When summer blend?

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
So I filled up end of December.

Unfortunately due to some excessive driving I had to add some diesel a couple days ago, so I got five gallons.

Scared to buy too much (fill up) as I don't want a bunch of winter diesel in Spring.

As my location days, Western North Carolina

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
^^^^^ R U drunk? Summer diesel starts in april. You should go threw several tanks before now and then. Drive more and worry less. Winter fuel in warm weather = best mpgs.

scottdanpor

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Geez guys, not everyone drives so much. I filled up near the beginning of February and have half a tank left. I walk to work so my car is recreational only.
Sounds like a good plan buying a few gallons. Should tide you over till later in the spring and the summer blend comes out. Shouldn't be long.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
There would appear to be multiple variables in answering this question: the location of the station (when they switch from winter / summer blend), how much volume goes through that station (when the fuel will work its way through the system), etc.
So my advice would be the same a a previous post: drive more, worry less.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Geez guys, not everyone drives so much.
Then why buy a TDI? @czeetah has driven, according to his post, ~600 miles in 2.5 months, and considers that "excessive". That would make for an average of around 200 miles/month, or ~2500 miles/year. Why pay the considerable cost premium for a TDI if it's going to be used so little?

@czeetah, having winter diesel in the spring/summer isn't a problem; having summer diesel in the winter can be (though a dose of Power Service white bottle can address that pretty well). You're fine.

scottdanpor

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Then why buy a TDI? @czeetah has driven, according to his post, ~600 miles in 2.5 months, and considers that "excessive". That would make for an average of around 200 miles/month, or ~2500 miles/year. Why pay the considerable cost premium for a TDI if it's going to be used so little?
Well I have one because I knew nothing about them and it was recommended to me by a German friend. I fought through some problems and wish I had gotten a Corolla instead, but I didn't know this forum existed back then of course. Live and learn. Maybe czeetah is in a similar boat. We can always trade, but I know now what I have, vs something unknown. Most Corolla's of this age have ~250k+ on em and that's a lot for a gasser. My TDI with 330k (km) will likely last a good while yet, I hope. :)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd worry more about winterized washer fluid.

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
Well I drive my AWD car more in winter. Come end of June, July, August I'll probably drop 6k-9k on the vw. Most long interstate cruising. I like driving places in summer.

I just don't want to have the mpg hit of a bunch of winterized diesel to burn through.

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
It's not like one tank will make enough difference to really care, will it? So you lose a buck or two . . . so what? Seems like the stress of worrying about it will cost you more in the big picture.

- Tim

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
It's not like one tank will make enough difference to really care, will it? So you lose a buck or two . . . so what? Seems like the stress of worrying about it will cost you more in the big picture.

- Tim
Agreed such foolish frets over a buck maybe, and I'll bet you would never even know the difference. Do you only buy your food when it is on sale? Come on get real!

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Just fill up and drive. what really seems to make the difference in fuel economy is HOW you drive, not what kind of fuel. Besides - even in the mountains of NC March fuel is different than January.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Just fill up and drive. what really seems to make the difference in fuel economy is HOW you drive, not what kind of fuel. Besides - even in the mountains of NC March fuel is different than January.
Also fuel economy has much more to do with ambient temperature than summer or winter blend fuels. Many suppliers don't even blend in D1 and just use winter additives to prevent low temp gelling.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
I would dump it in the creek, watch reruns of Whats Happening NOW!, Wait until 4th of July , THEN buy some diesel... you should be good.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
Whoa, how about a little compassion here all? Seemed like a sincere question. Not all are experts in all things diesel. Thus a good reason to join a forum. While I totally agree it is not a problem to fill er up with winter blend, I don't think ridicule reflects well on those taking that route.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Don't get your panties in a bunch. I think the op can handle a little good natured ribbing.

Bandz7

TDI
2003 Jetta
^^^^^ R U drunk? Summer diesel starts in april. You should go threw several tanks before now and then. Drive more and worry less. Winter fuel in warm weather = best mpgs.
It's been much warmer here and I just had one of my best mpgs in a year. Like you said winter fuel in warmer weather. But my question is why is that?

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Some companies blend #1 diesel or other high teir fuels to increase the fuels filter plugging temp. Without the long warmup times that winter brings you can see better mileage due to the higher quality fuel that was used to winterize the usual low quality american #2 diesel. Not sure y we can have the good stuff year round. Greed on the oil companies part i guess.