Where is the backup camera module location on a 2014 Passat?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The "module"?

The camera is integral with the trunk lid push button. The radio is what displays the view.

Not sure what you are asking here.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Yeah, I'm not sure (can't even recall in my 2015) how VCDS reports the camera, but if the module can talk and VCDS is telling you something about the camera, then it is right there as oilhammer said.

Now, many times there are ghost codes stored at random, depending on the history of the car. My wife's GSW complains about the driver's heated seat, which that car doesn't have. But then again, I did upgrade the MIB1 to MIB2 and component protection is active in both the infotaintment and the Gateway, just bypassed somehow that doesn't impede functionality (don't ask me how, I paid someone).

My Passat also has complained about stuff is not even installed, even before I also upgraded the infotaintment.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
only a switched power supply connection and coding of the radio is needed for the back up camera to function.

May the wiring is identifying as a module in the canbus error code you maybe seeing?

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
only a switched power supply connection and coding of the radio is needed for the back up camera to function.

May the wiring is identifying as a module in the canbus error code you maybe seeing?
Can confirm this as I added a backup camera to my Ma's Tiguan. We tapped to the reverse 12v for the camera and plug into the radio.

1975 Kombi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2011 Touareg TDI, 1992 D Jetta, 1992 TD Jetta, 2001 NB TDI, 1992 Golf coupe D
Yep in the title. Looking for the backup camera module. 6C module. Where in the Passat is it located. I need to check it for corrosion or some type of failure. I have checked both side of the trunk behind the foam walls. It's not there. I tried logging onto the module with VCDS and it reports "communication error" So I'm assuming the module is not functioning properly. The radio display does not switch to display the camera info, just stays with what is on the display. The mirrors do angle down when the trans shifter is moving to reverse but the camera is not activated. .

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can confirm this as I added a backup camera to my Ma's Tiguan. We tapped to the reverse 12v for the camera and plug into the radio.
Same here for the retrofit i did on our 2012 SE with Nav.

Was the reason I picked up VCDS back in 2013.

fung

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I just posted basically the same question. I am getting the same "communication error" message when I check the VCDS. If I understand Mr Compu_85 (and others) I should be looking only at the camera and its connection(s) for proper voltage and secure connections, and if everything is secure I should then consider replacing the camera/grab handle assembly on my 2012 Passat TDI. Is any of this correct?

drew_t

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I just posted basically the same question. I am getting the same "communication error" message when I check the VCDS. If I understand Mr Compu_85 (and others) I should be looking only at the camera and its connection(s) for proper voltage and secure connections, and if everything is secure I should then consider replacing the camera/grab handle assembly on my 2012 Passat TDI. Is any of this correct?
Just to be clear, is this a car that definitely has a backup camera (not all of them did) which has previously worked, and it has stopped working? Or have you recently acquired the car and you’re trying to figure out why the screen never comes on when you go into reverse?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does your 2012 have Nav?

Even the lowly RNS 315 or what not had rear camera input, no other external module needed.