where to buy new timing belt/water pump?

keni

TDI
2002 jetta automatic---2003 beetle automatic
I have lost a water pump so Its a timing belt change for me. What I am asking has anyone bought a kit from tdiparts or any other, and how do they compare to VW. My last kit I bought for my wifes car I got from VW and there was nothing real special about it. Thanks for the help.
Ken

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Welcome ,

Dieselgeek.com is a great site to get your TB kit from , it comes with everything that is required .

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
TB kit

Dieselggek is a good source. Be sure you get deluxe TB kit. You will also need G12 antifreeze.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
They are all good, but no one has ever regretted the purchase of a deluxe TB kit from www.dieselgeek.com -- you pay a few dollars more but Jim's kit includes a better water pump, IMO.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Another one I would trust is Frank Irving...See the cylinder head link in my signature for contact info. He sells top notch parts, just like the others do!

Tony

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I think Dieselgeek's supply of brass Lasso pumps has run out, IIRC Aaron (boraparts) bought up the last of the Lasso pumps available in the U.S.

I'll second the Franko6 recommendation...you'd just have to give him a call. I have one of his TB kits on my car...same parts as everyone else. Litens tensioner, INA rollers, Graf or Hepu water pump, good price. I think at the time his kit was cheaper than anyone else...but you'd have to contact him for current pricing.

Frank's VW TDI's, LLC
1007 Olive St.
Lockwood, MO 65682
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

dalchri

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle
Just want to give a shout out to metalmanparts.com. Great prices for quality parts and I just ordered the G60/VR6 clutch kit. Most of his prices include shipping.

He is back from vacation this week and he even called me to make sure I knew what the deal was with my order.

coronan

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf
Who has reciently purchased a water pump with brass impeller and bearing in the pully. most sources claim a metal impeller but do not specify steel or brass.

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/geba-tdi-water-pump_257179.html
Impex shows brass but i cannot see the pully.

http://metalmanparts.com/product.sc?productId=69&categoryId=55
shows the old style pully and non brass impeller.

http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=595
shows the improved pully bearing.

im thinking about this one
http://my.cardone.com/English/club/members/customer/ecat_brands/imageinfo.asp?PARTNUM=571563

the price at rock auto is on par the the tdi vendors.

why is so hard to get a good pump. does anyone have a better part numbrer or source???

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
It's been 3 years...I bought my A5 timing belt kit from Dieselgeek. The pump did have a brass impeller.

Tony

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
If it matters, you will get a 1 year/12k warranty from the dealer for the parts.

I don't know if the others offer this.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I'm not quite sure what the frustration is.......I've installed kits from all the vendors.

Put them in, and in 100K take them out. I've done this on numerous cars. The metal waterpumps are just fine. So are the newest generation composite impellers that Aaron sell.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
They are all good, but no one has ever regretted the purchase of a deluxe TB kit from www.dieselgeek.com -- you pay a few dollars more but Jim's kit includes a better water pump, IMO.
not only that (water pump) but the rollers seems to be better quality. I have seen them both, Jim's vs. others. I like Jim's.

The way I tell those who ask me for a timing belt kit before I do the labor is to get Dieselgeeks first. If you don't like the price then get metalmanparts. Otherwise pick from someone and make sure all the parts are there.

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 TDI
When I ordered my TB deluxe kit from DieselGeek back in 2009, I got a waterpump that almost looked like cast iron. It was cast rough, with the edges and facing surface machined smooth. Maybe it was cast steel?

The original one I pulled out was brass and I liked the way it looked. But hey, 44K later and no probs. :)

Also, they're still 100K recommended interval, no? Heard rumors somewhere that VW lowered it to 80K...? (tell me I'm smoking crack!)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
not only that (water pump) but the rollers seems to be better quality. I have seen them both, Jim's vs. others. I like Jim's.

The way I tell those who ask me for a timing belt kit before I do the labor is to get Dieselgeeks first. If you don't like the price then get metalmanparts. Otherwise pick from someone and make sure all the parts are there.
The rollers in a Dieselgeek kit are made by INA.

The only roller/idlers I've seen manufactured by some other company were the cause of a catastrophic failure that destroyed my Golf's cylinder head. A water pump failure that occurred one mile from a VW dealership led me to trust them to replace the timing belt along with the water pump, and somehow they managed to install a non-INA roller that failed 25-30 thousand miles later. The bearings froze up without warning and the belt was destroyed in a second or two, it practically melted. (The VW dealership denied all responsibility and claimed they replaced the water pump without touching the roller that failed. Several TDI Club experts report that this roller must come off to access the water pump.)

Anyway, I think all the reputable vendors use INA rollers and Litens tensioners. Any vendor that sells a TB kit with different parts is not reputable.

The timing belts themselves are usually manufactured by Dayco, ContiTech, or Gates.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Also, they're still 100K recommended interval, no? Heard rumors somewhere that VW lowered it to 80K...? (tell me I'm smoking crack!)
Just put the pipe down. The interval for your BEW engined car HAS been changed to 80K miles.

Doesn't matter which reputable vendor I get the kit from. They all send me Litens tensioners, INA rollers, and a quality water pump.

The last kit I got with parts I didn't like was from Blauparts. Just saying.....

Last edited: