Where to find wiring diagram for my 1997 Jetta TDI?

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI manual transmission , 2000 VW Jetta GLS TDI manual transmission
Hi all, first post here, since I just got the Jetta a week ago. My first foray into the TDI world.

Anyway, I've been looking all over for a wiring diagram for my car. The previous owner told me that after his son-in-law put an aftermarket stereo in it, the following electrical things stopped working:

Trip meter (resets to zero when the car is shut off)
Clock (resets to zero when the car is shut off)
dome lights
trunk release button (no release)
cigarette lighter

I have checked all the fuses under the driver's side console. All intact. I also pulled out the stereo today, and didn't see any loose wires.

The owners manual says there is another fuse block under the hood above the brake booster, but I can't find it.

If this helps your diagnosis: The electric door locks don't work. My guess is that it was disconnected due to common VW problems. No biggie, I can reach over and lock/unlock by hand. The

If you know where I can find a good wiring diagram for this car, please let me know. If you know the answer to this problem, even better!

Thanks, Sixmenn

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Check your grounds. Especially the ones directly off of the battery. Follow the battery ground wire to the engine/ transmission mount. Make sure it is secure. There are grounds directly under the battery. There is one under the wiper cowl. I believe there is one under the drivers left kick panel. You may take that radio out and see if the problem continue.

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI manual transmission , 2000 VW Jetta GLS TDI manual transmission
Thanks Ed. I'll try that. Any idea where I can find a wiring diagram?

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
1980 Rabbit Pickup (1.6 IDI), 1990 Corrado TDI, 2010 Audi A5
Look in the conversion/swap FAQ.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Wiring diagrams are in the MK3 Bentley. A very good purchase for a new owner, but beware, the diagrams are smaller than they ought to be.

Steve