Where does everyone buy their engine/tranny oil and various filters?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I have used the dealer parts desk

idparts has a package with a couple options for fluid,

as do a couple others.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
ID Parts. Usually just get their kits for the particular service I am doing. Normal oil change, 20k service, 40k service, etc.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I'll be coming up on the 40K in the Spring, and plan on DIYing it. The dealer has done the maintenance thus far, but from here on we're on our own. I've gotten a lot of good info from this forum, and I'll support a vendor who supports the forum- so it'll be the idParts kit for our Passat. I know I'll be getting all the correct supplies, and they even let you choose from several different brands of oil.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
I get liqui moly 4200 oil (a 507 oil), various Mann filters from EuropaParts in NJ here.
They carry a lot of items for Vw/Audi. They have a great website and their prices are very good. I usually go there to pick the items up.

I have had good luck getting the vw original oil filters from eBay

I actually purchased a DSG kit from a member either here or vwvortex for $125
All genuine vw parts.

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
Roseland Techincal....because I'm in Canada.....But before our dollar **** the bed, I had been using IDParts.....now with conversion and shipping, its just too damn much

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
IDPARTS everytime. I try to support members not dealer/ criminal operations.
Care to elaborate a bit more on this one? I've bought mine from KermaTDI before since there's no longer a VW dealer within 50 miles and I was already buying 100k service stuff from them... Yay. The VW dealer is now the Kia/Mazda dealer in Tuscaloosa. :(

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Idparts is ownered and operated by a forum member. So i try to support other members especially when they take care of their customers.
Idparts.com

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have bought a lot from IDParts. Their shipping charge has always been $4.95 for me. 57 lbs of suspension parts $4.95 shipping. Got to love it. I used to buy fluids locally due to shipping costs. Not any more. The Mobile oil deal with Pep Boys discount and Mobil rebate and free shipping ended that for a while.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Idparts because they support this forum. The link below groups the companies that support this forum, in addition to idparts if you want to shop around and still support this place.

newyorktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I go with ECSTuning for my 2010 Golf TDI:

$89.34 shipped to 11365 on IDParts
$72.52 shipped to 11365 on ECSTuning

OEM Oil filter
Castrol LL03
OEM Drain plug

Not sure if other filters/oils are cheaper on ECSTuning as well but $17 in savings can buy pretty much half a tank of diesel fuel for my car.

Last edited:

TDIBill

Veteran Member
TDI
97Passat, 96 Passat Variant
Bora Parts, Aaron has always gone the extra mile for me. May not be the absolute lowest but prices are reasonable Quality & service are top notch…

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I use IDParts for stuff I need in the next day or two, but I've been ordering a lot of stuff from BoraParts since Aaron can get anything, has a lot less Chinese stuff, and really good pricing on OEM items. He has a lot of tough competition but has really made a name for himself as the can-get-anything guy. His timing belt kits are the most complete I've seen and are all top shelf parts, often right from the dealer.

For dealer-specific items I go through one of the online discount delerships like Quirk Parts, VW Parts Dept, or VW Parts Vortex. Jim Ellis VW Parts has a nice parts site to view and good prices but their shipping is very high.

impulse922

TDI
a3
I've used Europa parts in the past, but their shipping is pretty brutal when you start adding fluids to cart. I like how they have so many oil/DSG choices, but will be going with IDparts from here on out for the 4.95 shipping.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
im a frugal sob and I always buy from IDparts, shipped fast and high quality filters every time. Amazon you never know, could be some dude who refilled empty 507 bottles with chainsaw bar oil and sold them for $5 a quart

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I use IDParts for stuff I need in the next day or two, but I've been ordering a lot of stuff from BoraParts since Aaron can get anything, has a lot less Chinese stuff, and really good pricing on OEM items. He has a lot of tough competition but has really made a name for himself as the can-get-anything guy. His timing belt kits are the most complete I've seen and are all top shelf parts, often right from the dealer.
Another vote for Aaron.

I had a bad radiator in my 2005.5 Jetta and I had scrapped the radiator before ordering one. Since there appeared to be three different part numbers for that radiator, Aaron helped me figure out which one was correct for the car through a series of photos sent back and forth to him. Great guy and I will continue to order parts and fluids from him.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
For the oil filter, I buy the OEM VW at the dealer. Personally, I like the zig-zag pleats better than the straight pleats all other filters come with. The zig-zag pleats increase the filtering surface, which, in my humble opinion, makes for a better filter. Price-wise, they are $ 8.84 for my 2010 Jetta (dealer retail), which is on par with, or only slightly more than what you would pay for a top-quality oil filter at on-line discount part store ($ 6.78 for MANN at Rock Auto). The OEM filter is made in France, which makes me even more warm and fuzzy. The MANN oil filters are made in Germany, but have straight pleats. For fuel, air and cabin filters, I used to buy MANN brand at Rock Auto. MANN is an OEM VW supplier for these three filters, so you get the exact same filter as you would at the dealer, only much less expensive. For instance, fuel filter is $20.78 at Rock Auto, but $ 27.54 at the dealer for exactly the same part. As far as engine oil goes, I used to buy the Castrol OEM oil at the dealer until earlier this year, when Castrol ceased production in Austria and started making the oil in the US. At that point, I bought a 5-liter jug of Liqui Moly on-line. The cost of the oil from the dealer was about the same or even lower than buying the oil on-line, plus my VW dealer is only 4 miles away, so I stuck with them.

However, that was in the past. Now we all have the $500 debit card coming, and, since I don't need any parts for my Jetta right now, I decided to buy a bunch of consumable items, such as engine oil, cabin, air and fuel filters along with a few cases of the Castrol oil, even if it is at those inflated prices (what else can one do with the card, right?). To get the most for my money, I already located an on-line dealer, which offers very nice discounts - www.keffervw.com.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I would get my order into IDParts but the shipping to home here in the Midwest was extremely high priced.
Currently Economy Shipping for anything on our site, regardless of weight or value, is $4.95 in the contiguous US. We also have Economy shipping options for Canada.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Idparts gives a $50 gift if your place your $500 card in Idparts.com store credit. Meaning you get $550 with Idparts.com