When will we see the 2016 Passat?

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Any indications? Its now April, July or August?

I was thinking of a switch from my 13 for a 16.

Don

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
im thinking the exact same thing, with the huge clearance and incentives they have on the 15's we may see them before August :D

BigWorm

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I'm so curious on how this model will look. If they chance the body style and make it look "up to date" I'll jump on it....

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I drove a 2015 the other day (can't remember if it was a Jetta or Passat :p), and I don't care much for the rearrangement of the steering wheel buttons. I'm likely just used to mine, since my previous Tiguan has the same wheel. Kept looking for the voice command button and it wasn't where I wanted it!

That TFT cluster would be sweet. :D

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
After changing the oil on my 2013 for the first time having a easier filter to remove is nearly enough to get me to trade up

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
If they go with Apple Carplay you won't need a nav system because your smart phone will be the nav system. I'll take Waze any day over a built in system.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
After changing the oil on my 2013 for the first time having a easier filter to remove is nearly enough to get me to trade up

Many people have complained that the new filter is even more difficult due to its upside-down orientation and only being accessible from under the vehicle.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
Many people have complained that the new filter is even more difficult due to its upside-down orientation and only being accessible from under the vehicle.
your right, just Seen the youtube video of the 2014 Golf having tons of stuff in the way, super sad
When did VW move away from the nice huge spin on super easy to get at filter that my 1985 golf has?

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I changed the oil in my 2013 on my own for the first time today. The oil filter was a pain to remove. It was never that hard on my JSW.

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
Since my 2013 Passat has been declared totaled I have been hunting for a new TDI. If the 2016's were going to arrive early enough I would just rent a car for a month or two. Dealerships I have spoken with said they have no idea when they will arrive for sure. They were thinking August - October time frame. I would like CarPlay as well.

Don't want to hold out that long so I may end up with a 2015 the next 3 weeks. So if i do, you know the 2016's should arrive a few days later

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Cincy, I would caution against buying a TDI before 2016 production info released. To avoid buyer's remorse, perhaps leasing a used one for 6 months or buying a discounted one. Worthwhile strategy if you tend to own long term.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's odd that I can't even find a credible spy shot of the 2016 Passat. Either it's not ready or VW's doing a great job about keeping it under wraps.

The common rail filters up to '14 in the Jetta/Golf and Passat aren't that hard to remove. But the filter in the new EA288 in the '15s is more difficult.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
and that's sad, should be a spin off, spin on 30 second job. Heck even the transmission in my fathers Duramax was under a minute to change the Allisson filter on.
The 2016 must be refreshed, there is no way VW will sell a car with the 100% terrible 315 or 510 radio these days. Even a cracker box Honda fit has a HD radio that blows the doors off the 315 in my passat

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Well, the 2015 Golf has a completely new radio, so it looks like the -315 and -510 are going away. Not a moment too soon, as far as I'm concerned.

I believe every radio option in the Golf has HD Radio, so no more nav unit without it (like the -315). In fact, the major reason I didn't buy another Jetta this time was the -315 is the top end radio.

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
Cincy, I would caution against buying a TDI before 2016 production info released. To avoid buyer's remorse, perhaps leasing a used one for 6 months or buying a discounted one. Worthwhile strategy if you tend to own long term.

I am still waiting to settle with the insurance. They came in low to pay me out for my car. I may look into a short term lease to get a 16 or at least close out price on a 15. I would like to keep long term, was my intention prior to my Passat getting the salvage treatment.

Also in the State of Ohio the insurance company has to pay my Tax and Title on a replacement purchase on top of my settlement but they are only giving me 30 days on that.

Last edited:

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
With gas at less than $3 per gallon, even in Chicago, VW needs to come up with something better to get the cars moving off the dealer lots. Instead of a new front grill, maybe things like CarPlay, USB port, lighting package etc. Them saying "NEW FOR 2016!! DIFFERENT TAIL LIGHTS!!!" isn't going to have buyers flocking to the showrooms.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
I would most certainly hope so, both apple and androids version of car play is a must- along with all the upgrades that the Jetta got. Being 2016 I would also expect features such as "over the air" software upgrades being pushed out automatically via a connected phones tethering- lots cheaper than recalling millions of rigs for a simple ECM flash

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
With gas at less than $3 per gallon, even in Chicago, VW needs to come up with something better to get the cars moving off the dealer lots. Instead of a new front grill, maybe things like CarPlay, USB port, lighting package etc. Them saying "NEW FOR 2016!! DIFFERENT TAIL LIGHTS!!!" isn't going to have buyers flocking to the showrooms.

it seems that they don't care to move cars out.. why do you think they still use the same RNS 510 from 2012-2015 with all of the slowness?? they don't seem interested and no Xenon package? Driver assist techs in the 2015 while other models and the competitors have it?? hmmmm

scottydog

TDI
2015 Passat SE DSG
In my opinion the big upgrade was the 2015 model with the new engine. 2016 appears to be cosmetic only. I'm sure the 2015s will sell at rock bottom prices when word of the 2016 Passat gets out, and the 2016s will be at a premium.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
it seems that they don't care to move cars out.. why do you think they still use the same RNS 510 from 2012-2015 with all of the slowness?? they don't seem interested and no Xenon package? Driver assist techs in the 2015 while other models and the competitors have it?? hmmmm
The -510 goes back further than that. My '11 Tiguan had it, and I think it goes a few years before that. Regardless, it's no where near state of the art. :p

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
In my opinion the big upgrade was the 2015 model with the new engine. 2016 appears to be cosmetic only. I'm sure the 2015s will sell at rock bottom prices when word of the 2016 Passat gets out, and the 2016s will be at a premium.
Very true.. from what I was told by a salesguy at VW, the 2016 will get a facelift and will include the Xenon package.. but its a shame...

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
The -510 goes back further than that. My '11 Tiguan had it, and I think it goes a few years before that. Regardless, it's no where near state of the art. :p

Oh I agree... the service writer admitted that VW is behind on Nav/Infotainment here in the US that is... the Nav in my former 2012 Civic was way more advance and intuitive that this thing.. I just don't get it..

and mine is finally being replaced after this past weekend's lock up... its a shame and poor design to be advised to turn off certain features just to speed it up and try to prevent the lockups..

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Nav on smart phones outdoes a fixed system any day. I had to drive my Passat to work one day, first day I started at new location, and use Waze to get me there. Halfway there it told me there was a faster way and rerouted me, due to traffic slowdowns. Let's see a built in system from VW do that. This will cannibalize sales of Nav systems, not to mention Sirius. I haven't given up entirely on another TDI, but as sure footed and tight as my GTI is I'd lean heavily towards the new MQB architecture.

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
Nav on smart phones outdoes a fixed system any day. I had to drive my Passat to work one day, first day I started at new location, and use Waze to get me there. Halfway there it told me there was a faster way and rerouted me, due to traffic slowdowns. Let's see a built in system from VW do that. This will cannibalize sales of Nav systems, not to mention Sirius. I haven't given up entirely on another TDI, but as sure footed and tight as my GTI is I'd lean heavily towards the new MQB architecture.
isn't the MQB arch is what the Euros currently have?

Well to each is own, some prefer Cellular Nav and some prefer a fixed system..
I don't want to use cellular Nav because it goes against my data and with my plan, I will go over for sure every month. I will agree with you that smart phone Navs will out do any VW's pathetic Nav (RNS-510) but disagree with you against any Honda Nav.

Their systems were precise, fast, accurate and never left me astray like VWs.... its a shame VW built such a nice car but failed to compliment it with a a true "Premium" touchscreen Nav system NOR Xenon package, and driver assist technologies...

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
isn't the MQB arch is what the Euros currently have?

Well to each is own, some prefer Cellular Nav and some prefer a fixed system..
I don't want to use cellular Nav because it goes against my data and with my plan, I will go over for sure every month. I will agree with you that smart phone Navs will out do any VW's pathetic Nav (RNS-510) but disagree with you against any Honda Nav.

Their systems were precise, fast, accurate and never left me astray like VWs.... its a shame VW built such a nice car but failed to compliment it with a a true "Premium" touchscreen Nav system NOR Xenon package, and driver assist technologies...
I use my Google nav all the time and never use more than a few gigs, anyway
Download Navigon, its owned by Garmin (not originally) and is a one time several hundred meg download over wifi and works off line.