which Glow plug for CJAA ?

yasuep

TDI
MKV
Hi:
I got an idiot light a couple weeks ago. If the engine is on/off cycled about 3~4 times it clears itself. However if driven for any distance the CIL appears. It was P13CE( cylinder #1) bad pressure sensor in the glow plug.
So is this the cylinder closest to the timing belt or furthest away from the timing belt ?

2nd question is which GP 03L905061F or the G is best ?
It seems that "F" is Beru and "G" is OEM ? but they are both OEM numbers.
THis is a 2010 Jetta with a CJAA engine. Both seem to be listed for the CJAA. There is a substantial difference in price so I am curious as to which one is the better one ?

Last question is: what is the best method to pull the GP's connector off ? Just pull with a pair of pliers or curved needle nose pliers ? Is it necessary to put a layer of cardboard between the jaws and the connector housing ? How much force is required. I tried to pull with my fingers as hard as I could and they did not even wiggle. I did not see any latch mechanism to release ?

Sincerely
Peter

Stutgart

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Thankfully, cylinder number one is still on the belt side of the engine, not the transmission side. The glow plug number also follows the cylinder number; VW had this mucked up on past engines, believe it or not.

There is nothing better than Beru. NOTHING!

As far as pulling, I have all the red-neck engineering techniques worked out too: cardboard, bailing wire and a 2x4 wood or bigger as required to get leverage. But!!! the VW manual says use puller pliers which look like GM HEI spark plug wire pliers. Be patient and it will pull off.

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I too have a glow plug throwing an intermittent MIL:

1 Fault Found:
005076 - Cylinder 3 Internal Pressure Sensor
P13D4 - 000 - Short to Plus - MIL ON
2010 Jetta as well, out of curiosity, what's the mileage on yours?

From every source I have found, 03L905061F is the correct part number for our glow plugs.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
It seems that "F" is Beru and "G" is OEM ? but they are both OEM numbers.
I am pretty sure that the OEM one is also made by Beru. Use some anti-seize compound on the threads and DO NOT overtorque them. IIRC the correct torque for these GPs is only about 12Nm which is about 8 ft-lbs or 100 in-lbs. I would check to confirm these torque values. Over-tightening these plugs can break them.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. {edit} I just looked it up in my service manual. Correct glow plug torque is 15Nm (11 ft-lb).

Last edited:

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
2010-Jetta-TDI-DSG-Salsa Red
I've also been having this issue code; P13D4

I'm getting ready to order the aforementioned glow plug replacement off of id parts website and it's the F model.

I'm debating switching the glow plug from cyl 3 to cyl 4 just to verify that it's the plug, but I'm fairly confident that it is and it may be a waste of time. I've read this is what the dealer would do.

Has anybody had any luck getting this replacement covered outside the 3 year warranty. Called the dealer and they said it probably wouldn't be because glow plugs are considered 'wear' items... but with 34,000 miles on my car we know this is not 'wear'.

R/

Jeff

yasuep

TDI
MKV
I too have a glow plug throwing an intermittent MIL:

2010 Jetta as well, out of curiosity, what's the mileage on yours?
94,000miles

From every source I have found, 03L905061F is the correct part number for our glow plugs.

I ordered one. And I just ordered a v-checker v-202 to check the codes myself. I noticed that if a cycle engine about three or four times the mil turns off. But if I drive for several miles or more it turns back on.

yasuep

TDI
MKV
how to remove the GP connector ?

Hi:
I looked at the service manual, and a fancy looking pair of pliers is used to pull on the glow plug connector. I guess it is easy to damage. I tried to pull as hard as I could with my fingers and none of the GP connectors budged. Any suggestions as to what inexpensive tool can be used pull the GP connector off with out damaging them, in lieu of getting a +$30 pair of specialty pliers ?
Peter

Last edited:

Stutgart

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Thankfully, cylinder number one is still on the belt side of the engine, not the transmission side. The glow plug number also follows the cylinder number; VW had this mucked up on past engines, believe it or not.

There is nothing better than Beru. NOTHING!

As far as pulling, I have all the red-neck engineering techniques worked out too: cardboard, bailing wire and a 2x4 wood or bigger as required to get leverage. But!!! the VW manual says use puller pliers which look like GM HEI spark plug wire pliers. Be patient and it will pull off.
GM= General Motors
HEI= High Energy Ignition
spark plug wire pliers= ask the guy at NAPA or any other experienced parts counter person.

If you ask this again, Pete, then I will no longer use English on this site. Only Klingnon, and that gets hard to translate.:)

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
just replaced my glow plug, took 10 min, i found values of 20 NM for breaking (loosening) tq and 12 NM for tightening.

The harness that connects to the plug connector can be somewhat un clipped from the tray it sits in to give you more room to pull it off the glow plug without putting too much tension on the wire, it was not necessary to remove the entire fuel line etc as some writeups say. It looks like the no 3 GP is the hardest to get the connector off of.

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
Also, the GP I got from the dealer says Borg Warner on it where the OEM one I pulled said BERU, after a bit of research I discovered that Borg Warner now owns BERU and apparently started putting their name on the part this was the 'G' part number.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I'm interested in the odometer readings of those who have had these "GP pressure sensor" failures..... I've had two of mine causing me CELs for quite a while now (a few months) and I've just rolled over 100k (miles) on my odometer....

As a side note, I haven't yet ordered replacements or planned to perform the service

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
34,000 here

car runs the same after the swap... annoying to spend 100 bucks to turn off a light essentially

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I need to look up what system makes use of the reading from those sensors.... like I said, I've got two giving me errors, but now that the negative temperatures are just around the corner, I might start running into issues...

Where did you find the plugs for only $100?

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.