Where to get exhaust for B4?

MikeB4

TDI
1997 Passat TDI Sedan, Candy White
Hi,

For those of us who prefer quiet over performance, where is the best place to get a stock exhaust system for a B4 Passat (wagon)? I actually do want to keep the resonator and muffler in the system. I've already replaced the DP & Cat, but due to the noise I think it is time for the rest to get replaced, too.

Oh, wait . . . am I the only one who prefers quiet? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
I thought my hearing was pretty good....I could tell no difference between having the mufflers on or not on my B4V. Perhaps you have an exhaust leak under the car?

MikeB4

TDI
1997 Passat TDI Sedan, Candy White
Probably manifold

Well, I knew I had the leaky flex joint, so I had that replaced. Unfortunately, it is still too loud under the hood -- a very low, throaty sound. I am suspecting a leak in the exhaust manifold or somewhere around the turbo, but I can't see or smell the culprit. Recently, it's begun "hissing" under load like I have a new leak in the pressurized intake system as well, or maybe it is a gasket in the exhaust manifold. I don't know, I sure can't see anything obvious. I was hoping that replacing the 11 year old muffler and resonator would be a good next try, but for $400 maybe not! My exhaust system does bounce around some, even with the new flex joint. What is really weird is that if someone holds the engine at 1500 rpm and I listen around the engine compartment, the loudest sound source actually appears to be the front-right quarter panel. It seems like maybe my engine mounts have solidified, and the vibrations are conducting into the frame. If I had a money tree, I would just have someone else replace everything from the manifold on back, including the turbo. Unfortunately, that would greatly exceed the insured value of the car! I'll put my turbo questions in another post.

Thanks,

sassyrel

Veteran Member
TDI
passat,96,black-metalic
i got the center pipe--right behind the cat--from autozone--good pipe--40 bucks--and was correct!! teh other two pieces--i got form a auto supplier here in iowa i deal with all the time---and they were veryyyyyy reasonable--esp compared to vw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and 2015 GSW MT
Straight pipe from cat back on BOTH my B4's........sedan and wagon.......

No decibel increase to my ears........muffler is waste of time/money-and does little if anything to reduce sound.......IMHO.......

olskool58

TDI
none yet
I am about ready to replace the downpipe due to cracks and was considering the straight pipe exhaust replacement but am also concerned about noise- has anyone run one w/o the catalyst??

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
I say get a magnaflow hi flow cat and then go straight pipe from there. I haven't done so yet, but will eventually.