Where I mounted my ScanGauge

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 6m "The White Knight"
I mounted it in the old cupholder blank. It took alot of soldering, and about 5 Prototypes. Luckily, Linear Logic is a great company. They like it when people try to fit custom housings on their scan gauges. They repaired mine for free quite a few times!

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Outstanding bro. I really want to do that on mine, but just don't feel comfortable cutting into the Monsoon double din to make room LOL. That looks really good. What a great spot for a SGII!!!

cowboytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI, Silver, 5 Speed

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
Nice. That's almost exactly how mine is, except mine is in the full size DIN spot below the cup holder blank. I also put some shims behind the buttons so that they stick out a few more millimeters, which makes them a lot easier to push.

I only had to get two repair/replacements from Linear Logic. Both 100% FREE!

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah. Putting the scan gauge there would be a whole lot easier. But; I use that little cubby space as a wallet and cell phone holder, and I didnt want to loose that functionality.

I used standard micro-pushbutons instead of the included buttons; hence the soldering. I relocated the Home button to be on the left, so to be closer to the driver.

Last edited:

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Nice work dude, but damn. 5 prototypes? How the heck do you have time for that.

And free repairs from the manufacturer? That's kind of awesome. If they are that geeked about sleeker installations that they waste time repairing your stuff, you think they would try to downsize the massive box that is a scan gauge in the first place, haha.

In comparison this took me about 10 minutes, but kind of looks out of place. I almost dremel'd the upper dashboard... but that seemed kind of crazy. :

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah. If the screen was a little smaller hight-wise, The install would be a lot easier in its location. Maybe we could convince the manufacturer to make a special VW specific one to fit in that spot. For an OEM this would be no problem.

A lot of the prototypes were the same hardware, but with different configurations:
1.) Original board and screen. 22 gauge wire. Board shorted out, and the screen was crushed.
2.) New screens new board from the manufacturer. Screen crushed.
3.) New screen. Used the wire from a telephone chord (the smallest diameter stranded wire, I think, in existence) Switch pad lifted off the board. Sent to the manufacturer for repair.
4.) An engineer at the company did a great job soldering the wires to alternate locations on the board. Ribbon cable on the screen sliced halfway through.
5.) New screen installed, but ribbon cable was burned while soldering.
6.) New screen. Current configuration and works fine.

Another spot that would require no soldering, only dremel skills would be below the center air-con vents. A bubba on the vortex did it and it looked great. It would be easier to to it there and relocate the emergency flasher to the glovebox or ashtray if needed.

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
How I created this is as follows:
I took the case apart and soldered momentary-on push button switches into the solder pads on the circuit board. The switches and the screen were mounted to the backside of an OEM cupholder blank. I used a dremel to cut out a rough square shape for the screen, and used mini files to file it into a perfect rectangle. I marked the locations for the buttons and drilled holes that were slightly undersize, and then used a tapered reamer from the backside to get a perfect fit for the buttons.
It took alot of prototypes and trial and error, but it wasnt too hard. Dont worry too much about messing up the SG, because the company that made it, linear logic, loves it when people re-engineer their SG to fit in their cars. They provide free replacement parts and free repair, even if you broke it while messing with it. In fact, when I sent the prototype back about the 4th time for repair with a little note explaining what i was trying to do, and a technician there re-soldered my fine gauge wire to a stronger location on the board; it really helped me out.

Another great spot for the scangauge would be right below the center air conditioning vents. Just relocate the flasher somewhere else, and dremel/file the shape for the SG and mount it there.