Which battery is better

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I did not read every post to this thread, but I have a couple of comments.

In 2006, my 2000 Jetta TDI with the OE battery sit for 7 weeks without being started. Once I had recuperated from surgery and given the go ahead to drive, I got in my beloved TDI to go for a ride ............it started-up immediately! No solar panel either!

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
My Jetta wouldn't start the other day (while filming the idparts.com cold start challenge) http://youtu.be/mZDyfqC08mQ
It's an interstate that's 3 years old. Brought it back and they charged it overnight and it tests good. I don't trust it anymore (read 10.5v on my SGII). The 2004 battery I took out at first signs of old age and stuck on the shelf was still fully charged... Think I'll be swinging by Advance auto - looks like $180 with a discount code for their Autocraft platinum AGM.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
My Jetta wouldn't start the other day (while filming the idparts.com cold start challenge) http://youtu.be/mZDyfqC08mQ
It's an interstate that's 3 years old. Brought it back and they charged it overnight and it tests good. I don't trust it anymore (read 10.5v on my SGII). The 2004 battery I took out at first signs of old age and stuck on the shelf was still fully charged... Think I'll be swinging by Advance auto - looks like $180 with a discount code for their Autocraft platinum AGM.
Well, the company that made your Interstate is the same company that makes the Advanced Auto battery. The only difference might be flooded vs AGM which is a big difference

What Interstate battery do you have?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, the company that made your Interstate is the same company that makes the Advanced Auto battery. The only difference might be flooded vs AGM which is a big difference
What Interstate battery do you have?
I have to check which model it is. It is the one spec'd for a TDI. I used to swear by Interstate, but recently I haven't been hearing good things. I have a couple of friends that have had problems with them too (non- diesels). I switched to AGM in my ATV and motorcycle and think that's the route to go now. It was -10F here yesterday. The Jetta won't crank fast enough to start at 10 above, but spins perfectly at anything over 20ish. Since I have the crappy first recall glowplugs, it won't fire on the first try (or 5). I'll get a price on an AGM from the Interstate dealer as a comparison. I can plug in the Jetta at home, but it'll sit outside at work for 10+ hours where I can't. Luckily I have a really good jump pack to carry.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have to check which model it is. It is the one spec'd for a TDI. I used to swear by Interstate, but recently I haven't been hearing good things. I have a couple of friends that have had problems with them too (non- diesels). I switched to AGM in my ATV and motorcycle and think that's the route to go now. It was -10F here yesterday. The Jetta won't crank fast enough to start at 10 above, but spins perfectly at anything over 20ish. Since I have the crappy first recall glowplugs, it won't fire on the first try (or 5). I'll get a price on an AGM from the Interstate dealer as a comparison. I can plug in the Jetta at home, but it'll sit outside at work for 10+ hours where I can't. Luckily I have a really good jump pack to carry.
Please update on what you buy? I am curious. I just bought another OEM battery but am open to trying other brands, especially those with 3 or 4 year REPLACEMENT warranties.

If you're spending the same amount of money, the one year OEM warranty is useless.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Please update on what you buy? I am curious. I just bought another OEM battery but am open to trying other brands, especially those with 3 or 4 year REPLACEMENT warranties.
If you're spending the same amount of money, the one year OEM warranty is useless.
I certainly will - right now this is what I'm planning on buying (unless someone convinces me differently!): http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...tery-group-size-h7-850-cca-h7-agm/10210826-P#
The sears and autozone batteries were identical units with 800CCA. The advance one is listed as 850. All right about $195 Since I can use an online discount and it has a higher rating, the advance unit makes more sense.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
That looks like it will work, they want $200 for that at my local store.
Couple months ago I purchased an OEM at the dealer for $130. They said it came from Interstate and that it carried a 5 year warranty. I'm sure that's pro-rated.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That looks like it will work, they want $200 for that at my local store.
Couple months ago I purchased an OEM at the dealer for $130. They said it came from Interstate and that it carried a 5 year warranty. I'm sure that's pro-rated.
Try entering P20 as a discount code - took 20% off for me (I've chatted with them and gotten 30% off codes before). Buy online and pick up in store.

Interstate said 2 year replacement, the remainder of the 5 is prorated. Unfortunately they are telling me that my battery is good when it wouldn't start the car so the warranty is meaningless. I'll have it load tested somewhere else to confirm and stick it in another car. Obviously I need the car to start at any temp.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I certainly will - right now this is what I'm planning on buying (unless someone convinces me differently!): http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...tery-group-size-h7-850-cca-h7-agm/10210826-P#
The sears and autozone batteries were identical units with 800CCA. The advance one is listed as 850. All right about $195 Since I can use an online discount and it has a higher rating, the advance unit makes more sense.
That's because Johnson Controls makes both batteries. The Advanced Auto is 3 year free REPLACEMENT warranty.

I have only heard of a 1 year warranty with VW and certainly not 5 year.

Napa battery (same battery as Sears, Autozone, Advanced Auto and Pep Boys) warranty is pro-rated.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
There are so many differing opinions on which batteries are best/worst/mediocre that it's almost not worth discussing because nobody can agree on anything.

I'll stick with Interstate batteries from the Interstate store, myself. :)

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
So a company that make Interstate Batteries, Sears Diehard, Napa batteries, Autozone, Advanced Auto batteries and Optima would specifically choose to make a crappy battery as long as it's sold at Kmart or some other "lower" level store?

Is that what you're saying?
Well, not exactly... If KMart (for instance) wanted a battery at a certain price point, that battery (while still a JC) may not be the same battery, tech or specs if you bought a comparably priced Interstate or AZ battery. That is all I'm trying to say.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, not exactly... If KMart (for instance) wanted a battery at a certain price point, that battery (while still a JC) may not be the same battery, tech or specs if you bought a comparably priced Interstate or AZ battery. That is all I'm trying to say.
ok, got it. that makes more sense

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are so many differing opinions on which batteries are best/worst/mediocre that it's almost not worth discussing because nobody can agree on anything.

Given my experience with a 1 year VW warranty, I'm going for a 3 or 4 year Replacement warranty and an online coupon whoever offers the best package.

If I were getting one today, it'd be the Bosch from Pepboys or Advanced Auto battery made by Johnson Controls who also makes the Interstate Battery.

What is the Interstate warranty?

nickfancher1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI - 39k - DSG
I just had my battery replaced at the dealer yesterday. They come with a 5 year warranty. 3 years free replacement and 2 years afterwards prorated. My battery was 2 years old from being previous replaced there and died. Was replaced for free and I got a new 5 year warranty. My car kills a battery every 2 years in my hot climate so I essentially have free batteries for life.

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 TDI
Not mentioned yet here are Odyssey Extreme batteries. I've had a PC-1700 (142 RC, 68 AH), which fits just barely in my '04. Going on year 6. The original battery died around this time in its life (late '09) and still going strong. Not cheap though, $290 in '09.

Another reason to go AGM? No more white acid buildup on the terminals. The corrosion is caused by off-gassing of the battery, and AGM's are truly sealed and never off-gas. (they're pressurized, the gases recombine inside).

It's also come in handy a couple of times with our T@b RV as an additional battery. I just leave the 7-pin tow plug connected and it supplies power to the RV if its own gets too low. It's a true deep-cycle so it works out well with no damage to the battery.

Way back in the day, we sold our '95 Jetta GL with 135K in '03, and it still had the OEM battery going strong (8 years old!). It was a Varta, made in Germany. They just don't make them like they used to.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not mentioned yet here are Odyssey Extreme batteries. I've had a PC-1700 (142 RC, 68 AH), which fits just barely in my '04. Going on year 6. The original battery died around this time in its life (late '09) and still going strong. Not cheap though, $290 in '09.

Another reason to go AGM? No more white acid buildup on the terminals. The corrosion is caused by off-gassing of the battery, and AGM's are truly sealed and never off-gas. (they're pressurized, the gases recombine inside).

It's also come in handy a couple of times with our T@b RV as an additional battery. I just leave the 7-pin tow plug connected and it supplies power to the RV if its own gets too low. It's a true deep-cycle so it works out well with no damage to the battery.

Way back in the day, we sold our '95 Jetta GL with 135K in '03, and it still had the OEM battery going strong (8 years old!). It was a Varta, made in Germany. They just don't make them like they used to.
Section I - Product and Manufacturer Identity
Product identity:
Sealed Lead Battery
Cyclon®, Genesis®, SBS, SBS J, Hawker XETM Odyssey® or Trolling ThunderTM
Manufacturer's Name and Address:
EnerSys Energy Products Inc. (formerly Hawker Energy Products Inc.) 617 North Ridgeview Drive
Warrensburg, MO 64093-9301
Emergency Telephone Number: (660) 429-2165
Customer Service Telephone Number: 800-964-2837

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI

That was my thought 3 years ago - Interstate MTP-94R/H7 direct from an interstate warehouse. Doesn't start the car under about 20F. Interstate says it's good, but clearly isn't. Others have told me that interstate has gone downhill over the last couple of years. I wouldn't have believed it until recently dealing with 2 problems with them.

I just can't trust driving the car right now - with highs in the teens, it won't start when I leave work.

I'll pick up the Advance AGM today or Saturday and report back (of course it's supposed to be warmer here next week).

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just had my battery replaced at the dealer yesterday. They come with a 5 year warranty. 3 years free replacement and 2 years afterwards prorated. My battery was 2 years old from being previous replaced there and died. Was replaced for free and I got a new 5 year warranty. My car kills a battery every 2 years in my hot climate so I essentially have free batteries for life.
I bought from an independent parts place from the dealer. That's probably why. But they supposedly called the dealer to ask about the warranty. Maybe the dealerships in AZ can afford to warranty batteries like that.

Oh well.

Last edited:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
For those buying AGM batteries, there are folks here that frown upon the charge characteristics of our Alt/Reg. AGM needs higher voltage and at different temps than a FLA or 'std.' battery. There are also folks who have added diodes (IIRC) to the regulator to bring the charge voltage up a few clicks. That said, I haven't read any threads here about AGM's failing prematurely, etc. Though the charge profile may not be ideal, it could be more of a worry than an actual issue.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I picked up the Advance Auto AGM battery on Friday. $167 after 15% off plus I'll get a $25 gift card (they routinely have 20% off codes for online purchases and occasionally 30%, up to $50).

It was only a bit over 15F, but it definitely started better. I'm going to bring the Interstate battery in to them to have it load tested to get a second opinion. I can always use the battery in something - I think it'll turn my Samuri over fairly well :)

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I picked up the Advance Auto AGM battery on Friday. $167 after 15% off plus I'll get a $25 gift card (they routinely have 20% off codes for online purchases and occasionally 30%, up to $50).
It was only a bit over 15F, but it definitely started better. I'm going to bring the Interstate battery in to them to have it load tested to get a second opinion. I can always use the battery in something - I think it'll turn my Samuri over fairly well :)
Nice.

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
AGM working well?

Hi Folks. Just picked up an AGM for my MK VI Golf. This thread has a lot of good info in it. My OEM Varta flooded battery lasted 3 years to the day.

I'm in Canada, so the pricing doesn't align with the US, but the local Mercedes Benz dealer sells OEM Varta Silver Dynamic Ultra AGM with a MB sticker on it. Made in Germany. I paid over $100 LESS than the Interstate MT7 AGM up here.

70 Ah, 760 CCA with 2 year free replacement and 50% pro-rate in year 3 and 4. MB part (A 004 541 86 01).

There's concerns in the MK VI section about charging rates, etc. The MK VI has a DPF and does regenerations where it burns off soot. This is very high load situation, especially if its been interrupted and the cooling fans run on high speed for about 10 minutes. The heat in the engine bay is amazing. I've never seen an diesel engine bay get this hot before. I figure this is what shortened the life of the original battery.

For the those running AGM batteries, have you had any issues with charging, discharging or anything else? I'm hoping to get more than 3 years out of this battery.

Thanks,

H.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
For the those running AGM batteries, have you had any issues with charging, discharging or anything else?
Mine is doing just fine. However, it is summer so I really won't know much until the temps go into the negative farenheights.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I don't know much about these, found this;

In most cases AGM batteries will give a longer life span than a wet cell battery, but will not stand up as well to hot temperatures and high discharge load.

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
My battery in my 2000 beetle ALH just died on me. The dealer battery was 2yrs1mo old and was a 72Ah 000 915 105 DG.

I replaced it with an Advance Auto Autocraft Gold 94R H7. It fits in the beetle with no battery box.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
That nice looking Bosch battery is an AGM, and from my reading, AGM batteries require a different charge rate then flooded batteries.

Some interesting reading here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4718475

and here, post #5: https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=420022

and here:

"As with all gelled and sealed units, AGM batteries are sensitive to overcharging. A charge to 2.40V/cell (and higher) is fine; however, the float charge should be reduced to between 2.25 and 2.30V/cell (summer temperatures may require lower voltages).

Automotive charging systems for flooded lead acid often have a fixed float voltage setting of 14.40V (2.40V/cell); a direct replacement with a sealed unit could overcharge the battery on a long drive."

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._glass_mat_agm

Last edited: