When will we see the 2016 Passat?

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
Thunderstruck: I hear you re: HID headlights. I'm no spring chicken either, and notice headlight deficiency, but I'll wager the car you test drove came from the factory with the headlights focused too low. I have no idea why they come that way, but they do. A very minor adjustment improves the visibility a great deal.
Still, not even close to HID, but MUCH better than what you experienced.
As for VWoA never listening: mgmt. has done their research, they were looking for a price-point to compete, and in 2012, they nailed it with a very successful rollout of a completely new factory, new car, new engine, etc. etc. Now, several years later, keeping costs down is more important than satisfying the few (yes, the few!) folk that know the difference between a regular headlight and an HID headlight.
I know one thing, the view at night with HIDs puts halogens to shame.. which is why I really want them soon..

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
several years back they were quoted that they "must go big" on the mid model refresh in order to stay current, we should see much more updates than what the jetta did. Oh, and they also stated that they wont make the Passat look like a huge jetta minus bumper reflectors ever again
Like you, I'm in line for a 2016. Based on the few details thus far, I suspect all the best upgrades will not happen until the MBQ move. No matter; my old Jetta is nearing 300K, so time to move on (unfortunately dealer trade will likely be less than going rate for a well maintained BRM and DSG).

(also, thanks for the bandwidth cap info)

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
Good news is if you don't drive like an idiot GTI can get decent mileage.
I'll never see mileage like that in my R. The best I've gotten on a tank is 26.x and I'm now refueling every week instead of every 3 on the Passat. Oh well. This thing sure is fun!

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
You have to avoid the temptation to bury your foot. that will suck your mileage down quickly. I did a mileage test a couple of weekends ago, and while running it up to 100 when I turned around killed it by a few MPG, it still didn't do bad all things considered.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That Vortex thread says November 2015, which would still be a MY 2016 vehicle. But it does seem odd that we haven't seen any spy shots or info.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Has me wondering if VW taking a page from Apple's marketing playbook... creating buzz with silence. More likely, intended to clear-out 2015 inventory.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Post on Vortex is good. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I could get HID's like my GTI has. I shouldn't have to spend that kind of money for a car then buy HID's from EBay. I was actually going to go the dealer last month and lowball them on a Passat they have (still have a month later!), but the headlights were so abysmal I decided to pass on it. My eyes are not getting better with age, and I have enough trouble at night I need the good headlights.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Post on Vortex is good. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I could get HID's like my GTI has. I shouldn't have to spend that kind of money for a car then buy HID's from EBay. I was actually going to go the dealer last month and lowball them on a Passat they have (still have a month later!), but the headlights were so abysmal I decided to pass on it. My eyes are not getting better with age, and I have enough trouble at night I need the good headlights.
There are plenty of upgrade options available in various price ranges. If you can get a good enough deal on their leftover Passat, don't let the stock headlights stop you! :)

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Are there any good compilations of the options available? Looked in upgrade section and didn't see anything. I'm not mechanical when it comes to these things. I want something I can buy, take to a qualified shop, and have them drop in for me. Don't want to be dinking around with a soldering iron, or cutting and splicing wires etc. Want plug and play so I can go to a mechanic and say "put these in."

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
that's a good thing, sounds like VW knows this refresh must last 4 years and that they had better go a bit bigger on the refresh than what they had thought back when they spoke to the press last year :D Sounds like they realize Passat drivers are picker, older and wiser than Jetta drivers. OR maybe the ALLTRACK will come to the states?
The wait is good for me, makes me feel like im driving a up to date car just a tad longer :)

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I thought the new model year Passat had been coming out in August?

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
that's a good thing, sounds like VW knows this refresh must last 4 years and that they had better go a bit bigger on the refresh than what they had thought
Interesting thought, hope you're right. Didn't VW claim a move to the MQB platform in the 2018 timeframe?

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
They're giving great discounts on the 2015's right now due to high inventory, and wanting to clear out before the 16's arrive. It's possible we'll see some front/rear style updates, possibly LED drl's and hopefully options for HID/LED headlights up front. But with the current car at 4 model years old now, and if they stick with the typical 5 year production run before a completely new model is released, we may only see minimal, if any changes. I still love my 2014 and while I wish I had the new Fortana Red color, I'm in for the long haul.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
For those who have the backup camera, do you feel its worth buying one for my 13? the kit is $250ish just wondering if people really like it or not?

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I certainly enjoy having the camera. I don't use it to make my initial reverse moves (too much experience with mirrors!) but I find it invaluable as I am backing into a space to watch my left/right spacing and to see how far back I can continue. Many marked parking spaces are getting smaller in both width and depth, so I like to make sure I'm back far enough without getting too close to the car/wall behind me.

cheoah

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta PD, '14 Passat
Not particularly useful in bright light. I also use conventional means for backup, and use the camera for parallel parking and backing into spots, which I do most times. It is useful, but has some real limitations. I was in my friends Dodge 3500 out in central Oregon on his ranch last week, observing his backup camera. Plenty visible in 105 degree bright sunny weather. . had handy target lines that project path as steering wheel was turned. Much more useful than the one in my Passat, but I think those are $50,000 trucks, twice the price at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
For those who have the backup camera, do you feel its worth buying one for my 13? the kit is $250ish just wondering if people really like it or not?
The camera works great. I don't know where you're seeing them for $250, but you can get a kit on eBay for $100 shipped from China. I bought one a few weeks ago and had it in 9 days. I bought it on a weekend so I would have had it sooner. I replaced the OEM backup camera with the eBay camera and it's much better.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Not particularly useful in bright light. I also use conventional means for backup, and use the camera for parallel parking and backing into spots, which I do most times. It is useful, but has some real limitations. I was in my friends Dodge 3500 out in central Oregon on his ranch last week, observing his backup camera. Plenty visible in 105 degree bright sunny weather. . had handy target lines that project path as steering wheel was turned. Much more useful than the one in my Passat, but I think those are $50,000 trucks, twice the price at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The OEM camera sucks. Buy a replacement on eBay that's a direct swap. It works great at night and in bright light.

eBay item 181294606233 is what I purchased because I wasn't sure if it was the camera or the video cable causing the OEM camera to to fuzzy. The seller also sells cameras without the cables.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for the link, I was shying away from the Chinese one as I figured OEM was better- good to know that the $100 unit has a better picture and from the description quicker to start up.