When do you think we will hear anything about incentives to stay with VW?

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Talked to a salesman last week, he was advising me to buy something now since when all these TDI owners get their checks things are going to start selling fast and the deals may not be as good.
A person that gets paid to sell vehicles advising you to not wait to purchase a vehicle...shocking.;)

Tdi_jetta64

TDI
2013 jetta
Went today to test drive 17 gti se and had the manager come out and tell me to just wait a week or two and certain incentives will be available.

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Got an email today from my VW dealer asking to call them. Called and they asked me if I was planning on taking the buyback or fixing. I informed them I was anxious to turn over the keys back to VW. She then asked me what I would be interested in, and I told her unfortunately VW has nothing that I'm interested in right now. I inquired if there going to be any deep incentives to keep people like me as customers (that would need a crazy deal on something) from leaving and going to another brand. She casually mentioned their would be new incentives released in November. I asked her if any of that 1.8 million that each dealership was receiving was going to offset incentives or just in the owners pockets...she avoided answering. When I told her, I needed something with AWD, 4 doors, room for 2 car seats, etc, and something that goes like stink...she did recommend an R...although I think that would be too small.

71sbeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
1971 Super Beetle, 2014 Golf TDI (soon to be 2017 Golf Wolfsburg), 2015 Silverado LT
Meh, I'm getting a golf wolfsburg for $2000 under invoice before any other goodies vw throws at us!

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I will hear about them after I already bought my replacement non VW vehicle. Which happened last week.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Yesterdays e-mail from my local VW dealer

I just got off a phone call with our Volkswagen representative who informed me that VW is now offering an additional $1,000 off the purchase of any new 2017 Volkswagen (excluding the #PinkBeetle, GolfR, and Alltrack).

In other words, any quotes we've given you prior to 10/26/2016 on any new 2017 Volkswagens (excluding the #PinkBeetle, GolfR, and Alltrack) can be reduced by $1,000 through 10/31/2016.

jtitocci

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi

I just got off a phone call with our Volkswagen representative who informed me that VW is now offering an additional $1,000 off the purchase of any new 2017 Volkswagen (excluding the #PinkBeetle, GolfR, and Alltrack).

In other words, any quotes we've given you prior to 10/26/2016 on any new 2017 Volkswagens (excluding the #PinkBeetle, GolfR, and Alltrack) can be reduced by $1,000 through 10/31/2016.

The way this is worded in my opinion is "if you buy now, you can save $1k, and I'm only offering this to you until 10/31 because there's even better deals coming in November where I'm going to lose more profit"

If there wasn't something coming that's potentially better, that offer would last longer than 5 days... "end of month, need quota!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KBR

TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI Reflex Silver w/connectivity DSG and 2015 Jetta SEl TDI Platinum Grey w/driver assistance and lighting package DSG
bought 2016 Jetta SEL to replace TDI

I just bought a 2016 Jetta SEL w/lighting and driver assistance package to replace my 2015 Jetta TDI. There are not many left in my area. They are highly discounting($5K+ off) the 2016 models and low rate finance through VW credit. Jettas and Golfs do not get upgraded lights or adaptive cruise control for 2017 or I would have waited a bit. I have 2 TDI Jettas that will be sold back, but one of them has low miles and I'll drive until next fall. I'll probably replace with a 2017 Passat w/technology package.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi

No one is getting their check by 10/31. If Pink is in high demand why don't they paint more Beetles that color.

BlueGruff

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW DSG; 2017 Jetta 1.8T Sedan
I just bought a 2016 Jetta SEL w/lighting and driver assistance package to replace my 2015 Jetta TDI. There are not many left in my area. They are highly discounting($5K+ off) the 2016 models and low rate finance through VW credit. Jettas and Golfs do not get upgraded lights or adaptive cruise control for 2017 or I would have waited a bit. I have 2 TDI Jettas that will be sold back, but one of them has low miles and I'll drive until next fall. I'll probably replace with a 2017 Passat w/technology package.

I too was looking to get 2016 Jetta SEL to replace my 2013 JSW. If only the buyback program started now, I could get a huge discount and 0% VW loan on 2016 models. It looks like the buybacks will start in mid Nov. Probably wont be any '16 SEL left by the time I turn in the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Nov. 1st is just around the corner and I'm sure new promos and financing will be offered. I'll make a small wager that dealerships will entice us to stay with VW during the buyback process. I was told that there will be assigned sales staff working with or in conjunction with the Third Party conducting the buyback directly with us. "Special Offers" might be mentioned at this time to us and not the general public. Won't know till it happens. I'm sure we will know from member posts when the first cars are bought back. Once the check is in my hands, I'll negotiate for serious discount on 2017 Passat. Or I'll walk across the street to the Honda dealership.

I already have several quotes for the R-Line and Accord Sport SE. Discounted 12-14% off MSRP. That's for starters and not "hard-nose" negotiating. Those were online quote requests. There's plenty of room to get the price even lower. Check with your credit union on financing. Remember this- dealership make money on the loan also. What they might lose on the price they will try and gain back on the loan if you borrow through them. Buying a car is such a PITA$$!

Last edited:

Throwback7r

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW

Only all the models I would want.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Someone posting in another thread said a local dealer told him, upon his enquiry as to incentives, "You're getting a good buyback including compensation, that's your incentive." This is certainly not enough to induce me to buy another VW. When we finally turn the car in toward the end of the buyback window, VW is going to have to offer me a very good deal indeed before I'll buy another one.

Torque17

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I have had it less than a week, so my personal experience with failures is non existent. However, I will point you toward a resource with many knowledgeable participants. One area of failure has been Diesel Exhaust Fluid tanks, which are now covered by an extended warranty, and the problem seems to be exacerbated by overfilling the tanks.

I think I would be wary of a high mileage one without any factory warranty. If it becomes a repair nightmare, I will move on to something else. The guy on this board who knows these vehicles is n1das. He has been a resource to me. His name is David, and he is from NH.

My oddest discovery with BMWs is, no engine temperature gauges.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159
Thanks K1.

Yes, n1das provided a very good description in the megathread.

A follow up question: what is high mileage .....80k...100k...or much lower?

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Don't buy a BMW with over 75k miles; you want to know the car well before you break 100k.

As for temp gauges; to be fair VW doesn't have a temp gauge anymore either, just a dummy pointer :D

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
The way this is worded in my opinion is "if you buy now, you can save $1k, and I'm only offering this to you until 10/31 because there's even better deals coming in November where I'm going to lose more profit"

If there wasn't something coming that's potentially better, that offer would last longer than 5 days... "end of month, need quota!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You may be right but from what he said this incentive is coming directly from VW. If it isn't then this guy is lying to me. I know, shocking right? BUT this info would be easy to check on and they are trying to sell me a new VW and I won't buy a car from liars.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
The 1k is just typical VW year end rebates; it isn't anything to do with the buyback. Wait until November if you are considering a VW; I can almost guarantee the incentive will be much higher for any current/former VW owners.

awjohnson22

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I still own my 2014 tdi jetta and went shopping for a new car. My vw salesman pulled up an email from his sales manager offering 500 bucks to any current tdi owner so he knocked that much off

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Think of the additional financial impact on VW if NONE of us were to purchase a VW with the buyback money????

VW is buying our cars and providing extra $$ to soften the blow for our troubles. If we all go and buy another VW, then is VW really losing anything? They get our cars and they get their money back. They are just shuffling money around from one pocket to the other. They want us to buy another VW so they can recoup their buyback funds. Just my two cents

The more I think about it the more I want to jump ship and buy something else. Unless they do offer some crazy discount.

Tick-tock, tick-tock... goes the Buyback clock.

Tdi_jetta64

TDI
2013 jetta
Totally agree it would make good business sense to get back the money they are paying out but i am not too sure if vw makes decisions based on logical business sense.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Thanks K1.

Yes, n1das provided a very good description in the megathread.

A follow up question: what is high mileage .....80k...100k...or much lower?
David has over 100K miles, and is doing great with excellent reliability. On the other hand, there seem to be a few lemons and near lemons out there as well.

The asking prices of these X5 cars falls off with higher miles. I think, if I were on a budget and looking for a non CPO car, 75K miles would be my maximum limit. My CPO had 29300 miles and a complete service history, which only involved scheduled and preventive maintenance. Once you buy it, your own experience will let you know if you got a keeper. If its a keeper, just keep driving.

I have a warranty that runs for 70,000 more miles and 37 months. When that nears its end, I will decide if I will keep or sell. I had it out today in 30 degree weather with wet snow coming down. It felt safe, secure, solid, and gave me 29 real world miles per gallon.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Someone posting in another thread said a local dealer told him, upon his enquiry as to incentives, "You're getting a good buyback including compensation, that's your incentive." This is certainly not enough to induce me to buy another VW. When we finally turn the car in toward the end of the buyback window, VW is going to have to offer me a very good deal indeed before I'll buy another one.
That isn't an incentive. You can buy a car from any company with your buyback. Why do we need to buy VWs? And it seems other manufactures are offering incentives to us specifically. They need to step up to the plate and give some money to stay with them.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

jtitocci

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi
Could be "End of month" but a lot of the Northern VA dealers are dropping prices quite a bit. I've been watching GTI prices personally, and they just dropped everything about $1k-$1500. Could be gearing up for buybacks. I'm not looking for, or needing additional incentives personally, I plan on going straight from my buyback to a new GTI, assuming everything goes well with buyback.

I know internet pricing comes with a whole slew of FINE PRINT, but at the same time, the numbers are still coming down, so even after the fine print, theres some good deals on VW's depending on what your looking for.

I also wouldn't be surprised if VW announces nothing in terms of incentives, but hands us a "rebate" of sorts with our checks, that is money towards a new VW. Keeping it on the down-low as just an add on to the months normal incentives. This way their not "offending" the general public because their giving us more money off than them, sort of deal, and also a way to keep track of those who actually did own TDI's, and making sure THEY are the ones getting the benefits of the incentive.

jmanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium - gone
Would any incentive possibly apply across VW Group?

Here's a thought, as surely Audi is/will be involved in the same process regarding their diesels. Would it be possible there will be incentives "across the street" for us TDI owners? Sure would like an Audi allroad!

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
The extra $1000 off was announced on Thursday and expires Oct 31.

I was close to purchasing another GTI but the prices at my local dealer are not down far enough yet. Sure I could make the trip to Northern VA....but I don't really want to. Plus I would like to wait and see if VW does in fact offer something in the next few months.

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
I went to the dealer this morning to try to test drive a normal Golf automatic...they didn't have any. Talking to the salesman, he was trying to tell me that VW will not be offering any incentives because we are getting "Free money" - plus every vw owner will want another one, so inventory will be very low, allowing them to keep prices high....ok buddy, we will see how that goes.

i have test driven 4 cars so far...and all of the sales people have sucked beyond belief......incredible.