Where to mount Scan Guage II

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1.9 TDi DSG (Mk.V) 2008 - RIP
Hi all, got my Scangauge II today! Mounted it below the a/c controls console, so the velcro is stuck to the top of the scangauge if that makes sense. I'll post pictures shortly.

Hopefully I'll find some time to tidy up and hide the cable tonight.

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Following on from my post above, well the original place where I mounted my Scangauge didn't work as the double sided tape on the velcro isn't sticky enough:

Looks ok:

Uh-oh it's come unstuck:

Putting it on the steering column blocks the temp and fuel gauge, annoying for me:

Ended up on the dash to the right of the steering wheel. I can glance at it easily while driving, and also easily hide the wires in this position (in the fuse box). Hope it doesn't affect the a-pillar airbags if they deploy!:

Would like a more stealthy install but this'll work for now until I have more time. It does mean I have to remove and hide the SGII when parked up as car crime is very common over here.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I found that I had to go get some automotie specific double sided sticky velcro and cover the entire top of the scangauge to get it to stick and last any ammount of time - particularly when it got hot out.

You might try locating it on the underside of the gauge "visor" - basically - where it was located above the steering column in your middle picture - move it away from you until you hit the clear plastic of the gauges and then raise it up until it hits the top of the "visor" for the gauges.

That way it won't block your fuel/temp gauges, stays relatively out of sight of criminals and is a quick glance to read just like your other gauges.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
I found that I had to go get some automotie specific double sided sticky velcro and cover the entire top of the scangauge to get it to stick and last any ammount of time - particularly when it got hot out.
Yes, the automotive velcro holds even in the S. FL heat. I tried two other types that didn't hold before finding the automotive, it held for two years. Recently had to move the SG over and couldn't find the automotive this time. Got "industrial" instead and it doesn't hold in the heat.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I don't have a picture of it handy, but I do have a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwk3MNroYYI

As you can see, I like to monitor a few things......

I thought it would be temporary (covering the temp and fuel gauge), but the temp gauge is useless and I really don't need to see the fuel gauge either, when the low fuel light comes on I've got 100 miles to fill up which is enough warning for me.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I don't have a picture of it handy, but I do have a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwk3MNroYYI

As you can see, I like to monitor a few things......

I thought it would be temporary (covering the temp and fuel gauge), but the temp gauge is useless and I really don't need to see the fuel gauge either, when the low fuel light comes on I've got 100 miles to fill up which is enough warning for me.

Ok , you have a boost gauge , pyrometer , what looks like a oil filled fuel pressure gauge that you have connected to boost . What is the low one in the middle ??? Oil temp or water temp or what ?? , I can't see it clearly enough to get a good look .

On my Passat diesel I have a SG II to watch real time water temps and boost above atmospheric pressure . And on my older Jetta TD and my Passat TDI I have a pyrometer , a fuel pressure gauge I use to monitor real time boost and a water temp gauge I use as an oil temp gauge . I get the oil temp off of the turbo oil feed line where it comes off of the oil filter assembly .

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI

You might try locating it on the underside of the gauge "visor" - basically - where it was located above the steering column in your middle picture - move it away from you until you hit the clear plastic of the gauges and then raise it up until it hits the top of the "visor" for the gauges.

That way it won't block your fuel/temp gauges, stays relatively out of sight of criminals and is a quick glance to read just like your other gauges.
I'll have to give that automotive velcro a go. If I place the SGII under the visor like you said might be kinda hard to hide the cable?

adamant628

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
I have mine on the steering column, I fed the wire under the panel under the steering column and with the cable plugged into the back of the SG I don't even need velcro to keep it steady. By the way, it'll work with the plug either in the back or the side, so use which ever works best for your set up.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I'll have to give that automotive velcro a go. If I place the SGII under the visor like you said might be kinda hard to hide the cable?
Yes - the cable is exposed. I ran mine along the right side edge corner of the visor and followed it around to the steering column where it disappears under the dash to then plug into the OBDII port. If you look for it you can find it, but it's a black cable in the corner next to a black visor with a black background so you essentially never see it unless you look for it.

Not for everyone - some like a completely hidden cable - no problem with that.

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I got it plugged into the side socket right now. I'm thinking I'm going to move it away from the A-pillar as I don't want it to interfere if the airbags deploy (hopefully never touch wood). So going to get some better Velcro or double sided tape and put it under the heating controls like before.

zuks90idi

Veteran Member
TDI
07 Dodge, 01 B5.5, 99.5 mk4 ALH, 04 Tourage
Not a great pic but it's under the HVAC controls above the coin holder/ power outlet.

Mike_V

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Great install, Frequent Flyer! Can you provide any more info about how you built that? Would be a great option for people with double-DIN radios, because the ScanGauge is normally too tall to fit in the cupholder space.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Switch on the left is a momentary and turns the brake lights... a "tailgater repulsion system" that works great. :D

Switch on the right decides if the LED gauge next to it ("BAR") reads oil temperature or oil pressure... didn't have room for both gauges. :)

Yellow LED is "glow plugs have power", blue is "rad fan on".

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 TDI
If it weren't for the Scangauge I installed a few weeks ago, I'd have never known the thermostat was 20f cold, and why my mileage was down 3-5mpg since last summer :)

BTW, mine is on the steering column. Seems to be the ideal spot on Mk IVs. The cable tucks in nicely inside and around the column, and I can remove the gauge / cable in seconds to scan a friend's car.

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 6m "The White Knight"
Great install, Frequent Flyer! Can you provide any more info about how you built that? Would be a great option for people with double-DIN radios, because the ScanGauge is normally too tall to fit in the cupholder space.
I took the case apart and soldered momentary-on push button switches into the solder pads on the circuit board. The switches and the screen were mounted to the backside of an OEM cupholder blank. I used a dremel to cut out a rough square shape for the screen, and used mini files to file it into a perfect rectangle. I marked the locations for the buttons and drilled holes that were slightly undersize, and then used a tapered reamer from the backside to get a perfect fit for the buttons.
It took alot of prototypes and trial and error, but it wasnt too hard. Dont worry too much about messing up the SG, because the company that made it, linear logic, loves it when people re-engineer their SG to fit in their cars. They provide free replacement parts and free repair, even if you broke it while messing with it.
Here is a link to my thread on this build:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=293596
Another great spot for the scangauge would be right below the center air conditioning vents. Just relocate the flasher somewhere else, and dremel/file the shape for the SG and mount it there.

Last edited:

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Switch on the left is a momentary and turns the brake lights... a "tailgater repulsion system" that works great. :D
I often wanted to do that since I get that a lot and I hate it. I kept thinking about it but I am not an electrical person. If it is an easy job, can you tell me what you did? Either email me or make a separate post so others can benefit. Thanks.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
I often wanted to do that since I get that a lot and I hate it. I kept thinking about it but I am not an electrical person. If it is an easy job, can you tell me what you did? Either email me or make a separate post so others can benefit. Thanks.
Tried to PM you, so as not to threadjack, but you seem to have that turned off?? Send me a PM and I'll reply!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Bump here-anyone mounted one in a B4 Passat???? I see the obd port is right in line w/ ignition switch-looks like having scangauge plugged in might be a PITA. Has anyone ever moved the obd port on a B4 (97)?

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 6m "The White Knight"
It would take some manipulating, but I think you could detach the OBD port from its normal location and relocate it somewhere hidden, yet easily accessible (above the throttle pedal, for instance). You could then run the cable for the scangauge concealed in the console and install the scangauge where you like it. I think it could work.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
BobNy, Is this what your OBD port looks like?

pic stolen from this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=318805

If so the low profile cable should work great especially since the wire would come off to left because the port is upside down.

Otherwise looks like you might be able to pull the connector towards you, turn in 90 degress then drop it down thru the hole. Then you can connect the scangauge cable and put the panel back on. Who knows, mabye you can even put the panel back on with the cable connected. As far as relocating, I found this website really helpful for OBDII cables here http://www.obd2cables.com/products/...-to-rj45-6ft-compatible-with-scangaugeii.html