where is the vag-com turn off thread for airbags?

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
i swear i saw a link/info to use vag-com to turn off airbags, and the light. i cannt find it using search, and looked in the how-to sticky in tdi101. a little help pls. for mk3.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
looked back in how-to thread, found it!, gonna have to try to both disable airbags &turn warning light out. and perhaps find some resistors. any further advice on this?

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
I just removed the bulb from the light in the dash of my B4.

I removed my passenger airbag so I could put a B3 glovebox in. I tried resistors for the airbag wiring and the light wouldn't go away so I just pulled the bulb.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I don't think it can be deleted, through VCDS.

The first time I did it, I cut the bulb out. The second time, I bought a resistor assortment. If it gets really cold out, I'll get a AB CEL... kinda a pita.

-Todd

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
in the thread responses theres mixed results, some get vag-com to work, although they may get some light/flashing, some have trouble, some get the resistors to work, again some have problems here as well. had found perhaps the wire to the light color code, may snip it, hopefully thats the wire, dont need something else on console to go dead.
gonna try vag-com first.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
not sure if i got it to work, for one, channel 2 the drivers side bag reads an error in the controller. i cannt disable it.
and as i cannt disable (drivers side) i cannt unplug it, otherwise light comes right back on, high resistance.
how can i get controller to read it? as the light still can come on it may still work, and i cannt access it. pass side channel 1 i did good on.
cleared codes and air bag codes. btw.
one thing i found to make dash light turn off i had to close controller.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
so im (kind of) one of the lucky ones, except i only got the pass side bag disabled. my light blinks and after a bit (for now) it seems to have turned off. i cannt get the drivers side to read in the controller/VDCS screen. it in the 4 windows it says. error-channel02-not-available. in fact this entire post is present in 2 cars, still want a response from channel2, drivers side that is. would like to both have dash light go out, & have both air bags in disable mode. if, on the other hand, i unplug the drivers air bag @connector there in steering wheel/column light comes on, meaning if i disable bag by unplugging i ll need to try to find resistors that i can get to work, or otherwise, such as snipping bulb in dash.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
re-posting on this topic.

so the other day i got a link to a web-site. this one has various electronics, for this topic business has various resistors. you can choose from types. web-site is digi-key. so i ordered several resistors, at the time hoping the info in the sticky in 101 would help out. as it turns out, i hooked up a resistor, then put 2 in series, i still have an air-bag light. think its an automatic inspection rejection. the resistors i ordered are. 1/2watt, 2.2ohm. and such resistors. they, one or two didnt knock AB light out. so i went back and ordered a few more resistors. again this is for steering AB. so i ordered resistors.: 1watt, 2.2ohm. <etc. 1/2watt, 2.4ohm. 1watt, 2.4ohm. when it/they get here i can see if any/combo turns light out, *sigh, hav to wait a few days for shipping. any other suggestions as to resistors to get. as the last post on the AB-sticky-101, stated he had about 2.9 ohms at pin,connection, he crossed. was thinking of aprox resistor(s) to get. 1watt, 2.7ohm, & 1watt, 2.9ohm. any others?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
You know, you could connect the connectors to the actual airbags - they probably have the correct resistance.

You have an airbag phobia? Concerned a tinfoil hat might get knocked off?

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
for one i think sometime ago someone had mentioned these are ralph nadar air-bags, and well may cause serious problems(if deployed) such as hospitalization, disfigurement, or even death. thats one main point, so on the cars i now have running i switched ABs off. however on this car and perhaps another i may be able to get road worthy in the future, the air-bag itself is reading bad, and even with AB switched off, AB dash light will not go off. so my best solution is to jump connector with a resistor, or combo, to make dash light read positive current to connector, (and AB). kind of would like this jumper method to work, and not have to search and spend-$ on a new air-bag.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
So, because you "think" someone mentioned these are Ralph Nader [sic] airbags...

What the hell does that even mean?

Can you even provide a source or are you going by some fuzzy memory?

You are going by some half remembered thing you read on the internet vs hundreds and thousands of hours put in by German engineers?

You are concerned your tinfoil hat is going to get knocked off...

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
for what its worth, i think hes right that the B4 got the gen 1 airbags that were later deemed to inflate with too much force and the law was revised to give automakers more freedom in the design of the SRS.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/the-hidden-dangers-of-older-airbags.html/?a=viewall see paragraph 8

That isnt why i removed mine and i wouldnt remove the steering wheel bag because of it... Ive been smacked in the face with more than one old style airbag, unfortunately... Its not a fun time but unless you are not physically able to take the hit, its definitely not worth replacing it.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
i dont know what i deserved that windex would give such a snide reply. its a fairly straight forward topic, question. my memory isnt fuzzy, thank you windex, its fine. its not the first time i ve heard these air-bags can cause problems(possibly serious). they are now relatively quite old, so not much else as far as a major conversation topic. like i said, i ve shut off air-bags in VCDS, however this air-bag simply doesnt register as working,resistance ok, and AB light is on. it quite a few years ago had a front end accident, i totally forget if drivers air-bag deployed, it may have. in any case this, drivers side A-B light is on. i need to trip connection, w/resistor to give a passable volt value, and AB light should go off. was thinking as i posted above, i waiting on my current resistor order to come. perhaps resistors:2.7ohm, & 2.9ohm. probably get both 1/2watt and 1watt. try to get flame-proof, if not i get flame-retardant or -coated.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
hit a stop in this, so i got all the resistors i had ordered, tried different ones, and a few combos, no luck. so i got the bright idea, why dont i try another air-bag-pack from the car that it works in. so i end up switching air-bags. as it turns out both air-bag(packs)work. in the one car the light turns off, for either air-bag pack when installed. huuh, idk, could be the passengers side air bag causing the problem. other than that the shop manual covers mainly some basic steps, removal and correct,safe reinstallation of AB-packs. kind of stuck. either i can take to a shop and for no real good reason, if only to get the dash light to turn off so it ll inspect. or i think i somewhere found a possible color code for what might be the wire for the AB dash light, if its the right wire i can cut that(fingers crossed, its not the wrong wire), or i can take out the dash, and manually cut the AB light connection.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
(facepalm:hand to the face), so after all this, and yesterday i took apart the passengers side dash, put it back together. so today i cleared the codes, mostly the AB light stays off, when it did come on i slapped the AB cover, on either side, and light turns off. soo old school. oh well if it works why knock it, or complain. so today im gonna disconnect the batt neg-, and take apart the connections, again. i had used that crc electronic spray at the connections, try that again, re-assemble and see if light stays off. then later this afternoon take to inspect. (fingers crossed). its just that i had lost my other laptop, had just gotten a new one, nice (fairly)powerful, loaded up VCDS for this one. as it was i didnt have a way to clear codes there for a bit, or any other vag-com work for that matter, back in business!. hopefully she ll inspect, no more real issues. (at least like that).