Wheel bent, pothole damage

gumaku1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI - DSG
Does anyone know if VW will cover a bent wheel under warranty?

I hit a pothole the other day and afterwards had some vibration that I knew was not normal. No tire damage, just a bent wheel that makes the tire uneven in one spot. I did not even think the pothole was that big, I hit it at lower speed and seemed like nothing, until I got back up speed that is when I could feel the vibration....

Kenn JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
There is another possibility. I think most cities will pay for car damage caused by potholes. I know mine does. Pursue that by asking for a claim form. It might even be online depending on where you live (where it happened). It might help to get pictures of the pothole. I assume the wheel damage wouldn't show in a picture, so you'll need a shop's bill/estimate for that.

Comprehensive insurance, minus your deductible, of course, which is typically about the cost of a wheel, could also apply. You'd have to consider based on your claims history whether it makes sense to make a claim.

The regular VW warranty won't cover it any more than it would cover a bashed in bumper if somebody rear ended you.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
There is another possibility. I think most cities will pay for car damage caused by potholes. I know mine does. Pursue that by asking for a claim form. It might even be online depending on where you live (where it happened). It might help to get pictures of the pothole. I assume the wheel damage wouldn't show in a picture, so you'll need a shop's bill/estimate for that.
Good luck with that in the midwest.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I just new tires for my JSW. Had to replace one wheel since it wouldn't hold air. They really wanted me to replace two but at almost $300 per wheel, I wasn't willing to that far. To file for comp coverage would have only saved me $50.

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
bent wheel

I agree that it's not worth turning into your insurance company- save that stuff for the high dollar incidents. Check out Ebay and Vwvortex ads for a wheel.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
There is another possibility. I think most cities will pay for car damage caused by potholes.
State of Virginia (VDOT) told me to pound sand - twice. Current VW - $400 wheel, $175 tire...I ate the cost.

Past G35 Coupe - wheels are $900...tire was OK. Ate the cost then, too.

Low profile tires/wheels look cool, but boy do they suck.

Last edited:

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
I just new tires for my JSW. Had to replace one wheel since it wouldn't hold air. They really wanted me to replace two but at almost $300 per wheel, I wasn't willing to that far. To file for comp coverage would have only saved me $50.
What was the issue with your wheel that it wouldn't hold air?

FLHX1550

TDI
2013 Golf TDI 4-Dr
Honestly, if it were me, I would look into a good local wheel repair place. Some of what they can do now-a-days is pretty impressive.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
What was the issue with your wheel that it wouldn't hold air?
Nice flat spot on the inside of the rim. I could probably get it pounded back into round but didn't have the time that day. It all started with a framing nail on the outside edge of my tire. At 40K miles, I felt is was a better decision to put new rubber all the way around.

TDI Hoo

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (Bought back by VW)

Runnerguy45

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Black JSW, 2015 Golf
I just got in from tire shop and they can't put new tire on my car because of a damaged wheel. {dont lend car to wife} I am in rural area 1.5 hours from a VW dealer. Where is best place to buy a wheel ?

veedubfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 golf
What are you people doing to your cars? I live in CO where the roads are made from potholes about 6 months out of the year and have never bent a rim. My GLI had 225/40/18s and my current car has 235/35/19s.

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
wheels/tires

I just got in from tire shop and they can't put new tire on my car because of a damaged wheel. {dont lend car to wife} I am in rural area 1.5 hours from a VW dealer. Where is best place to buy a wheel ?
I'd make a WTB ad on this forum and hope someone with a kind heart would help you out. Check Ebay and VWVortex too

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Just hit a pothole yesterday on my way home. Today, I checked the rim and don't see any deformity or crack. But, the wheel sidewall has a nice bubble in it :-(

I'll be making a trip to the tire shop tomorrow. Michigan has very large and very deep potholes. I'm just hoping the wheel ends up being OK.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
But, the wheel sidewall has a nice bubble in it :-(

I'm just hoping the wheel ends up being OK.
The tire has a bubble in it ;)

E-Z way to check for a wheel being buggered: Assuming the vehicle isn't a 4wheeler, lift the corner of the car up and spin the wheel by hand. Inspect the inside edge of the wheel for run-out, too. Even a minute amount of damage is apparent. If you can't spin the front wheel by hand, move to the rear of the vehicle and spin it there ;) Very easy to inspect for damage, big or small. If you really want to get crazy, break out your dial indicator :p

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For me the true indicator was the highway feel. Felt like the front wheel was falling off. Getting the new tires just confirmed it.