Which Boostvalve for RC2/RC3 Euro tune?

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Tried the search function but wasn't finding a decent comparison between boostvalves.

My 2003 Jetta with VNT15 will receive either a RC2 or RC3 Euro tune from Jeff late this month. Mods at time of tune will include Bosch .205 injectors, DG Racepipe, OMI, MyCruiseAgent EGT probe, Dynaflow CCV and mufflerectomy.

VNT17 upgrade is a possibility in a couple years.The boostvalve kits I am considering are:

TDI Racing $79.95 shipped

BoostValve $49.00 plus shipping

3 Bar Racing $35.00 shipped

Would one of these boostvalve kits be better suited to an RC3 Euro tune and possible VNT17 upgrade than the others or should I just buy the cheapest one and put the savings toward the boost gauge?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
doc_m said:
I'm thinking a proper chip tune should not need a boostvalve.
I like the insurance, kinda like driving on 4 good tires and keeping a spare in the trunk, may never need to use the spare but its nice to have just in case.
Which chip tuner can guarantee their tune will never result in boost spikes or other variables that may cause boost spikes?

Last edited:

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
Well, first you would have to define what is the spike point. Say it is X, then the chiptuner that keeps the boost below X at all times would be the proper chip tune for doc_m.

However, if you are careful with the "entire" modification package you can be a bit more aggressive and still be ok. For example, you can not just install modifications and hammer on it without knowing what is happening (boost, EGT, etc) and how to adjust them if needed.

RC3 ASV after VNT adjustment (no boostvalve required on that!):

I adjusted once more so that it does spike slightly above requested. It then followed the requested closer that way. I never saved the graph though...

Jason

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
Minimal, like I said that was not the final adjustment either. It now spikes to 19 and hammers the requested line all the way.

Do you have a log similar? I floored it about 1900 RPM...

When I first backed off the VNT we had no more than 12 lbs of boost (with he same tune) lol. Now THAT was lag!

Jason

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Yes 12psi of boost would be rather unbearable :)

No no logs yet with this tune in, but this is just the first round. I need to do logs to send back to have fine tuned. Mine will spike ~3psi right now if I tromp it from a stand still. Not bad for an initial tune, and the first auto that has been done by Alligator as far as I know. This is the agressive version I'm running at the moment too, if I put the trailer towing one in then there is no spike what so ever (and a bit less power but that is for obvious reasons).

Last edited:

FlashandFlare

Veteran Member
TDI
03,Jetta GLS Reflex on Blk leather, 06 Jetta Blk on Blk Pkg 2
brew1 said:
Tried the search function but wasn't finding a decent comparison between boostvalves.

My 2003 Jetta with VNT15 will receive either a RC2 or RC3 Euro tune from Jeff late this month. Mods at time of tune will include Bosch .205 injectors, DG Racepipe, OMI, MyCruiseAgent EGT probe, Dynaflow CCV and mufflerectomy.

VNT17 upgrade is a possibility in a couple years.The boostvalve kits I am considering are:

TDI Racing $79.95 shipped

BoostValve $49.00 plus shipping

3 Bar Racing $35.00 shipped

Would one of these boostvalve kits be better suited to an RC3 Euro tune and possible VNT17 upgrade than the others or should I just buy the cheapest one and put the savings toward the boost gauge?
Thanks for your help.
I have RC2+ and will soon be upgrading to ASV110 RC3 and am using the boost valve from boostvalve.com with out any issues.
Been using it for the last 60k with good results.
Jeff himself set it for me at the 05 TDI fest.
Flash and Flare

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
Oh yeah, sorry about the off topic stuff. I used the boostvalve.com one. However, I did not know TDIRacing was selling one. If it helps their team, I would buy from them.

Jason

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
I have RC 3 Euro and .205's with a Boostvalve. Easy to set up, works perfect (25,000 mls) and not to hard to hide.

If you are getting .205's, I would not waste my money on an EGT monitor. And, if you have plans for a PD 150 turbo, the .205's will not even allow your motor to reach the turbo's potential.

Get Power Plus 520's, RC 3 Euro, Boostvalve, EGT monitor.
Then, if you get the VNT 17b, you will be OK fuel and monitoring-wise.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
JungleDeath said:
I have RC 3 Euro and .205's with a Boostvalve. Easy to set up, works perfect (25,000 mls) and not to hard to hide.

If you are getting .205's, I would not waste my money on an EGT monitor. And, if you have plans for a PD 150 turbo, the .205's will not even allow your motor to reach the turbo's potential.

Get Power Plus 520's, RC 3 Euro, Boostvalve, EGT monitor.
Then, if you get the VNT 17b, you will be OK fuel and monitoring-wise.
I already swapped out the original injectors for a set of Bosch .205 injectors that I purchased from RedRotors a couple years ago. I have the originals boxed up and ready to be sent away for upgrading when necessary.

Sounds like the boostvalve from BoostValve.com is getting the job done for several of you and from what your telling me, is easily adjusted for future modifications.

Thanks for the info.

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
It's a way of preventing your turbo from spike.

Basically, it puts positive pressure in your vacuum lines and causes the vanes on the turbo to close faster than if just the ECU was controlling it.

Very effective. Although mine hasn't been working lately. I made one on my own for 1/3 of the cost. But mine doesn't have the calibrated spring.

Last edited:

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
Oh, the "other" TDIRacing. The one selling the cheap nozzles and stuff. Well, nevermind...

Jason