Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Outghta be able to:

- drive yer VW to any dealer, VW or not
- select any car you want
- show them the print-out from the VW registration website/proof of ownership
- sign some legalese, transferring the future payment toward the car you want
- pay the rest, after most generous discounts etc :)
- they take the old car and mothball it on their lot
- drive away in the new car

Very, very unamerican it seems. WzeF is going on, there are/will be at least 2-300,000 ppl looking to get new cars and no-one is doing squat ?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Outghta be able to:

- drive yer VW to any dealer, VW or not
- select any car you want
- show them the print-out from the VW registration website/proof of ownership
- sign some legalese, transferring the future payment toward the car you want
- pay the rest, after most generous discounts etc :)
- they take the old car and mothball it on their lot
- drive away in the new car

Very, very unamerican it seems. WzeF is going on, there are/will be at least 2-300,000 ppl looking to get new cars and no-one is doing squat ?
Point well taken.

Sure why not?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Eh - NO !!

From VW's perspective, they would have zero control of what that other autodealer would do about screwing the (soon to be former ) VW owner out of their money. They are not required to make it easy for you to get a replacement vehicle. Have somebody wait for you in their vehicle, or be ready to call a Taxi / uber / whatever to get you to another vehicle dealer.

It's going to be done at the VW dealers and suck it up.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Why are you waiting? It appears from news reports that auto sales have peaked. This means more incentives from every manufacturer and dealer. Go buy that car of your dreams now and get a great deal. Cash in with VW in 2 months.

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 BRM 5-Speed, 2013 Golf TDI 6-Speed, 2011 Golf TDI 6-Speed
Why are you waiting? It appears from news reports that auto sales have peaked. This means more incentives from every manufacturer and dealer. Go buy that car of your dreams now and get a great deal. Cash in with VW in 2 months.
There's always a deal somewhere to be had. I thought the same thing looking for a replacement now, but then I thought about it and keeping full coverage on my car and not driving it doesn't make sense. I will use every last mile on my car till it hits another tier of depreciation. If I happen to go over then I just wait till I'm close to the next tier.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The "vultures" will show up. There is just no incentive for them to show up until there is actual money on the table. A dealer does not want to have to hold on to your car for several months awaiting payment from VW. You (we) are the one(s) who bought these cars, so we are the ones who have to wait for the money. Wait until November and you just might see some VW competitors trying to get their hands on some of VW's money.

The answer to the OP's question "Where are the vultures?" is that like all vultures they are waiting for the right moment to swoop in. Not too soon and definitely not too late. Right now, it is still too soon.

Have Fun!

Don

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
I questioned several competing dealers if they were going to compete for my money, none seemed ready for the idea. Awaiting the corporate masters to send a lightening bolt to them.

solman1

TDI
14 Jetta TDI-DSG-Prem.
Other dealers don't want to wait 2-3 months for their money while you are driving their new car.
They have to have the money for the car or the new car on the lot I believe.

D3R3K

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2011 Jetta, 2011 JSW, 2012 Jetta, 2012 Golf 4 dr
It's coming I bet. People are still trading these things in daily not knowing about the buyback. I've had to tell several of my customers about it.

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
But the dealers are missing out.... Right now there are more than a few people looking to "park" their VW until the day they can sell it back. I'd be advertising something if I were a VW competitor. Not saying they will buy your car, but offer their standard loyalty discount to VW owners. Or better yet, come up with a financial offer that allows a person to buy a car now, postpone payments intil oct, and allow their monthly payment to be adjusted once the pay it down with VW money.

They drag their feet and let VW come up with incentives they may find it harder to snake customers.... It doesn't take a marketing genious to know they should capitalize now on the unhappy VW customers before VW has a chance to make them happy.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
But the dealers are missing out.... Right now there are more than a few people looking to "park" their VW until the day they can sell it back. I'd be advertising something if I were a VW competitor. Not saying they will buy your car, but offer their standard loyalty discount to VW owners. Or better yet, come up with a financial offer that allows a person to buy a car now, postpone payments intil oct, and allow their monthly payment to be adjusted once the pay it down with VW money.

They drag their feet and let VW come up with incentives they may find it harder to snake customers.... It doesn't take a marketing genious to know they should capitalize now on the unhappy VW customers before VW has a chance to make them happy.
I don't think most dealers will have to do anything special to attract former VW owners. Many of them are so disgusted with VW they will be moving to another brand anyway. Just look at the postings on this forum about what cars posters will be buying.

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
I have to confirm...but i talked to someone this weekend who said their VW dealer offered to buy back a recently purchased, used 2012 JSW from the buyer. From what the person told me, it didn't sound like the old language of "let us give you a great deal on a trade because we have buyers waiting for your car;" it sounded more like this place was trying to look like the corporate buyback (and then was going to make more money turning the car in themselves). But this is all third hand and i didn't see the actual letters to confirm how this all really read.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
The "vultures" will show up. There is just no incentive for them to show up until there is actual money on the table. A dealer does not want to have to hold on to your car for several months awaiting payment from VW. You (we) are the one(s) who bought these cars, so we are the ones who have to wait for the money. Wait until November and you just might see some VW competitors trying to get their hands on some of VW's money.

The answer to the OP's question "Where are the vultures?" is that like all vultures they are waiting for the right moment to swoop in. Not too soon and definitely not too late. Right now, it is still too soon.

Have Fun!

Don
Sums it up. No freshly dead carcass yet!

But seriously... it WILL be interesting to see how many dealerships decide to admit VW exists in their advertising by soliciting new car sales for the buyback money (said dead carcass!).

purduecrew

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
I have to confirm...but i talked to someone this weekend who said their VW dealer offered to buy back a recently purchased, used 2012 JSW from the buyer. From what the person told me, it didn't sound like the old language of "let us give you a great deal on a trade because we have buyers waiting for your car;" it sounded more like this place was trying to look like the corporate buyback (and then was going to make more money turning the car in themselves). But this is all third hand and i didn't see the actual letters to confirm how this all really read.
As DanB36 pointed out, cars have to be DMV registered to register. Dealers don't register cars. So they would have to go through that to claim them. Not impossible but not easy/free either.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
If I was another manufacture knowing that there will be almost one half million buyers out there with thousands of dollars burning a hole in their pocket, many with a bad taste in their mount towards VW..I would sure as hell be preparing a kick ass marketing campaign/program to get them in. I expect Hyundai/Kia, Subaru, Volvo and Honda to be the most aggressive for some reason, I see Mazda missing the boat.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Four of the five brands you mentioned are on my short list. (I'm counting Hyundai/Kia as two brands.) It will be interesting to see what's on the table when the time comes.

ohenry

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
If I was another manufacture knowing that there will be almost one half million buyers out there with thousands of dollars burning a hole in their pocket, many with a bad taste in their mount towards VW..I would sure as hell be preparing a kick ass marketing campaign/program to get them in. I expect Hyundai/Kia, Subaru, Volvo and Honda to be the most aggressive for some reason, I see Mazda missing the boat.
I agree with your basic premise, but I don't agree with your selection for "most aggressive". I do agree that Mazda will "miss the boat", it seems to me they always find a way to miss the boat.

Volvo is questionable, there aren't that many Volvo dealers in the US, and they have never been aggressive about sales, at least not that I have ever seen.

Honda has dealers everywhere, but they are not aggressive. They work very hard at making the most reliable car that money can buy, and on keeping the resale values as high as possible. To that end, they never do fleet sales - how many Hondas have you ever seen in the rental fleets?

So Honda is not what I would call aggressive. They work hard at building value, and then wait for the customers to come to them.

Hyndai / Kia, yes, they are aggressive, and I expect that to continue.

Subaru? Hard to say. They are a bit of a niche product, and they have a very loyal following. Which, come to think of it, does rather remind me of VW diesel buyers. This could be a natural fit?