When do you think we will hear anything about incentives to stay with VW?

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
So - When do you think we will hear anything about incentives to stay with VW?

At this point, almost seems like there isn't going to be anything specific - might not find out until you actually take your car to be bought back.

I'm not really planning to stay with VW, but if the price is right - I would definitely consider it.

nattyboh2027

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Screw incentives to stay with VW, they can throw me all types of rebates / discounts off MSRP at me and I'm not falling for it! Subaru is getting my money haha. I might sound hostile but its the claims process that makes me not want to buy another VW. Did my research and want a Subaru. At this point, VW is screwing around with time on me actually buying the Subaru I want. By the time I'll turn it in then get the buyback money, certain model/colors go quick with Subaru which forces me to have to do a Factory Order smh

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
So - When do you think we will hear anything about incentives to stay with VW?
At this point, almost seems like there isn't going to be anything specific - might not find out until you actually take your car to be bought back.
I'm not really planning to stay with VW, but if the price is right - I would definitely consider it.
It would obviously behoove them to do so asap. When? Who's got that crystal ball again?

akafirestorm

TDI
JSW 2011
:D VW down the street from me, Team VW which I do not do nor will ever do business with sent a letter in the mail. Only Incentive I've seen so far for TDI buybacks so far offering 1 year of free gas. Basically whatever vehicle you choose whatever the annual fuel on the sticker says is the amount you get. If that ends up being the kind of incentive the VW dealers will be dealing with then Zoom Zoom Mazda I'm heading your way!:cool:

kapps

TDI
2014 Golf 6MT
My local MINI dealer is offering more incentives for TDI owners than the local VW dealers...

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Face it. As a marketer of cars, VW of A is pretty dysfunctional.

Ray102386

TDI
2012 VW Jetta Sedan, 2013 VW Jetta Premium, 2013 VW Toureg TDi Sport
Cheap and used

I was told by a service tech last week that they have bought a bunch of used vehicles <$15K. That way they can be bought for cash that they will sell to those looking to stay in a VW with no loan. That way VW doesn't lose any money and keeps TDi owners in a VW.

nattyboh2027

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Have you noticed they no longer offer the "base" Golf R. Only one model now and it's $40k :eek: .
That sucks! You should look at the Subie STI, probably more bang for the buck than the VW R. I'm rolling with just a CVT WRX, no manual for me.....too stressful in traffic haha

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Have you noticed they no longer offer the "base" Golf R. Only one model now and it's $40k :eek: .
Which is why I bought a three year old 29K mile CPO BMW X5 xDrive 35d for significantly less than that.

kevin_in_idaho

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Sportwagen DSG Pano White
Screw incentives to stay with VW, they can throw me all types of rebates / discounts off MSRP at me and I'm not falling for it! Subaru is getting my money haha. I might sound hostile but its the claims process that makes me not want to buy another VW. Did my research and want a Subaru. At this point, VW is screwing around with time on me actually buying the Subaru I want. By the time I'll turn it in then get the buyback money, certain model/colors go quick with Subaru which forces me to have to do a Factory Order smh
I agree. Why would you stick with someone who just gave you the stick? VW will probably start producing the cars we all wanted but they didn't want to bring the US (we already see the alltrack). I think they'll do the vanagon next and who knows what else, but it won't matter to me. I've already got a new car too and just waiting for a date with the dealer to take it in. I hope they ask me about another VW as this dealer has been terrible to work with and I'll let them know that and a little more after I get my check.

71sbeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
1971 Super Beetle, 2014 Golf TDI (soon to be 2017 Golf Wolfsburg), 2015 Silverado LT
I'm guessing there will be incentives included for November. Wait and see now.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Agreed. We didn't have a settlement till today. As the days and weeks go on, I believe you will see VW announce enticing promotions to take their checks back and keep us in the fold.

Santa2ya

TDI
None
I agree. Why would you stick with someone who just gave you the stick? VW will probably start producing the cars we all wanted but they didn't want to bring the US (we already see the alltrack). I think they'll do the vanagon next and who knows what else, but it won't matter to me. I've already got a new car too and just waiting for a date with the dealer to take it in. I hope they ask me about another VW as this dealer has been terrible to work with and I'll let them know that and a little more after I get my check.

I am in the same boat as you. My local dealers service department sucks. So much so I had to check the oil before leaving the lot because it may not have been changed at all.

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Agreed. We didn't have a settlement till today. As the days and weeks go on, I believe you will see VW announce enticing promotions to take their checks back and keep us in the fold.
Talked to a salesman last week, he was advising me to buy something now since when all these TDI owners get their checks things are going to start selling fast and the deals may not be as good.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
Best one I have seen right now is $1000 off and 0.9% financing on a 2016 new GTI. Ends October 30th.

Add a couple grand to that and we can start negotiating at the already 5K marked down price. ;)

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Honda, Nissan, etc. etc are all aware what VW is going through and will certainly want our business. I already have several dealers quoting me prices... discounted prices off MSRP. Anywhere from 13-19% off MSRP. VW wants me to remain a VW customer. Honda and other dealers want me to jump ship and buy one of their vehicles. It's a win-win for me as I negotiate.

If no one wants to negotiate, I'll keep the $$ and ride my Kawasaki.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Best one I have seen right now is $1000 off and 0.9% financing on a 2016 new GTI. Ends October 30th.

Add a couple grand to that and we can start negotiating at the already 5K marked down price. ;)
That sounds like a very bad deal for a 2016.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Talked to a salesman last week, he was advising me to buy something now since when all these TDI owners get their checks things are going to start selling fast and the deals may not be as good.
Salesman will always tell you that. I would respond there are more cars companies than VW out there and you can wait two years. I want to replace with VW but if I can't get a deal will go somewhere else.

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/ct-volkswagen-vw-owners-settlement-20161025-story.html

my local paper - here is the relevant blurb:

"Tom Backer, general manager of a VW dealer in White Plains, New York, says he'll try to sell returning owners on a turbocharged, gas-powered VW Jetta that gets 38 to 40 miles per gallon on the highway.

Q: IS VW OFFERING SPECIALS FOR RETURNING OWNERS?

A: VW plans to offer specials for returning owners after the buybacks begin. Dealers could kick in even more. Backer plans to offer $1,000 on top of any offers from Volkswagen."

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
unless we see something generous to stay with VW, I'll go elsewhere.

Rav 4 hybrid maybe. Maybe a Volvo wagon or BMW wagon.

MHC48

TDI
2009 TDI DSG
http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/ct-volkswagen-vw-owners-settlement-20161025-story.html

my local paper - here is the relevant blurb:

"Tom Backer, general manager of a VW dealer in White Plains, New York, says he'll try to sell returning owners on a turbocharged, gas-powered VW Jetta that gets 38 to 40 miles per gallon on the highway.

Q: IS VW OFFERING SPECIALS FOR RETURNING OWNERS?

A: VW plans to offer specials for returning owners after the buybacks begin. Dealers could kick in even more. Backer plans to offer $1,000 on top of any offers from Volkswagen."
I saw that article yesterday. If dealers down on Long Island and VW offer something, I will probably take a long look at an Alltrack Sportwagen. Although I doubt the real offers will be on that model.

Last edited:

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
I saw that article yesterday. If dealers down on Long Island and VW offer something, I will probably take a long look at an Alltrack Sportwagen. Although I doubt the real offers will be on that model.
Michael, where on the island are you? I talked to a guy at Atlantic VW today, and he said they'd pre-order me a 6MT Alltrack now if I wanted, Nice guys there, but I haven't talked price yet. Last week when I test drove, he did allude to liking winning business from another dealer (I mentioned I live around the corner from Donaldsons). We should keep each other in the loop on local dealers!

Torque17

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
BMW X5 Diesel

Which is why I bought a three year old 29K mile CPO BMW X5 xDrive 35d for significantly less than that.
K1,

If you dont mind sharing, how is the X5 working out?

1. How long have you had it?
2. Any known hpfp issues with these?
3. Do the bmw diesels have the hydro lock or other winter related issues?
4. One major issue with TDI I have is that in winters the windshield frost (inside or outside) doesnt melt or clear until a few mins on road. Idling before getting on the road does not help at all. Would this be the case with bwm x5d as well?

I am definitely excited about the torque, handling and fun that comes with it, however.

Thanks.

MHC48

TDI
2009 TDI DSG
Michael, where on the island are you? I talked to a guy at Atlantic VW today, and he said they'd pre-order me a 6MT Alltrack now if I wanted, Nice guys there, but I haven't talked price yet. Last week when I test drove, he did allude to liking winning business from another dealer (I mentioned I live around the corner from Donaldsons). We should keep each other in the loop on local dealers!
Currently I'm on the South Shore in Nassau. I've bought from Platinum ('07 gas Jetta)and Sunrise ('09 TDI). I may have to check out Atlantic.

Seems to me though, if you pre-ordered you'd be limiting your bargaining power with them. Even if you could get out of the deal, they'd already know how much you want it and maybe be less flexible.

Last edited:

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
I agree pre-ordering might not help much... I feel like my options on cars in general are quite limited, so I'm hoping that them keeping me with VW and with THEIR dealership will help my situation. If you ever want to grab lunch and kick tires or something, drop me a line. I'll let you know if they toss me any good offers.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
K1,

If you dont mind sharing, how is the X5 working out?

1. How long have you had it?
2. Any known hpfp issues with these?
3. Do the bmw diesels have the hydro lock or other winter related issues?
4. One major issue with TDI I have is that in winters the windshield frost (inside or outside) doesnt melt or clear until a few mins on road. Idling before getting on the road does not help at all. Would this be the case with bwm x5d as well?

I am definitely excited about the torque, handling and fun that comes with it, however.

Thanks.
I have had it less than a week, so my personal experience with failures is non existent. However, I will point you toward a resource with many knowledgeable participants. One area of failure has been Diesel Exhaust Fluid tanks, which are now covered by an extended warranty, and the problem seems to be exacerbated by overfilling the tanks.

I think I would be wary of a high mileage one without any factory warranty. If it becomes a repair nightmare, I will move on to something else. The guy on this board who knows these vehicles is n1das. He has been a resource to me. His name is David, and he is from NH.

My oddest discovery with BMWs is, no engine temperature gauges.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159