Where is this oil coming from?

paoutdoorsman

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta TDI
I changed my oil yesterday and was looking around under the car. The rear of my engine and the belly pan have typically been clean and dry. This time I have some oil on the belly pan and it's getting messy behind the motor. It's hard to see it but it looks like this oil is originating from up around the turbo and dripping down accross the other parts. Is there something that starts to leak after a while that can be re-sealed to stop the mess?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Breather vapor leak, very common (most BRMs look like that).

That's why the heater hoses blow, they swell up with the oil over time.

I have had good luck cleaning up the inlet tube's green o-ring and placing a small bead of gray sealant against the ring, and reinstalling the tube assembly on to a cleaned turbo inlet.

Some of these are worse than others, probably due to driving habits and conditions.

pinaster

TDI
caddy life DSG 1.9 PD
my vw caddy BLS engine has the same leak.
Check for loose bolts on valve cover.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I have the same leak. Tried to replace VC gasket which was successful but not at stopping the leak. Replaced the O ring OilHammer is referring to which is 3C0-129-646 also to no avail. Didnt think about using sealant which is a good idea and i will prob go in that direction but the problem i have is oil consumption as well. My BRM is drinking about a liter per 2000 miles and at this point im almost positive its the turbo leaking/ consuming it. So until i get a new PD140 turbo ordered from Peter im gona keep him in business through oil sales. I buy a new oil filter and 10 liters per oil change.
My oil leak thread...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=428371

Last edited: