Where or how to get a wheel bearing fixed - 2004

GorillaBiscuits13

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS - Auto
It sounds like I'm due for a wheel bearing replacement. You can hear it most of the time, and feel it in the steering wheel. Turning left the noise stays while turning right the noise goes away.
From what I've read on here that method isn't the best way to determine which has failed. So can I just go to a local shop and tell them I need a wheel bearing replaced (they'll diagnose it I'm guessing), or should I find a VW garage that knows what to expect. I'm renting and don't have much time off to go home over the next month, not to mention a lack of tools for the job.
The car is at ~245k now, should I expect the other bearings to start failing.

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
I just did both sides with about the same mileage. Only one side made noise. Luckily my buddy in steamboat has the hub tamer. It's a kit with all the different heavy duty pucks. Definitely power tool necessary unless you have all day. Not cheap to pay someone else to do it! How long has the noise been going on? I've heard you can still safely drive it if you can stand the noise. Although feeling it in the steering wheel sounds like it should be fixed soon.

Search for the how to for this on the site. It will answer all your questions.

Somebody probably rents the tools . . .

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
In my experience, yes...but not necessarily in rapid succession or anything like that. My 03 Golf is at 223k miles, and I've had to replace one front and both rear bearings in the past two years. I had a 2009 MK4 City Golf...and all four wheel bearings failed one after another all between 50-60k miles. Every time I replaced one, I could hear another one starting to go...lol. VW really cheaped out on those cars, so it wasn't really a surprise.

Any decent garage should be able to handle a wheel bearing change with their eyes closed, but I still prefer a dedicated VW shop whenever possible. JMTCW.

gatz

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Golf TDI PD, 2006 MkV Golf GTI
I did it myself a few years ago and let me just say this ones worth paying a shop. Was a real nightmare and I had to cut the bearing races to get them out. If you take it to a shop they will have a much easier time with the proper tools.. hub tamer / equivalent or they will remove the knuckle and put it in a huge shop press.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
This past Winter I had a shop, whose owner I once knew from the local YMCA, change the left front wheel bearing; and I could tell from a distance that they did not follow the proper VW procedure. The axle nut was reused and reinstalled with an impact wrench. Recently I am hearing a whining noise that sounds like it's from the front. Hope it's not the same bearing going bad.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
This past Winter I had a shop, whose owner I once knew from the local YMCA, change the left front wheel bearing; and I could tell from a distance that they did not follow the proper VW procedure. The axle nut was reused and reinstalled with an impact wrench. Recently I am hearing a whining noise that sounds like it's from the front. Hope it's not the same bearing going bad.
Many of us would re-use this nut without issue, ive had mine off 3/4 times, and an impact is good to use to vibrate everything tight ok these cars

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
It sounds like I'm due for a wheel bearing replacement. You can hear it most of the time, and feel it in the steering wheel. Turning left the noise stays while turning right the noise goes away.
From what I've read on here that method isn't the best way to determine which has failed. So can I just go to a local shop and tell them I need a wheel bearing replaced (they'll diagnose it I'm guessing), or should I find a VW garage that knows what to expect. I'm renting and don't have much time off to go home over the next month, not to mention a lack of tools for the job.
It is far easier and cheaper (then a shop would charge) and requires few tools to buy the front knuckle assemblies for both driver and passenger side with new bearings already installed and swap them out with your existing knuckles then it is to pull and replace the bearings. You will need a wheel alignment afterwards and yes do both at the same time.

GorillaBiscuits13

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS - Auto
Thanks for all the replies!
I'm guessing I'll go the shop route. I can't imagine getting back home until thanksgiving time frame.
Although the knuckle replacement was something I wondered about, I didn't think you'd just be able to order them up at a local parts store. It sounds more manageable for sure.
I don't get a lot of time off, so taking it to the shop for this I'm ok with. The how-to is excellent, but I can see a lot of things going wrong, and having no car for a while longer.
I'm going to look into the knuckle replacement first. It looks like F&P auto is 1.5 hours away too if I need to go that route. Sounds like he's always pretty busy though.

Thanks again

neoborn

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI Golf
I can tell you where NOT to get it done, the stealership, FFS. I went in the other day for a brake fluid flush and fill ($100 + cost of fluid) sigh, and found that through driving with excessive hardware issues, both front bearings are gone (my fault for driving it for so long with other issues like really bad / bald tires and tie rod ends gone, LCA issues etc.

The quote from the mech 4 hrs and parts lol = $150 Part per bearing and 4 x hours labour ($99.00) I did a rough calc = about $700 sigh lol. I am happy for them to do the work but if they could take me out for a dinner / coffee first and offer a high grade lube (for me not the car :p) while they thoroughly f*(*& me!

gatz

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Golf TDI PD, 2006 MkV Golf GTI
Four hours shop labor? What? That's about how long it took me to do at a leisurely pace doing it the first time ever as a DIY. Should be more like 1 hour. Also the bearings are about $45-55 bucks for the FAG (OE) brand bearing.

neoborn

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI Golf
Four hours shop labor? What? That's about how long it took me to do at a leisurely pace doing it the first time ever as a DIY. Should be more like 1 hour. Also the bearings are about $45-55 bucks for the FAG (OE) brand bearing.
I know right! 2 hours a piece from a trained mechanic. I always feel violated when I come from VW, whether it be parts, labour or anything in between :(
Such a ripoff, its like VW shops are only for the rich people :(

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
I did a front one last year....or i tried to do a front one last year...

Found a shop that would install the parts. Paid 55$ i think for the wheel bearing kit (FAG brand), and the shop charged 220$ to install. Little over 2 hrs.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Can someone tell me the exact sizes of the tubes (not sure what they are called) that are needed so I can have my local welding shop make me a tool, that would be great!

Like the ones from this kit (https://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-86...1476078488&sr=1-1&keywords=bearing+puller+kit)

I used this kit from Harbor Freight. They always have 20% coupons available. I don't know the size, but if you can wait a week or 2, I have to do a wheel bearing on my Jetta.
http://www.harborfreight.com/fwd-front-wheel-bearing-adapters-66829.html

I used this Milwaukee 475lb torque driver and it took 2 or 3 charge discharge cycles to get the bearing out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AKKJBS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

GorillaBiscuits13

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS - Auto
I finally got to fixing my wheel bearing. I decided to go the loaded knuckle route, since I didn't know how long I'd have, and pretty sure there isn't a shop around to press out/in bearings.
After finding that the tie rod would loosen, I cut it off and replaced. Trying to remove it took far longer than was worth it, and after hopping on here to see what people did, I should've cut it off immediately. Got the new one on no problem.
Same issue with the brake disk screw. Had to drill it out.
ABS wheel speed sensor is another thing. it's unlikely you'll be able to remove it in a reusable fashion, so had to order one of those.
Finally got everything back together, granted some of the down time was holiday/family related.
First test drive.... no more bearing sound!
And then.. click click click
It is normal for the cv shaft to start making that noise after a bearing replacement?
I've found a few cases where this was the case for others, and the boot was torn for who knows how long.

Last edited:

GorillaBiscuits13

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS - Auto
You could save yourself some money by pulling the knuckles and having a shop press the bearings for you.
Providing there is a shop only open on weekends and holidays when I am home to have access to my garage and tools. This is also my primary means of transportation. There's no doubt having a shop press them out would have been cheaper, just not one nearby that I know of that's open when I'm back home.

Skydvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MkIV
I did this back in July and replaced the entire hub with the bearing. Much less expensive than replacing the entire knuckle. The bearing press kits have what is necessary to press the race out of the bearing.
I was able to borrow a portable air compressor, but ended up using a long breaker bar and wrenches wedged against the floor as the small tank size proved to be too frustrating. I can't wait to move and have proper shop space again.