Where to buy a VE pump currently...

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
So I've read a lot of good about boraparts (cascade german now).

I see they have a czech new bosch pump for $1200. How would this compare to the Reman they sell that costs more? Also does anyone know if this pump (the new with refurb PN) is the same as the one that you would receive at a dealer as a genuine vw part?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Check the specs on the more expensive reman unit - it might be an 11mm pump. I don't know for sure, but it is something to check.

Sometimes situations come to the surface that allow a great deal to happen from a genuine and reputable source. Not terribly often, but they do come up.

Cheers,

PH

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Check the specs on the more expensive reman unit - it might be an 11mm pump. I don't know for sure, but it is something to check.

Sometimes situations come to the surface that allow a great deal to happen from a genuine and reputable source. Not terribly often, but they do come up.

Cheers,

PH

Definitely both of them are 10mm. I’m just trying to figure out the best choice for a reasonable price. Want something that’s gonna last.

indysoto

Veteran Member
Definitely both of them are 10mm. I’m just trying to figure out the best choice for a reasonable price. Want something that’s gonna last.
Lower mileage junkyard unit/ebay? They last forever. But understandable if you want a new one.

Last edited:

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I ended up just going with the Czech Bosch reman. Since it’s supposed to be new internals in a used case. Had a couple chances to get junkyard pumps but never had the time and it was roasting days in the sun. We may have to try to get one next time tho so we can get it rebuilt as a spare.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The pumps that Volkswagen sells (which are likely the same ones Cascade sells) are genuine Bosch. Bosch moved their VE pump facility to Czech Republic a few years ago, so that is where they are done now.

Some are actually remanufactured, some are totally new. Just depends on how their usable core supply has been.

The reman ones are really just reusing the case, everything else is new. These are easy to tell, as the case will have some metal etching and corrosion evidence in certain spots, and will have past stampings in the casting here and there. They machine down the flat on the case where the part numbers and model info is, and re-etch the new info. A NEW case will be shiny new, and will not have had the flat machined down but etched directly into the new casting.

Of the last six I put on, 5 were 100% new, the very last one I did last week was a remanufactured one.

They both work the same, I would not hesitate to use them.

Keep in mind, you can also have YOUR pump rebuilt, and in most cases it can be done for a little less money, but you will have longer down time.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I got it for 1080 shipped with a Black Friday code. And it’s good to know it’s a quality unit.

Side question for you tho, if it does have metal dust in the pump like DFIS suspects because it’s been loud for so long. Have you seen much to worry about with the injectors getting it in them or should that work itself out usually?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I know you already pulled the trigger but for others, DFIS can turn your pump
around in about a week or so. It will come back looking as good as new for $750.
That's what I paid a few years ago, at least.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Usually is about two weeks for us (including shipping), and they are generally pretty busy but reliable.

The cost varies depending on how much/what is bad. If the pump is really, really tooefed (WVO trashes them unmerciful), and will require a bunch of stuff to fix, DFIS will generally say it is not worth it because a new (reman) one will end up being about the same price.

High mileage leakers that are otherwise running and sounding OK are generally a slam dunk, and about $800.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Being I’ve been making horrible noise for 40k miles I would think it needs more than the average pump. I always knew it was coming but I had hoped it would be one of those that made noise forever and kept going. But not my luck.

The 2-3days without the car it’s going to be is already going to be a stretch since it’s the work car. Just so I can reference it tho on top of the pump and belt services. How many more hours should I be looking at for crank and cam seal along with oil pump chain and tensioner?

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I know you already pulled the trigger but for others, DFIS can turn your pump
around in about a week or so. It will come back looking as good as new for $750.
That's what I paid a few years ago, at least.

I’ve seen quite a few posts a couple years old and it seems everything to do with pumps and even the intank sending unit have skyrocketed.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Just a note for those who may come across this post. Found out after my pump shipped. Rock auto has the same Bosch pump for $925 :(. Guess thats my luck since I always forget they sell Bosch and denso products.