Where you guys buying parts?

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
I need a clutch and a timing belt, do you guys have a good Ontario guy,or buy from ID parts?

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I use Roseland Tech mostly, not sure if they have clutches though. There’s also GermanOEM and Concept1, I have no experience with those though.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Oh wait, just realized you said ONTARIO. Well then I’m no help.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I buy most of my parts online from Germanoem. Their ALH timing belt kit is comparable to ID Parts.

If I need something in a hurry I call Perjad at Precision Tuning and pick up in person.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
anybody near London, Chatham or Sarnia have a timing belt tool kit i can rent?

Will a 1.9 PD tool kit work?

Last edited:

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD tools won't work for ALH.

The club has an ALH kit, free to use, but a deposit is required and it's in Toronto.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Or if you’re a handy fellow, make em. Cam lock plate is easy, 3/16 plate, just have to grind the part that goes in the cam slot a bit thinner. Drill bit of appropriate size to pin the pump etc.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I’ve used a drill bit to pin the pump before, but now I’m afraid that’s too brittle and might snap in a bad way. The pump doesnt want to stay in the pinned position, and there’s a decent torque on the pin.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I’ve used a drill bit to pin the pump before, but now I’m afraid that’s too brittle and might snap in a bad way. The pump doesnt want to stay in the pinned position, and there’s a decent torque on the pin.
Yeah that’s a good point. When I did mine I used a stubby Phillips screwdriver, the shank happened to be just the right diameter.
Anyway, all the dimensions are in this thread: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/a3-b4-a4-timing-belt-tool-dimensions.148798/

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Idparts
Cascade germain
eBay.Uk
Dealer (online they give 40% off snd some of the items I need are cheaper than our vendors)
Also white bread performance I think is from CA
I’d ask Malone he’s from Canada or Jeff Stevenson who also is a Canuck.
You can also try dark side they were rude to me the first time I messaged them asking about their product, so Id go there as a last resort.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
Other then rockauto in the US, there is virtually no point of using any vendor outside of Canada. After shipping, import fees and currency conversion, the costs almost always end up being more. Germanparts, Germanoem, Rose Land tech are all good options. I find that calling local parts stores in your area also works, just give them the exact part number of the kit you're looking for, and some will be able to get it. I've found most auto parts places that sell euro parts almost always have access to worldpac, or altrom/autocamping. If they can't order the kit as per the kit part number, you could always just order the belt, water pump, and rollers and tensioners separately, just give the specified part numbers you want in terms of brand

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Other then rockauto in the US, there is virtually no point of using any vendor outside of Canada. After shipping, import fees and currency conversion, the costs almost always end up being more. Germanparts, Germanoem, Rose Land tech are all good options. I find that calling local parts stores in your area also works, just give them the exact part number of the kit you're looking for, and some will be able to get it. I've found most auto parts places that sell euro parts almost always have access to worldpac, or altrom/autocamping. If they can't order the kit as per the kit part number, you could always just order the belt, water pump, and rollers and tensioners separately, just give the specified part numbers you want in terms of brand
I’d check eBay.uk my shipping fees are never high , I save lots of money I live in the US, greater sesttle area

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Ups and fed Ed don’t ship to Canada?
I livea few hours drom surry BC, in the USA tho. I know it’s different.

For me to use eBay uk it was an extra hassle but worth it. Some sellers done ship international many do, and the prices are great. Shillong import customs had never been an issue for me but again that is probably different in Canada , and I just don’t understand it.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
Yea of course FedEx and UPS ships to Canada, but again, high shipping costs, and then import fees make importing parts a wash. The only place that is worthwhile is rockauto because their shipping is generally reasonable, all import fees are prepaid, so no surprises when your parts are delivered, and their parts are generally so cheap at times, that it ends up being cheaper with shipping and import fees to buy from them then to buy locally

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
I’ve never had to pay import fees with eBay .uk xman or How does that work ?

I’ve heard cuz I got a ticket for drinking and driving when I was 20 that 18 years later I still can’t go to Canada but I might be able to pay a fee and go. Sort of like that ?

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Imported auto parts are subject to duty and sales tax. The shipping companies charge a fee to collect these charges and remit them to government. It adds up.

There are no fees for people to enter Canada.