Where the rear main seal and oil pan gasket meet (B4 1Z)

Benjamis

TDI
1996 Passat TDI Wagon 1Z 306k miles
So nowadays it seems all the rear main seals including genuine VW have rubber on the bottom.

Link to picture:

Is this a proper seal that won't leak, the rubber on the bottom of the rear main seal with the rubber oil pan gasket? Seems odd to me. The rear main seal I pulled off was original VW with obsolete part number and did not have rubber on the bottom. It also had a separate horseshoe gasket between it and the block, and weighs twice as much as a new one. The new seals have a rubber gasket built on the back of it, so I bought a horseshoe gasket for nothing.

I have read about using rtv on the corners, is that it? Rubber bottom of rear main seal meets rubber oil pan gasket, dry? Bolt it up, call it good? Thoughts, experiences?

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I recommend removing the oil pan to do the rear main, that way you can get the bolts into the seal housing nice and straight. It strips easily. For what it’s worth, I used RTV at the corners and all over the bottom but it probably just needs it at the corners.

Benjamis

TDI
1996 Passat TDI Wagon 1Z 306k miles
I recommend removing the oil pan to do the rear main, that way you can get the bolts into the seal housing nice and straight. It strips easily. For what it’s worth, I used RTV at the corners and all over the bottom but it probably just needs it at the corners.
Yea I figured I would use rtv all over the bottom too. Still just seems odd to me to have a rubber gasket on a rubber gasket, but I guess it won't be a problem.