Where's the ECU on the Golf IV?

dennez

Where\'s the ECU on the Golf IV?

Can anybody tell me where i can find that
ecu on my (euro) golf IV. I want to see if i have a socketed version, so i can easily
put in a wetterauer chip.
(The car's lease, so i want the chip to
be easily swappable
)

S

SkyPup

Re: Where\'s the ECU on the Golf IV?

Lift up the hood. Look at the black plastic cowling at the base of the windshield. The ECU is sitting in the center of the firewall right in the middle, it is a silver box with two heavy wires running into it from either side. It is difficult to get out but do-able ultimately.

M

mickey

SkyPup, how do I get to the box in my NB? I assume it's somewhere under that vast expanse of dashboard. On a related subject, anybody have a good idea how to use all that real estate behind the windshield? I think a little electric train set puttering around would be funny. Or perhaps I could use it as a greenhouse and start my tomato plants there.

-mickey

S

SkyPup

hehehehe, that would be a good place to grow some tomatoes while parked in the sun, trouble with that is that the dirt and water would leak down into your ECU and wreck it.
Mickey, the hump in the middle of the dash slides foward manually after you get it started with a screwdriver or knife blade, be careful not to nick or mar the finish. After you slide that forward, you take out a couple of Torx screws on the left side panel and lift that entire panel up. Below that surface dash panel is another insulated panel with about 6 or 7 screws around the rim of it, remove those Phillips screws and lift of that panel, viola -> the secretive and very intelligent Beetle ECU. Pop off the electrical end caps carefully on the two large connectors after pulling out the release latch. Now the brain of your coveted Beetle is in your hands, hope that you are grounded and no sprarks fly, or for sure, that Bug will be instantly grounded. hehe, it's not that bad.