Wheel bearing Questions

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 6m "The White Knight"
My wheel bearings are making that noise that tells me that they need to be replaced. Doing some searching for parts I came across this:
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...e & Wheel Hub&gid=1636@Bearing & Hub Assembly
I have had excellent service with this company before. They sell the parts from the manufacturers that sell them to VW to label them as OEM (at least thats what it seems). Does this seem to be a good part? Has anyone had these before?
It looks like you just replace the whole hub assembly instead of trying to fight the bearings out...
Any help would be appreciated!

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
That's the style it is, you can't really just replace the bearing by itself. No more pounding races in and out of rotors.

That price seems a little on the cheap side but pretty much on par with WorldImpex ($63.95) and IDparts.com ($60). Might be worth a shot, but I've never dealt with that company.

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
i found out more about that part. It is a rear hub/bearing assembly. not the front. I dont think you can get the front with the bearings pre-installed.

If I buy a hub and bearing, can i just have a machine shop press the bearings in, and pop and swap the old hub/bearing assembly?

Edit:I found out you can do it to the hub, but you still need to pull out the steering knuckle bearings; there is no easier way!

Last edited:

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I appreciate it guys, those are some great links.

I have access to an auto hobby shop that rents lifts for 6 bucks an hour with all the tools you could need included. They also have a press. I am probably going to take it there when the bearing kits come in.

Last edited:

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Frequent Flyer said:
I have access to an auto hobby shop that rents lifts for 6 bucks an hour with all the tools you could need included. They also have a press. I am probably going to take it there when the bearing kits come in.
That's an awesome idea. I wish there was a place like that around here. Cracked oil pan at -40C in an unheated garage isn't fun, outside is even worse... possible business opportunity?... hmm I think it'd sell pretty good here.

Best of luck with your wheel bearing. I did my last one without a press. No fun at all.

stratusair

TDI
05 Jetta TDI Wagon, 02 TDI Sedan, 06 Lib CRD, Kubota, Boeing 737
Did my 05 the same way, wasn't too hard once off the car.