When to Replace Engine Air Filter?

bruinjetta

TDI
2011 Jetta SW
Hi Everyone,
Newbie here. For my 2011 JSW, I noticed the maintenance schedule doesn't replace the engine air filter until 60k? Other cars I have owned usually say yearly or at the latest at 30k? Is that correct or am I reading it wrong? When do you typically change your engine air filter? Thanks.

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
You are correct!!

I noticed the maintenance schedule doesn't replace the engine air filter until 60k? Is that correct or am I reading it wrong? When do you typically change your engine air filter? Thanks.
Yes, you are reading the schedule correctly. No need to change it earlier unless you drive mostly in an extreme environment such as dusty roads much of the time. Normal driving, then the 60K interval should be correct.

One caution, though, don't loosen the filter hold downs and take a look at the filter unless you are planning to put a new filter on. It won't reseal if you try to put the old filter back on.

I changed my filter at the 60K mile service. Others will have to speak for themselves re when they changed theirs.

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
I replace mine annually. Its cheap enough, and in my case it does get a bit sooty...

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
This is one occasion where 'less is more.'

As mentioned above, the compressible seals on the filter are one-time-use. If you mis-position it and need to re-do it I think you're O.K., but you don't want to open it up every so often to check it, and then re-use it because it won't seal properly.

There's really no good reason to change it more frequently, and leaving it sealed is better for it.