like someone slap you in the back of your head. It makes sense to build the engine harder if you want torque in lower rpm range, or you want higher redlines. Around here engines said to produce 250HP (might probably be 220ish) don't have anything other than bigger turbo. They don't usually fall apart, to be honest. They occasionally do, and that is not what I'm going for, but they take suprisingly much.

I know someone, who had worked at VW when developing theese engines, and he says the ARL engine was made to produce 600HP in labs, wihout falling apart. The drivetrains were not capable of the power though.

poor_passat

TDI
1.9 BKC B6 passat
Some guy said to run 5.0 bars of boost and nitrous when I bought the ARP studs for the head. I highly doubt that he has half of the modifications you were listing. Well its just made to go a few weekends, in drag races, but still, 5 :O

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
The cracks happen between the injector bore and the intake seat. It's like looking at an old 1.6 IDI... 'They all do it.'

But the crack can go straight down the bore to the injector seat. Sure, you can have a crack in that port that won't affect you, but I'd rather they designed the head with a little more integrity.

I know 'a guy' when he pushed the nitrous button on the dyno stand, hit 980 ft lbs torque in a 1.9 ALH. That was the second the intake manifold completely blew off it's back half. But I don't know anybody else who ever hit almost 1000 ft lbs torque in a 1.9TDI. I'm sure now, you will go out and find someone who says they did.

You always find someone who goes way past the limit. 'the guy' who runs 5bar boost and nitrous'; I've said it before. Check back with 'the guy' in a year... or a week.

When punching out some of the 1.9's to 2.0's, caution should be applied. If the wall thickness is less than .200", I'd be looking for a different block. What the heck... Here I am, once again, offering reasonable cautionary tales of what we do and why we do it. You or someone else will say how they got away with it.

That is not the point! The presumed question is, how long do you want it to last? Build accordingly. There are plenty of exaggerators in the world. Few of them brag about the engine they blew up. So, just do whatever you think you can get away with.

Good luck.

poor_passat

TDI
1.9 BKC B6 passat
I'm not trying to tell you, that you do too much, all I'm saying it is different around here, so if I visit a shop, to build the engine, they most probably have never heard of half the things you mentioned. So I have to do it myself, and I have to filter out the most crucial parts to take my engine to a next level, without stabbing myself in the back. And I have to choose that next level carefully, to fit the modifications I had the money and time to make without going too far.

I bought a good condition BMM block (and head), took it to a machining shop, honing, surfacing, valve simmerings, swithed the crankshaft to a ARL one, had it balanced, piston rings, bearings, etc. I'm changing all the bolts and seals, ARP head bolts, CNC injector mounts to prevent rocking and bore damage. BJ injectors, GTD2060vz turbo. 6 speed 02q, hardened dual mass, kevlar clutch, 4motion conversion.

That is what I have right now. I most probably will not disassemble the engine if not necessarry for some time, so I have to get a reasonable tune for this. I respect you, I hope one day I will have the freedom to really build an engine, not just this small time tinkering. :D