Which GTB turbo

powermandan

TDI
ABL, AHU, AFN
Hello all.

Ive got used to my Hybrid BV43 and now I fancy something with a bit more poke.

I estimate my Van is running around 230hp.

So a nice jump would be to 260hp ish.

Seems like the likley candidates are:

GTB2056VK
GTB2056VL
GTB2060V
GTB2060VKLR
GTB2260VKLR

Can anybody confirm if the VK and VL are basically the same turbo, there is quite a price difference.

I obviously want my cake and to eat it.

So out of those listed which ones are going to get me to my HP goal and which ones are going to spool the fastest

Thanks Dan

altz1

Veteran Member
TDI
A8 4H 4.2TDI, Cayenne 4.2TDI, 6.0TDI
GTD2263VZK from me, and you can go after 350hp :D

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Why not a GTD? Two flavours to choose from( at least two compressor inducer sizes in the '56 ).

Douglas

shanky887614

TDI
vw caddy arl
For 250bhp or there abouts go for a gtd2060 this spools very quick and is good for close to 300 so it will last a long time.

Im running a gtb2365vk journel bearing making 4bar absolute at 3k rpm (thats 3bar boost)

Ive not finished mapping it yet (request is 2.7bar boost)

TDI
99 & 03 ALH
Which one would you recommend for my power goals. I haven't read to much about GTD as everyone seems to really like the 2260VKLR
Like stated above, a water cooled GTD2060vz would be perfect for your power goal. 60mm compressor wheel and it will spool as quickly as a stock unit without all the EGTs and EMP that can damage the engine over time.

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
The gtb2056vl is off the volvo 2.4d and it’s cheap as chips, fits well on stock pd130 longitudinal cast manifold with simple adapter plate or you can use gtb adapter flange from darkside and gtb2260vk Audi Hotside and it will fit plug and play onto Audi/Passat manifold !
It will spool as quick as your bv43 while supporting enough airflow for 250-260bhp with decent egt.
The gtb2260vk is also hard to beat, also fits on stock Audi/Passat (AVF/AWX/AFN/AVG) manifolds and will support in excess of 300 bhp with ease !
The gtb2060vklr is actually my favourite, even the 2260vklr will spool very nice on a 1.9/2.0 tdi with low egt as well ! I didn’t try the new gtd turbos although everyone raves about them- they are quite expensive in my opinion and require extensive modification in order to make them fit bag engines ! Most are cut and welded on cast manifolds and they sometimes crack due to dissimilar metals being welded (cast iron vs cast steel)…

FangersTDI

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6 Speed
I am also peeking the GTB18/2056’s. Seems to be the sweet spot for 230-260. Journal bearing all day for me as a daily

david mihai

TDI
VW Polo
Hello all.

Ive got used to my Hybrid BV43 and now I fancy something with a bit more poke.

I estimate my Van is running around 230hp.

So a nice jump would be to 260hp ish.

Seems like the likley candidates are:

GTB2056VK
GTB2056VL
GTB2060V
GTB2060VKLR
GTB2260VKLR

Can anybody confirm if the VK and VL are basically the same turbo, there is quite a price difference.

I obviously want my cake and to eat it.

So out of those listed which ones are going to get me to my HP goal and which ones are going to spool the fastest

Thanks Dan

There is one more interesting option - GTD2060VRK Ball Bearing. The base is the stock turbo from Ford F-150 as I know.

powermandan

TDI
ABL, AHU, AFN
Thank you for the suggestion.

I went with a GTB2060VKLR in the end

Fitting it this weekend, if the weather holds out

powermandan

TDI
ABL, AHU, AFN
Most are cut and welded on cast manifolds and they sometimes crack due to dissimilar metals being welded (cast iron vs cast steel)…
The 2060VKLR was cast iron, I had to weld it as I was going top mount. I used a 55% nickel rod. Preheated the casting until it was a dull glow. And put it back on preheat after every 1/2" of weld. After Peening it death. Then it spent afternoon in oven cooling down. There was no pinging. So fairly sure I did a good job. It was welded to some schedule 10 stainless

If it snaps in too I'll report back. Not a great deal of info out there how to go about it

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
I also use some expensive high nickel electrodes (oerlikon) to weld cast iron housings and manifolds, no need to heat it if you’re doing it cold or use a torch to preheat. Peening works on old castings which are usually full of sand and impurities…it stops cracking…