Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
I see recommendations for
Pella
Jabsco
Mighty Vac
Northern Tool

Or should I just dredge up a 12 volt pump and tubing?

Besides my TDI I've got 3 small capacity (5 qt), 2 large capacity (10qt), and am getting another 10qt vehicle soon.

I'm tired of skinnying under and getting that first splash of hot oil on the arm.

I don't want to pump by hand, I've got air compressors If the BEST system requires it, but I'd like to be able to run off the 12 volt.

So -
advice please on the latest and greatest.

thanks

J-P

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 1999 MB E300D, 1984 MB 300TD, 2000 Jetta TDI - Sold, 1983 MB 300TD - Sold
FWIW, I bought the large Mity Vac and oil changes couldn't be easier or faster.

GoRaiders

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I like my Pella alright. Its a hand pump model. Works pretty decent. Have to pump it a few times, but thats okay. Prolly any of them work good though...

pigpenracing

TDI
golf jetta
I had a diaphram style air powered pump laying around that came from mcmaster carr. I mounted it to the top of a 5 gallon bucket. It takes 15 seconds to suck all the oil out of my tdi bug. The Pella says 15 minutes, I am not that patient. I say build your own with a 12v or air powered pump. I should have done this many years ago....

GoRaiders

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Yeah I think my Pella took upwards up 20 minutes. But it does beat crawling around under the car on the ground on my fat ass. LOL

CedarPark68

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagen
West Marine.

Same one as sold by Griots Garage... works very well, large capacity.

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
I've used the Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus for years. It's easy to use, and has a 9 liter capacity. It also has a reverse flow, so the oil you collect can be easily dispensed from the Mityvac into another container.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I used a Pela for many years, with excellent results. I think the only reason it failed is because I left it in an unheated garage and the below-zero temperatures caused it to lose the ability to maintain a vacuum.

So I splurged (a little) on a Mityvac MV7400, and could not be happier with it. I do not plan to expose it to extreme temperatures, so it should last indefinitely.

tico27464

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (DSG)
Q for those using the MityVac - how 'burly' does the air compressor need to be? I have a relatively small one (plugs into the power port on the car); it will go past 120 PSI but I'm concerned that the length of time to extract the oil might be too much for the compressor to safely handle. Thoughts?
Thanks much,
~T

Green Dsl

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I see recommendations for
Pella
Jabsco
Mighty Vac
Northern Tool

Or should I just dredge up a 12 volt pump and tubing?

Besides my TDI I've got 3 small capacity (5 qt), 2 large capacity (10qt), and am getting another 10qt vehicle soon.

I'm tired of skinnying under and getting that first splash of hot oil on the arm.

I don't want to pump by hand, I've got air compressors If the BEST system requires it, but I'd like to be able to run off the 12 volt.

So -
advice please on the latest and greatest.

thanks
Uh, why not install a Fumoto valve? A lot cheaper then an oil extractor or am I missing something on what you are asking info for.

Ed

ToolNut

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS, '11 SportWagen
I installed a Fumoto valve on my brandy-new '02 Jetta almost ten years ago. Four years later bought a Tempo 5-quart extractor and never looked back:

http://www.tempoproducts.com/2004/pump.html

Perfect size, never failed, much easier than bottom-side oil draining, with the added benefit of being able to pull all the oil from the oil cooler.

Problem is, that model apparently isn't made anymore. Any of the other brands are probably fine, though.

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
Q for those using the MityVac - how 'burly' does the air compressor need to be? I have a relatively small one (plugs into the power port on the car); it will go past 120 PSI but I'm concerned that the length of time to extract the oil might be too much for the compressor to safely handle. Thoughts?
Thanks much,
~T
I use the Mityvac that doesn't need a compressor. You just pump it a few times using the built-in pump, which resembles a bicycle pump. About halfway through the drain process you may need to pump it a few more times.

Not sure if it's easier to use than the compressor model, but it works great, and is very easy.

TdiTaff

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Golf TDi 5Speed

DrewD

Veteran Member
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-4-quarter-gallon-oil-extractor-46149.html

I had a Pela, hated it since the pump required you to hold it in place while it pumped (press fit on)

I then got a Jabsco. It was a waste of money and never worked well out of the box. It had numerous vaccuum leaks which prevented it from extracting oil. After fixing the leaks (on the press fit joints/elbows), it worked great for about 4 oil changes and then the pump died. When it did work, it was very slow and seemed to take forever to do its job

My harbor freight model works great and holds 6 gallons easily Using an air compressor is not an inconvenience and it sucks out 10 quarts of oil from my 3.0L MB diesel engine in less than 3 minutes. I love it!

The numerous extractor tips is a plus. I use the smallest one to suck out oil from my Provent CCV filter and no longer have to go under the car to drain it.

Last edited:

dieselbb

TDI
'01 New Beetle GLS 1.9L TDI
Oil Extractor

I build my own with stuff I had in the garge.
Shop Vac
Gas can (the rugged kind)
5/8 OD Plastic tubing (PE or re-inforced tygon)
Vac to can - tubing from can to dipstick.
Turn on vac, sit back and have a beverage.

dieselbb

TDI
Build your own

What I am using for years is made up from stuff siting around my garage:
Shop Vac
Gascan
Plastic tubing

Connect Shop Vac hose to puring spout of gas can
Connect 5/8 tubing from gas can vent to dipstick tube.
Turn on vac and sit back 2-3 minutes.

dieselbb

TDI
double post

Sorry for the double post.
The first time it indicated that the post didn't go.
So I did it again and now both posts are there.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I'd only ever use one of those valve things if they eliminate having to remove that underneath pan.

I bought my oil extractor from the DR people. I looked online at the Pella and the one that DR has. They looked identical, and prices were the same. I suspec that Pella makes it for DR. MacKissic makes their shredders and chippers, for instance. DR is kinda like Sears. They buy from the best bidder.

I checked the operation on all my vehicles (excl. the TDI cuz it's still under warranty, and dealer is doing 3 years' worth free). Worked fine all all except my VW Cabrio. The inlet part hit something down hole. On my tractor, the extractor took EVERY drop out. Nothing came out when I removed the drain plug. Changed again this year, with the extractor (didn't check with the drain plug).

VWblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
I build my own with stuff I had in the garge.
Shop Vac
Gas can (the rugged kind)
5/8 OD Plastic tubing (PE or re-inforced tygon)
Vac to can - tubing from can to dipstick.
Turn on vac, sit back and have a beverage.
Hey you can take picture and show us and I like make myself too.

Thx

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I'd only ever use one of those valve things if they eliminate having to remove that underneath pan.

I bought my oil extractor from the DR people. I looked online at the Pella and the one that DR has. They looked identical, and prices were the same. I suspec that Pella makes it for DR. MacKissic makes their shredders and chippers, for instance. DR is kinda like Sears. They buy from the best bidder.

I checked the operation on all my vehicles (excl. the TDI cuz it's still under warranty, and dealer is doing 3 years' worth free). Worked fine all all except my VW Cabrio. The inlet part hit something down hole. On my tractor, the extractor took EVERY drop out. Nothing came out when I removed the drain plug. Changed again this year, with the extractor (didn't check with the drain plug).
The DG Panzer has an access hole for oil drainage.

Unfortunately, DR only has the small one.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Yeah, I also looked at the 7300, but I didn't want to rely on an air compressor for it to work....although it's probably faster.

I chose the one that reverses the oil flow (7201) so I don't have to open up the cannister and pour the extracted oil out. I usually end up spilling a tad here and there when I pour the used oil for disposal back into the empty oil containers. I'm hoping this system will alleviate that problem.

I think the one I purchased was a little less expensive, but the pricing was so close that it wasn't a factor.

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I have a 12v Shurflo from West Marine; it works great, and you can use it to pump D2 also. I bought my own, more flexible tubing to go with it.