wheel center caps disappearing

gncc600

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE DSG
I've now had two center caps missing. About 2 1/2 months apart. Has anyone else had issues with them flying off on their own or is someone helping them disappear?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Have you had your tired balanced more than 2-3 times? They're a very simple design, with 4 opposing plastic tabs that hold them in place. It's possible to bend/break one of the tabs, which compromises the holding integrity.
It's also possible someone is stealing them.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
For a while the right front would dissappear.
I bought a bag of them off eBay for less than one from the dealer.
they seem to be staying put now.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Different vehicle, but maybe of interest. I bought aftermarket center hub caps online for my 2005 Toyota Tundra. They were junk, never even installed them. The very pricey OEM caps were much more robust.

OP: Are you using OEM center caps? It's always possible there was a production run by the supplier that was defective.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Noticed one that was loose when I was fueling up last Monday so I pushed it back in. Looked again on Wednesday and it was gone.

$17 at the dealer got me a new one. They're available cheaper online, but I had the time and I was there so I went for it. I'll probably order a few to have on hand.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
The bag of snap in centers I have hanging on the wall in the garage seems to protect my two JSWs from loss of the things now. Like garlic and vampires.
I think mine were cheap Chinese, but I could tell no difference in them.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
My loss of center caps was never ending until I user rtv to glue them in. And the stealership wouldn't replace them under 36k warranty because i could have hit a bump causing them to fall out. They have since lost a customer

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
For a while the right front would dissappear.
I bought a bag of them off eBay for less than one from the dealer.
they seem to be staying put now.

I too bought a four-pack off of eBay for $13 including shipping. I only lost one when I had my two fronts re-balanced by an independent shop in Bethany Beach, DE during the summer.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I too lost several ,a few drops of super glue does the trick. If you check all of your caps you may find some that are lose. Glue them.

Jbratstdi

TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Sold Diesel Gate
I use stretch and seal to wrap around the outside of the tabs it holds them in place. Cheap way use waterproof tape wrap them you get a great fit you may need to wrap them one or two turns does the trick nicely:)

gncc600

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE DSG
Thanks for the advice... pretty sure they are just falling off. I ordered some on Amazon. I'll be gluing them on.