which is a smarter purchase

gwb5036

TDI
01 Golf 4 door 5 spd
I have been tdi shopping for months and this forum has been a massive help. I've really wanted an alh 4 door but between the rarity of a clean car and the craziness of agreeing on price for one with a seller it's been brutal. I have considered the mkvi cars as of late due to feeling like I get more for my money and I can do an emissions delete down the road. I found two cars that either one is a pain to get between flying to it and driving home but so be it. I plan on keeping the car for a long time so it's worth it in the end. assume both cars are clean, rust free, well maintained, and mechanically sound at the time of purchase. Both cars are 4 door golf with manual trans.

there is a 2003 5 speed manual. he's asking 7k I offered 5600. it has 24x,xxx miles and I'm not sure if I want to guy much higher for than that. if you guys believe it's worth more feel free to let me know. I feel like at 150k miles no problem at all but it's a good bit of miles no matter what chassis it is. apparently this guy is firm on price so I don't know that it's in my realm. hypothetically similar car around 6k for argument sake

the other car is a 2012 with 102k miles. they agreed to 8000. cloth seats moon roof heated seats seems quite clean. 6 speed manual.

they are both 4 door manual tdi. these are important to me. I maintain cars myself and don't think I'd ever go to crazy on modifications other than fuel mileage helpers and things to maintain reliability since I do drive 4 to 500 miles a week.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You don't mention what these cars are: Jetta Sedan, Wagon, Golf, or NB. That affects their value. Same with the 2012.

If the seller of the 2003 with 240K on it is asking $7K, it better be perfect, and I mean really perfect. Cosmetically like new, all running gear (suspension, brakes, tires) new or near new, all maintenance complete, good original paint and headliner, clear headlights, I'm dubious that there's any 240K MKIV out there that's worth 7K.

You don't mention what they're asking for the '12.

gwb5036

TDI
01 Golf 4 door 5 spd
sorry I will edit the original post. both are 4 door golf's and I agree with you about the mkiv

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
$7k for an 03 with 240k miles seems outlandish. I’d love to see pics and read what makes it worth so much.

gwb5036

TDI
01 Golf 4 door 5 spd
this is the 03 He has responded "I'm not willing to come down"

I have seen many of these scenarios 300k miles for 5500 or 6k is the other common one. Hard pill to swallow when I'm looking for a daily driver

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I mean, it looks pretty good, but it’s been in an accident that set off the airbags?

I recently bought my 03 with 219k timing belt done at 180k for $2,000. It needed new tires right away, and the fenders had rust from the foam (I replaced them). The rest of the body is extremely clean, especially for upstate NY.

Yes, that Gollf looks a little nicer than my car, but I could spend $3k on upgrades and maintenance and still have $2k left over.

gwb5036

TDI
01 Golf 4 door 5 spd
I've seen that one pedro Too many miles for me. I am going to be stacking miles on it as well so I don't wanna start so high

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I understand.

The way I see it, TDI 4-cyl engines are all very similar, yes injection is VERY different between the different generations: VE pump, PD, CR...and exhaust treatment is also very different, but if you are deleting, and perhaps changing from CP4 to CP3 pump, then you will have a rock solid car.

There are plenty of examples of VE and PD cars racking mile after mile with barely any major work needed. Heck I still have a 2004 wagon BEW engine (PD), that has 420k km, only really needed a lift pump, tandem pump, turbo actuator, everything else was my own learning curve: I replaced a MAF that was probably fine...ahh, and wear items like clutch, suspension bits, upgrade radio.

IMO, the 2012 is a smarter buy. You'll start years ahead of rust, which in PA is something to consider. Then delete and CP4 to CP3 conversion, and you can roll worry free.

gwb5036

TDI
01 Golf 4 door 5 spd
Thanks pedro! I feel like the enthusiast in me loves the classic ALH but the consumer in me sees the mkvi as a better purchase. I want to get something on the road for years to come and to save me fuel and worries in the long run.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
" Could not find an airbag controller" ...not for me, not for $7k.

Show us the 2012.

...used car prices are nuts these days, I bought both my 2015 before the pandemic for under $12k each, one with a little over 100k miles, the Passat with 80k miles

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
this is the 03 He has responded "I'm not willing to come down"

I have seen many of these scenarios 300k miles for 5500 or 6k is the other common one. Hard pill to swallow when I'm looking for a daily driver
Too much for that car. Interior isn't perfect (door cards), needs suspension (look at the gap under the hood at the strut tops). I suspect the front fenders have been replaced although it's hard to tell in photos, makes me wonder about the condition of the rocker panels.

That's a $4000, maybe $5000 car, IMO.

gwb5036

TDI
01 Golf 4 door 5 spd
Indigo thanks a ton for that input!! really appreciate it. I couldn't tell if I was being cheap or if the car just genuinely isn't worth it. these are the points I mention when people say the motor lasts so long. the rest of the car has the same miles and everything wears out in time.

this is the 2012 he said he would go to 8k but no lower.

gwb5036

TDI
01 Golf 4 door 5 spd
I saw that. that is just for emissions though correct? so my plan would basically be ride out the warranty that delete it.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Not just emissions, any CEL involving the engine too: injection system (think CP4 crapping out), turbo...

Although, dealers can be very stubborn on not doing warranty work in general, but you push back, call VWoA, change dealers

gwb5036

TDI
01 Golf 4 door 5 spd
Oh thats awesome! I didn't realize it was a full warranty like that! might be a swing in the right direction to consider...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'd go for the 12. My wife still kicks me for giving up her 11 Golf, even though it was a dsg. I've used the extended warranty twice on the 10 JSW without any issues. I have to add that it was the same dealer that did the dieselgate work and where I've serviced the car for most of it's life.