Which MK4 Cam Was A Upgrade Over the MK3 Cam?

D_Bat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Just as the topic states. I forget which one was a upgrade over the stock MK3 cam. I remmeber seeing it somewhere but couldn't ifnd it again through the searches.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
None. First of all, the Mk4 TDI cam has the same specifications as the Mk3, and second, you cannot interchange the cams between generations without machining modifications.

See picture. Left -- Mk4; right -- Mk3

mk3pd

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Passat Quattro :)
TDIMeister said:
None. First of all, the Mk4 TDI cam has the same specifications as the Mk3, and second, you cannot interchange the cams between generations without machining modifications.

See picture. Left -- Mk4; right -- Mk3
You can use MK4 cam in a MK3 because the vacuum pump is driven from the intermediate shaft in the block,not from the camshaft.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
The slots also serve for alignment and fixing the cam timing.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
mk3pd said:
You can use MK4 cam in a MK3 because the vacuum pump is driven from the intermediate shaft in the block,not from the camshaft.
I don't understand well... my car is an AFN(1998) and i supposed that is a MK3 but the vacuum pump is driven from the intermediate shaft...is my engine MK3 or MK4?

Wich is the improvement for to change a MK3 cam for a MK4 cam?

chimaera

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Skoda Superb Combi CR170
Satiro, I can understand how you may be confused. The Mk3/Mk4 nomenclature is referring to iterations of the Golf/Jetta/Vento/Bora line. In the US, there was a limited number of TDI models available (1Z/AHU in the Mk3 and ALH in the Mk4). The 110bhp AFN was never available across the pond.

In Europe, the AFN was available in the Mk4 Golf as well as a number of other VAG group cars, including your Ibiza, which I think may be a Mk3 Ibiza.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
So this means that the 1z and afn=mk3 afn=mk4 all have the same cam and fitment / slot / spec and profile etc.

mk3pd

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Passat Quattro :)
TDIMeister said:
The slots also serve for alignment and fixing the cam timing.
True.
But that should not be a big deal to overcome.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
My old now broken in two Gti "petrol cam had the no slot issue which only had markings instead for the setting of tdc plus had a couple of shims in the other end to lock the sprocket onto the cam the gti cam not being tapered as TDIMeister described in this or another thread...................it would have been much easier if a slot had been made to lock it down though as it was a real hassle when i had to change the lifters as i also didn't want to have to take the sprocket/tb off etc........(pain!!)........my mistake sprocket not belt , indeed the tb had to be removed.

Last edited: