Where's the oil filter???

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Where\'s the oil filter???

Is the Oil filter the black plastic topped cylindrical jobby-doo underneath the beauty-shroud on the front of the 1.9 tdi???

------------------

Big A

Re: Where\'s the oil filter???

Yep, that's the oil filter housing. Just unscrew the plastic cap and a cartridge filter lives inside.

InfoSec

Veteran Member

kewl. thanks. My problem since I was a kid is that I love to take things apart and see how they work. But I'd hate to get into something I can't get myself out of. I'm ordering a VW service manual from "wherever.com" to go through everything before I ever have to take it back to the dealer. I really don't want anybody f*cking anything up including myself. Thanks again.

GoGolfing

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 Candy White

When you remove the filter does oil get all over the engine or is it designed so that it drains in that position?
--> Then again this wouldn't be a good design 'cause oil needs to be in the filter for best oiling during starting the motor.

I took the "beauty cover" off last nIght and took a look around...

My Bently manual is on order thru Amazon.com

TIA,
Paul

[This message has been edited by GoGolfing (edited July 04, 2000).]

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg

When replacing the oil filter cartridge do not forget to replace the 2 o-rings.

InfoSec

Veteran Member

... there might be some sort of check valve in the filter's connection. I would assume that the engines last so long because of the combination of a good lubricating system and that the lube system has some sort of check valve to keep some oil in the filter for quick lubrication at start up. I'm going to do some investigation of a pre-oiler. Has anybody heard of one yet? You know, a 12 volt motor/pump that could operate when the key is turned? It might be able to be rigged to come on for a few seconds and then time-out before the engine starts... I used this kind of application in a small-block chevy I had in an 82 camaro... any thoughts?

M

mickey

When I first got my TDI my dad and I spent about 30 minutes under the hood playing "What the hell is THAT?" It was quite entertaining. Now, everything else looks weird to me. Especially spark plug wires. (I own just two cars now, and there isn't a plug wire to be seen anywhere!)

-mickey

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige

mickey, you mean some cars still have spark wires??! I thought those went the way of magneto ignitions and carburators!

Clatterman

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf GLS

have you noticed when you change yer oil that after running the engine for 30 seconds, the oil is as dirty as the stuff you just drained...???

I'd love to know where the other 3 quarts are hiding.

GoGolfing

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 Candy White

I have noticed that when starting my car after it's been sitting the engine is a bit clattery (NOISY) until 10 seconds later when the oil is circulating fully...

Anyone else notice this?

Mine is garage parked so I can hear it very well when I start it.

Someone mentioned a check valve and that's why I'm wondering if the TDI has one...

TIA

[This message has been edited by GoGolfing (edited July 16, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by GoGolfing (edited July 17, 2000).]

M

mickey

The clattering is the sound of the empty valve lifters waiting to be filled with oil. It hurts absolutely nothing. When the clattering stops you know that oil has reached all the critical parts and you are ready to drive off. All cars take a few seconds to get the oil pressure up, but very few are kind enough to give you an audible indication! Think of it as a thoughtful engineering touch.

clatterman: It takes very little soot to make the oil black. My oil was shiny clean when I bought the car, and black as pitch 300 miles later. It'll never be perfectly clean.

-mickey

comsult

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Dk. Blue

I was informed by my dealer's mechanic that it's just not a beauty cover, it's a sound damper too. The under engine plastic pan is there for sound reduction too.
Any-one know if he is bullsh*&ing me?

PS HOW DO YOU GET THE DAMN BEUTY COVER OFF?

M

mickey

They serve various functions. The "beauty panel", which many folks here consider to be a hideous blasphemy, definitely dampens the sound of the engine. Especially as heard from outside the car. It also helps to insulate the engine, which is an important consideration for a diesel engine in the winter.

The bottom cover helps deaden sound, too, but its most important jobs are to improve the aerodynamics of the car, and to keep road salt, goo, rocks and debris from messing up the underhood bits. The stuff "down low" is vulnerable to damage and deterioration, and the "belly pan" goes a long way to preventing this.

To remove the top cover: Use a screwdriver to pop out the two circular "plugs". This will expose a pair of 10mm bolts. There is a third 10mm fastener at the rear of the cover. Loosen all three of them and then remove the oil dipstick. The cover lifts right off.

To remove the bottom cover: Put the car up on ramps, and use a T-20 TORX driver to remove the fastening screws.

-mickey

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White

Now that I've gone through the Bentley manual and found nothing as nice, I think this pic by GiWilli should be here in the FAQ's:

[ March 13, 2002, 17:14: Message edited by: Dorado ]