When to relpace turbo

pmich

TDI
2002 golf tdi
Hi,

I'm approaching 175,000 miles on my golf, and I was wondering what the lifespan of a turbo is? As of now it works great. However, I'm considering replacing it before it dies. After all, it can't last forever.

Is this a good idea? From my understanding, if a turbo blows it can destroy the engine. Is this true?

Any thoughts?

pm

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
I'm at 210 on my 03 Jetta, no problems so far. My turbo is strong for a stock one. I think most of them blow out from getting coked up with oil or some other concrete reason. Drive it like you love it/stole it and that won't happen.

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
My wife is the primary user of the TDI, currently, thats why I get it once a week to blow out the smootz and keep it running cleaner. Today is my day.....yeeeeeha It's also more fun that way :eek:)

Stibz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2009 Jetta
It is possible to cause engine damage if your turbo blows but it's very unlikely; usually they oil seals go and they sieze. Just clean it every so often until it dies.

I got 415k from my last tdi and the current owner has approx 450k...original turbo.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
...I was wondering what the lifespan of a turbo is?
The string reply may have seemed to be nothing but a wise guy comment, but in truth it is most applicable. When treated well, a turbocharger will last until rust destroys the castings. If not fed a constant diet of good oil or is caused to ingest solid objects of any size, its lifetime can be measured in seconds.
... it can't last forever.
Well, that depends on how you define forever. They will last a good bit longer than you think it will as long as it is cared for well and not abused.
Is this a good idea?
What, the preemptive replacement? Sure. If you have nothing better to do with $900 and some time. Me, I always have better things to do with large chunks of cash, even if they only sit in my bank account for reasons of "just in case". (That's the only one left since banks refuse to pay interest anymore.)
From my understanding, if a turbo blows it can destroy the engine. Is this true?...
Sure. But so can the lowly oil pan drain bolt or a rock run over haphazardly that also takes out the oil pan or a coolant line. There's zillions of hazards out in the real world, you can't guarantee that any particular action will protect you from all of them, and at some point you have to get on with life.
Heck, you can crack an oil line, or install it badly and instantly tooef a brand spanking new turbocharger when you are installing it, too. There's hazards everywhere!!
My advice is to not worry about it unless it actually does fail or if you decide you want a massive increase in performance that requires new induction plumbing.
Cheers!
PH

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
You'll probably get some indication that it's going bad before it actually fails. It would not be a bad idea to periodically check for free play in the shaft and oil build up in the intercooler. Wait until you see something there that bothers you, then replace it.

I understand your interest in preventing a catastrophe, I kind of feel the same way about my DMF. It's working, but I know at some point I'll have to replace it.

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
712,000km on original turbo, 2004 Jetta
405,000km - 2004 Jetta
450,000km - 1998 NB
380,000km - 2001 Jetta
367,000km - 2004 Jetta
364,000km - 2001 NB

These are the cars in my extended family/friends with original turbos. That is one component I don't worry much about as long as the oil changes are done on time (mileage) and get 'exercised' regularly.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
I would say if your worried, pull the hose off and feel the shaft, there will be a little in and out play and a very little up and down play. If you ahve a lot of up and down, or ANY indication the compressor blades were rubbing on the housing, then your on borrowed time.

Its always in the back of my mind, if you do dump a bunch of oil into the tubing it could cause the engine to run away or could bend rods...

I checked mine when I cleaned my intake/intercooler and it felt real tight and doesnt make any nasty noises at all.

Thats with 250,000 miles on it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We have a customer who recently had his turbo fail at 545K and the engine ran away, destroying the engine before he was able to catch it. End of car.

I think that if I got up around 300K on the original turbo I'd be inclined to think about replacing it for peace of mind. You never know how the turbo will fail or who'll be driving the car when it does.

Autobahn Jon

TDI
2004 2.0 Passat
My turbo failed when I let off the throttle to slow down and merge for a right turn. Impeller connecting shaft snapped after I merged and resumed driving. Lots of squeeling and zinging then the white smoke before I was able to get out of traffic. Other than excess oil being dumped in the cat convertor that had to be burnt out the car ran fine, oh yea the bill ran about $1600 from the stealership.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
And for that $1600 you got a reman turbo. The local dealer put one in my car on warranty and it lasted about 15K miles.

My car had it's third turbo before 60K miles. First one was probably damaged by debris from broken ceramic glowplugs, 2nd was the aforementioned dealer P.O.S. reman, third is a garrett VNT17; that one should last.

Then you hear lots of stories about turbos lasting 300K miles plus. Someone once told me that TDIs are easier on turbos than the gassers because exhaust temps are lower and the spinning speeds tend to be a bit lower (I guess due to overall lower RPMS?) but in another way they're harder on turbos due to more soot being pushed through. I'd be interested in opinions about those statements, I don't have near the experience to make that kind of determination.

ssbourbon1

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5sp- Black, 2006 NB DSG- Red
I have to say that, while I'm not a mechanic, i have taken the time to do the oil at the right interchanges, filters when i'm supposed to, and all other maintence to the book. I'm at 391,000 miles, still on original turbo. I acutally replaced my original frong breaks only 20k miles ago...I do lots of highway driving, I think that helps, but all looks good on mine on mine and my mechanics inspection from time to time. Take good care of these vehicles and they certainly will take good care of us!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
OK, so forgetting the catastrophic failures.... What are sumptoms of a turbo that has worn out?
My Jetta's turbo produces as much as 16 lbs of boost then drops to about 12~14, but that much pressure is only at full load and over 2500 rpm. At 1400, peak boost is about 4 psi, at 1800 about 8 psi. The pressure is not simply slow to build, it is just plain not increasing unless the rpm is up.
This car was purchased with a coked up turbo that I cleaned to get functional, and there may be greater clearance than ideal between the impeller and expeller and the housing, so that might account for the lack of pressure until the rpm is high.
The blades didn't show visible signs of damage or wear, but this was the first turbo I've opened so I don't have memory / experience to which to compare.
Does this description of low boost coincide with a worn (increased internal clearance) turbo diagnosis?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
... and there may be greater clearance than ideal between the impeller and expeller and the housing, so that might account for the lack of pressure until the rpm is high.
Lugnut, there isn't a way the clearances would increase without something being really damaged. Your lack of low-rpm boost could be caused by a lot of things beside the turbo. Any underboost CEL for example? Intake restriction?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
No CEL.
A restricted intake would produce precisely the opposite symptoms, and I've been through that ( http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=348987 ).
The air flow rate is more than adequate at high rpm, where boost levels are within what I expect them to be (sustained 12~14 psi available at 2400 rpm+).

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
At 270K miles, I am preparing to replace my VNT-15 with a new one shortly. My symptoms have been increased oil consumption over the past 100K miles. While this could be due to worn rings, etc., I felt it was a wise decision.

Unless there are actual symptoms or knowledge that the turbo was abused, I see little need in pre-emptive turbo replacement.