Wheel alignment.. pulling is driving me crazy

Mavrick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
Trying to narrow down a pulling problem with my newly aquired 03 Jetta. I had the alignment done and the front is pretty good, all within spec and pretty close to eachother left to right. The rear is out but i'm not sure if its out enough to warrant adding shims or not.

Right rear toe is -0.30
Left rear toe is -0.15
Rear camber is negative but both pretty close to eachother.

Suspension is OK other than the shocks feel pretty worn. Tires are bad but I'm not convinced that they are causing my pull.

On the right side of the road, the car pulls consistantly to the right, enough that I can not let go of the wheel for more than a second or two before Im on the shoulder. When driving on the left side of the road, it drives OK but does drift left more than normal.

What do you guys think of the rear toe?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Rear toe is off. I don't like shims on these, though, as they knock the brake geometry off. But I guess if you don't want to buy a new beam. How are your rear beam bushings?

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Yea - check rear beam bushings.

But I just did an 03 Wolfsburg where the RF rear LCA bushing was shot. When I hit the brakes it would really go L hard.

I'd like to think the alignment folks looked at the LCA's but might be worth a look there as well. Like REALLY look, pry, etc.

Mavrick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
Rear bushings are in tact but may be origional (did they use the newer style bushing from factory in 03?).
Edit: rear bushings were done 60 000km ago.

Shims are like $12 each, so i've ordered a couple for the rear. 0.25* on the left and 0.38* on the right should bring it into spec for rear toe. We'll have to wait until next week to see if they will cure my pulling problem or not.

Last edited:

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
A shifted belt in a tire can also cause a hard pull. Rotate the tires front to rear and see if it goes away.