Where to find parts for lowered Jetta mk4?

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI manual transmission , 2000 VW Jetta GLS TDI manual transmission
I inherited a 2001 Jetta TDI from my nephew last year that was lowered from a seller out in Seattle. It got rear ended a couple of weeks ago, pushing the Jetta into the car ahead as well. I’ve bought a new hood and trunk lid, and during my inspection while on the hoist I see that both front control arm rear bushings are bad, and the front left coil spring is broken.

I’m not sure how to shop for parts to replace these items. From what I read, when someone lowers a Jetta, the springs and control arms also get replaced along with various other parts.

Usually I shop around at the usual VW places people mention here on the forum, and use my VIN to verify correct figment. But with it lowered, I have no idea how to hunt up parts. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks all.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
We have no more information regarding what non OE parts might have been installed on the car than you do. If you can't identify them visually you might be better off reverting to a stock suspension.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Does the broken coil spring have any markings?

You might try googling
MK4 LCA and Audi TT MK1 LCA
And see if either of those look like the LCA currently on the car. The MK4 would be a stamped steel construction, while the TT would be a cast part.

If what's on the car looks like neither, then I'd suggest taking some pics and posting them.

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI manual transmission , 2000 VW Jetta GLS TDI manual transmission
Does the broken coil spring have any markings?

You might try googling
MK4 LCA and Audi TT MK1 LCA
And see if either of those look like the LCA currently on the car. The MK4 would be a stamped steel construction, while the TT would be a cast part.

If what's on the car looks like neither, then I'd suggest taking some pics and posting them.
Rex: thanks for that suggestion. I’ll take a look and if I don’t see anything I’ll post some pics

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
We have no more information regarding what non OE parts might have been installed on the car than you do. If you can't identify them visually you might be better off reverting to a stock suspension.
I’ve thought about reverting to stock. Honestly, it would be my preference to bring the ride back up. I haven’t priced it, but judging from the list of parts that have to be replaced, it seems cost prohibitive at this point for a 24 year old (Michigan) car.

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
I took a closer look at the car and I did find markings on the LCAs. I think they’re VW. I didn’t know VW would have made the parts for lowering the vehicle Pictures are attached.

I hope I can buy just the rubber bushings and not the entire LCA.

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
Also, I’m not sure if this is related to the broken spring or bad LCA bushing, but I also noticed that the sway bar is rubbing on the drive axle. Any ideas what would cause this?

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
I found a part number on the front shock absorbers. They’re Bilstein 35-044086. But that doesn’t help me with which coil spring(s) to buy. Any ideas? Can I simply measure the remaining good one’s height and diameter and hunt it up that way, or is there an easier way to find what I need?

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
You do NOT need to, nor is it commonly done, replace the LCAs when lowering. Those are stock LCAs. Yes, you can replace just the bushings. Look for the TT version for the rear position. Stock is fine for the forward bush.

The rubbing is from lowering the car way too much.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The sway bar will rub the axle if the car is lowered a lot. Longer sway bar links will fix that.

Throw those Bilsteins away. They're B8 Sports, which you can replace with new ones if you want to keep the car lowered. There are lots of other strut and shock options, too, many of them less expensive.

We have stock height springs if you need them. ;)

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
A pair of new Bilstein replacements (same numbers ) is $500. If I wanted to raise the car, -since I can reuse my LCAs- what would I need to replace other than the Bilsteins? Of course, I’d have to replace the rear end components as well to bring it all up.

I guess I’m just wondering about the cost to raise it now while I have to take so much apart anyway. If I spend $500 on lowered Bilsteins now, I’m not likely to spend it again soon to raise it then.

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
You do NOT need to, nor is it commonly done, replace the LCAs when lowering. Those are stock LCAs. Yes, you can replace just the bushings. Look for the TT version for the rear position. Stock is fine for the forward bush.

The rubbing is from lowering the car way too much.
What do you mean by TT version? Is that a certain compound?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
The sway bar will rub the axle if the car is lowered a lot. Longer sway bar links will fix that.

Throw those Bilsteins away. They're B8 Sports, which you can replace with new ones if you want to keep the car lowered. There are lots of other strut and shock options, too, many of them less expensive.

We have stock height springs if you need them. ;)
Are you saying to throw them away because they’re old, or because they’re not suitable for my car?

What options do you offer? What would it take to raise the whole car back up, cost wise, vs just replacing these Bilsteins?

Last edited:

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Those Bilsteins are excellent quality dampers. But they do look pretty rusty, and they are shorter to work with lowering springs. They may well top out with stock height springs.

If you just want to go back to stock ride height (and ride), replace the front struts, mounts, bearings, and springs, as well as the rear springs, shocks, and mounts. Get the Boge/Sachs dampers (OE) and Lesjofords springs. You're looking at around $500-525 or so for all the parts. Assuming you can do it yourself.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I agree. From the look of those Bilsteins they aren't providing any damping any longer. And they may be rusty enough to not support the front springs, which is dangerous. This is what I'd get:

https://www.idparts.com/spring-shock-complete-suspension-set-p-2392.html
[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.idparts.com/suspension-installation-kit-with-mounts-mk4rearsuskit-p-4806.html

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.idparts.com/rear-spring-top-buffer-1j0512149b-26620-p-1614.html
[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.idparts.com/rear-lower-spring-seat-1j0512109-p-1345.html

That will renew just about everything. You may also need strut top plates and nuts:

And you can look at sway bar bushings and links to see if they are worn. You should also inspect the rear axle bushings for wear.

I realize this sounds like a lot, but it appears this car has been abused and neglected when it comes to suspension. Renewing will transform the car, and, more important, make sure it's safe to drive.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW(brother)
Yeah, I agree with all that was said already, just return that car to stock height (at least), as a lowered car is almost useless in Michigan winters.

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
Those Bilsteins are excellent quality dampers. But they do look pretty rusty, and they are shorter to work with lowering springs. They may well top out with stock height springs.

If you just want to go back to stock ride height (and ride), replace the front struts, mounts, bearings, and springs, as well as the rear springs, shocks, and mounts. Get the Boge/Sachs dampers (OE) and Lesjofords springs. You're looking at around $500-525 or so for all the parts. Assuming you can do it yourself.
Replacing these Bilsteins with the same ones is $500+. If it’s the same price to upgrade EVERYTHING to stick ride/height, I’ll definitely go that route.

I can definitely do it myself. I have a hoist in my barn (game changer!).

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I agree with all that was said already, just return that car to stock height (at least), as a lowered car is almost useless in Michigan winters.
Agreed. It’s not great at plowing snow…

Last edited:

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Sorry, but those Moog quick struts are pretty much junk, like the rest. I used them as an interim suspension on my car for about a year, and the bump stops were tearing apart. My son used them afterward for a thousand or two miles, and both bump stops were almost totally gone when we replaced them. The strut bodies were rustier than I'd expect for the miles, but seemed to still function ok. Same with the springs. But I just don't think it's worth the effort to install them.

pedroYUL

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW(brother)
I've never used them, Koni STR also rust like crazy. My go to are Bilstein B4.

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks to all for all the help. Is this everything I would need to bring it up to stock level, or is there some parts I'm still missing?
2@ https://www.idparts.com/rear-lower-spring-seat-1j0512109-p-1345.html
2@ https://www.idparts.com/rear-spring-top-buffer-1j0512149b-26620-p-1614.html
2@ https://www.idparts.com/front-spring-top-perch-a3b4a4-1j0412341-29762-p-1193.html
1@ https://www.idparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=4806{311}11
1@ https://www.idparts.com/suspension-...mounts-mk4rearsuskit-p-4806.html#product_tabs

All told, $653.60. (plus another $41.80 for the front and rear LCA bushings). Thats only $100 more than just replacing the lowered pair of broken front Bilsteins. And I get the ride height and comfort back (unless I'm missing something). Nice!

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
What do you mean by TT version? Is that a certain compound?
A control arm used OEM on the mk1 Audi TT, fwd and AWD. Comes with slightly different ball joints and provides for a bit of camber adjustment.
Lot of folks swap the tt control arms over to Mk4 golf/jetta, especially when lowering the car, but it's the TT Spindles that really help with keeping the geometry "positive" with a lowered car. Also the different TT sway bar with it's mount going to the strut instead of control arm won't rub the axle even when dropped to the ground. The tt subframe also swaps over with it's stiffer bushings.
The TT swap allows your alignment guy to add in a bunch more caster and camber and more overall adjustability, even when stock height or lifted

sixmenn

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone know hard hard it is to get the bushings in and out of the LCAs? Will a vice do the job or will I need a press?