When can I start using OptiLube Winter Blend?

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Just picked up a 2012 TDI Touareg Lux with 70k miles. I'd like to start using an additive and IDParts (local to me) carries both the Optilube XPD and Optilube winter blend. Given that we are already in mid-october and I'm in the northeast, when can I start using the winter formula?

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
I like how useful the manuals are: https://i.imgur.com/FVXyGYc.png i.e. not at all. If you even look at the fuel tank sternly, you will void your Limited Volkswagen Warranty! ****ers.

I used additives when I lived in Minnesota once the snow came. I also stopped using additives for a while that January and nothing bad happened.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That looks to have good info if you are not familiar with diesels. Don't know why you think it is so lame. I would follow their advice. At 20F and below I would use something just in case. Otherwise I wouldn't use one at all. No real need.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd just use the XPD. It has anti-gel, certainly enough for our climate. I use it year-round. My son in Wisconsin, on the other hand, uses Winter Blend when temps get consistently below 0F.

ShelbyRazorback

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT (traded in). None at the moment.
I live in Wisconsin and I use XPD all year round. I wonder if I should get Winter formula. Hmmm...