Where the buyback cars go

swampyankee

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
I live in Rhode Island, we have a large port where most VW's for the northeast are shipped via boat. There is also a massive lot where the cars are stored before they are shipped via land to their destinations.

The port and storage area is also now being used for the bought back VW's....

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Because I can :) I see what you are doing wrong. You are trying to link from your local hard drive! That is not going to work. Set up an account with photobucket, upload the photos there, and link to them.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
Turned mine in today. Asked the guy what they were going to do with. he said VW hasn't made a final decision but that they (the transport from the dealer) are trucking them to an undisclosed location until VW decides.

rac

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Turned mine in today. The buyback guy said VW intends to fix and re-sell, and he assured me that the fix exists. This is 180 out from what I've read, particularly for a 2009. Then again, the guy is a temp contractor.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I talked to a truck driver that was loading up TDIs and he said that his load is going to Aberdeen Washington and thence to Mexico.

I feel certain that these are going to Aberdeen, and probably going to Mexico. From there, they are supposed to be shredded and I believe it. There would have to be corruption for anything else to happen .

nucklehead

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI W/DSG
These motors could be used in lots of applications. Generators - compressor power - tractors - marine use. The cars might be refurbished and sent to China or elsewhere that doesn't give a spit about emissions like we do here.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
These motors could be used in lots of applications. Generators - compressor power - tractors - marine use. The cars might be refurbished and sent to China or elsewhere that doesn't give a spit about emissions like we do here.
Nope. Read the consent decree. The only way VW can export the cars other than as scrap, is if they do the "fix", and there currently is no fix available.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I talked to a truck driver that was loading up TDIs and he said that his load is going to Aberdeen Washington and thence to Mexico.

I feel certain that these are going to Aberdeen, and probably going to Mexico. From there, they are supposed to be shredded and I believe it. There would have to be corruption for anything else to happen .
Aberdeen WA appears to have a large automotive storage lot (for cars in the process of being shipped) plus a dock plus rail access. You can see clearly what it is on Google Maps. The cars (at the time of the Google Maps satellite photo) are parked in nice neat rows in a paved lot ... you don't do that if they are destined for scrap (yet).

Probably they are doing the same thing as on the east coast - shipping them to a port of entry, where they have a large storage lot, until VW figures out what to do with them, which may take some time.

There has got to be enough space in the Aberdeen lot for 10,000 cars.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Would "scrap" include "parting out"? If that truck driver I mentioned was right and they go to Mexico, couldn't they be stripped of some of the popular crash repair parts (ie: front end and rear end parts) then crushed? Would it be worth the effort for VW to do this? Maybe not, but maybe yes for a worker someplace between the port and the shredder.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
This all reminds me of the story of the "Rainbow Bridge" where recently deceased pet owners are re-united with their beloved pets that have passed before them.

Maybe when we die and go to heaven, our TDi cars will be sitting in the garage, even the stripped ones, waiting for us, good as new. :)

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Would "scrap" include "parting out"? If that truck driver I mentioned was right and they go to Mexico, couldn't they be stripped of some of the popular crash repair parts (ie: front end and rear end parts) then crushed? Would it be worth the effort for VW to do this? Maybe not, but maybe yes for a worker someplace between the port and the shredder.
To some extent, but the huge number of them is sure to overwhelm the foreseeable demand for spare parts from the remaining fleet (mostly gas engine models). It's probably worth salvaging some of them for spare parts, but there is a balancing act involved.

swampyankee

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
davisville rhode island. I took a picture at night. Will go back and check, but there were some A3's, jetties, jsw's, and a passat that I could see.

On the truck they were golfs and jsw's. Given there will be thousands I imagine there will be regional locations. Going to cost a lot of $$ to store, for sure.

Mine is going on January 24. Might drive it a bit between now and then, but it's been sitting for 5 months now.

Sending in the ECU on my new ride for some reprogramming :) so I will reunite with the Passat one last time.

Metzo

TDI
2015 Jetta
dunno, I have a hard time buying that they are just "scrapping" them. I questioned the local vw horsetrader about,
"well what will you do with the diesel we love?"

and got the well, we don't know

but you know this horsetrader just wanted to hustle into another sale....

swampyankee

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
dunno, I have a hard time buying that they are just "scrapping" them. I questioned the local vw horsetrader about,
"well what will you do with the diesel we love?"

and got the well, we don't know

but you know this horsetrader just wanted to hustle into another sale....
if they can be fixed and sold that is what VW will do. which explains why they wouldn't take the car the was stripped of the doors and panels.

ChimneyJim

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 SportWagen SEL
This all reminds me of the story of the "Rainbow Bridge" where recently deceased pet owners are re-united with their beloved pets that have passed before them.
Maybe when we die and go to heaven, our TDi cars will be sitting in the garage, even the stripped ones, waiting for us, good as new. :)
LOL. Hopefully my 81 Z28 will be there instead.

Ram4Sam

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
If you turned in So Cal, here they are......Storage lot on an old air force base. I saw a transporter head down a side road near my work, followed it here. As I was taking the picture, Barney Fife showed up and told me to move on.....:eek:

Sam

Lochenjons

TDI
2013 VW Jetta
Rainbow bridge... hah! Man I don't know why I'm so attached to my TDI! It's nothing fancy, it's got the fender system and a sunroof and I haven't even had it for a whole year. But there's just something about a diesel......

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
If you turned in So Cal, here they are......Storage lot on an old air force base. I saw a transporter head down a side road near my work, followed it here. As I was taking the picture, Barney Fife showed up and told me to move on.....:eek:

Sam

I'm happy it's almost over for me, but damn is that a sad pic. Not that cars are living beings, but it's almost like they've been ripped from their families. Lots of good memories made in those cars.

sdlucky7

TDI
2012 Golf TDI

Sam
Hey! I think my (ex) car is probably in there. Was picked up from the dealer on the 28th (Santa Barbara).

Sad picture though... Hopefully some of these beasts can be rehabilitated and released back in to the wild.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Saw this driving with KY and OH TDI's going up North on I71 just north of Cincinnati, OH today. They all had Red Circle and Red X on the front windshield.