What's your stereo setup?

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
When I bought my car in 2015 the radio worked but the speakers were all shot. I've had a couple of different head units since then, but I'm currently using a Kenwood Excelon series with Kenwood 6.5" 3-way speakers. The tweeters have always been bypassed.

I'm debating on how to make things sound better because I've always had crazy issues with the door panels rattling at certain low frequencies. I've used Dynamat in other vehicles but I feel like it wouldn't do much good in these doors. I'm also considering installing baffles like this as well. I might install a sub box and amp in the future but don't really think I need it. It's plenty loud and bassy for me as it is if I can just get everything to stop rattling.

Any pointers?

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
Maybe some kind of adhesive foam at any point of contact? I have a similar problem in my Jetta. Are all the screws there? Some of mine are missing or won't bite into anything.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You may not have shot speakers. 9/10 it's the head unit.
You can ohm out all the speakers as a test!
Speaker selection is marginal, what you want is a high quality head unit of at least $400 in the 800 RMS range with nice features.
Spend another $200 on a pre amp mini 400 watt 8 channel.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
head unit with 800rms…?
8 channel amp…?

Post some links with examples.

-Todd

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Maybe some kind of adhesive foam at any point of contact? I have a similar problem in my Jetta. Are all the screws there? Some of mine are missing or won't bite into anything.
I definitely have some of the same issues with a few of the screws not biting anymore. But then again, seems like all this car does is make plastic against metal rubbing noises. lol

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
You may not have shot speakers. 9/10 it's the head unit.
You can ohm out all the speakers as a test!
Speaker selection is marginal, what you want is a high quality head unit of at least $400 in the 800 RMS range with nice features.
Spend another $200 on a pre amp mini 400 watt 8 channel.
The cones were completely deteriorated. Again, that was years ago.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I just realised this... thought you had a 2015 vw. Not a 2000s

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
what you want is a high quality head unit of at least $400 in the 800 RMS range with nice features.
I've never heard of a 400watt head unit. Where you do you get such and thing and why not just use a normal external amp?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've never heard of a 400watt head unit. Where you do you get such and thing and why not just use a normal external amp?
400 rms means you only get a reality of 40 per speaker.
Rms is NOT a watt amp rating... it is for peak use this yoj can just cut the number in half for anythjng useable. RmS is a BS rating system. Plenty in the 400 to 600 range.
And I said to use a mini 4 or 8 channel pre amp.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
400 rms means you only get a reality of 40 per speaker.
Rms is NOT a watt amp rating... it is for peak use this yoj can just cut the number in half for anythjng useable. RmS is a BS rating system. Plenty in the 400 to 600 range.
And I said to use a mini 4 or 8 channel pre amp.
Root Mean Square is the continuous output rating at a specific level of total harmonic distortion... pretty sure you're thinking of "peak" power.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Root Mean Square is the continuous output rating at a specific level of total harmonic distortion... pretty sure you're thinking of "peak" power.
Yes but that's not how most marketing company's do it. There are no legal requirements for advertising it that way hence why you should shoot for 400ish.
Clearly you know more than enough about the subject so you have my suggestion. I really liked my kenwood speakers.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes but that's not how most marketing company's do it.
Better companies do, The companies that sell a 2 channel amp rated @ 1000W with a single 30A fuse is not one of them. I used to dump A LOT of money into car audio in the ‘90s/’00s. Still love it, but don’t do crazy stuff anymore. Tonight, I was considering a powered sub… something I’d never have considered in my earlier days.

OP, if you’re not going to try and get the plastic rattles to stop, you’re wasting your time. Just like tires for handling, you start with speakers for SQ improvement. You can build a modest, decent sounding system for not a ton of money.

-Todd

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
OP, if you’re not going to try and get the plastic rattles to stop, you’re wasting your time. Just like tires for handling, you start with speakers for SQ improvement. You can build a modest, decent sounding system for not a ton of money.

-Todd
Perhaps I worded my original post badly. I'm mainly wondering what people have done to adequately insulate their doors for better sound reinforcement - dynamat, baffles, whatever. What have you done personally in your car, Todd?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left

-Todd
Challenge accepted! Interestingly enough, I need a new radio for my B4V and every aftermarket radio setup I have seen sounds like garbage. The stock radio sounds much better but they have no features and are hard to find. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on something but do want it to sound good. What can you recommend?

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm mainly wondering what people have done to adequately insulate their doors for better sound reinforcement - dynamat, baffles, whatever. What have you done personally in your car, Todd?
I always replace speakers. I also don’t have people in the rear seats.… probably been years since I have. This lets me get away with just front soundstage and a sub. I sold a B4 about 6 months ago that had a decent, modest system in it. Pioneer BT HU was the only new purchase. Everything else was from older installs. Diamond Audio Hex components (later replaced with MB Quart), MTX, etc.. Some of this stuff was decades old. The Hex were absolutely amazing, but one of the woofers blew. I couldn’t find a spare that didn’t cost too much.

Back in the day, those brands were pretty expensive. Now that everything has gone to China, they’re reasonably priced. I still occasionally look online for the old Canton made Hex stuff. Big market for old school equipment.

I kinda stopped running separates, to avoid trying to hide the passive crossovers. I only buy amps with built in crossovers…. no more stand alone active crossovers. I’ll usually get a 4 channel and and run it 3 way. Sometimes less is more.

As for sound deadening, I remember when Dynamat came out… I bought the original bitumen product. Nowadays, I only buy 100% butyl. Dynamat Extreme is an excellent product, but I’ve also used other brands with excellent results. Noico is one of them, but it seems their costs have risen since people got familiar with the name.

If a plastic panel rattles, cover 20% of the back with deadening. it’s easy to go overboard, but it’s been proven to not be needed. Anything over 20% is the point of diminishing gains. If you’re hearing plastic or metal to metal vibration or squeaking, cover the flange with material to separate the two. VW did this since the 80s and they also covered wiring harnesses in foam, for a reason… to keep noise down.

Don’t use the adhesive backed felt from the hobby store… the same stuff people use on their blend doors. It’s garbage. I bought some to replace the VW flange felt and it lets go in the heat and leaves a sticky mess. Use felt and contact adhesive that’s heat rated. I think the foam insulation tape they sell in the ductwork section of HD would work. It’s got a very aggressive acrylic adhesive and it’s designed for HVAC.

Honestly, the sheet metal doesn’t need a lot of attention… there aren’t many flat areas. Most steel panels have bends or stamping in them to keep the part rigid. The plastic needs attention. Most of the metal clips had felt on them from VW. They had the right idea. Be sure all your clips are intact, too. If it’s not secure, it’ll rattle.

Tracking down noises can be a lot of work. The door panels don’t seem to rattle much since they’re cardboard, Keep junk out of your map pockets. If I use those pockets, there’s a microfiber towel in it to stop rattles.

Now that I’ve sold the sedan, the wagen needs some attention in the rear. There are some big plastic pieces back there…

Theres so much to do, it’d be impossible for me to document it all.

The stock radio sounds much better but they have no features and are hard to find. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on something but do want it to sound good. What can you recommend?
Weren’t you having speaker issues, where they weren’t playing sound? Most of today’s HUs have built in EQs with preset and custom curves. Stuff I had years ago had these, time delays, etc. built in. I’d think you could tailor the sound to your liking.

Personally, I’ve never heard a stock B4 radio, so I can’t compare it to anything aftermarket. The last two HUs I purchased were Pioneer, although I’m a big fan of Alpine HUs. The wagon has a double din and the sedan got a single din. The single din sounded a lot better, but it’s not a fair comparison, since it had an amp and 12” sub. The BT connection in the single was way better, although they’re not too far apart in age. These were purchased 5-10 years ago, so my recommendations wouldn’t be current. Technology has changed so much, it’s almost like learning new.

I was in Philly and heard an audio system, in the street. It was incredibly loud, had a ton of bass and sounded incredible… coming from a touring cycle. The amps in these things are tiny. I first saw these tiny amps in the 90s (Blade was one brand) but they were very expensive and went away. They’re back. These are incredibly easy to hide.

When I mentioned the powered sub, it was for the wagen. I thought about placing it behind the driver seat, since I keep the rear seats folded down. I’m running cheap Infinity coaxials in the front and rear doors off the HU power. Sounds ok, but they’re running full range… these should probably be upgraded One thing you want to do for the doors is run the absolutely largest speaker you can. You may be able to get a 7” in the fronts. You want to seal the front wave from the rear wave, and you also want to channel all the sound into the cabin. The way the stock setup is theres at least .5-1” of open area from the speaker front to the speaker grill. Sound gets lost behind the panel.

They now sell baffles/rings to help channel this sound. I did the same with wide, adhesive foam weatherstrip in the sedan, before I saw them for sale.

I’m hoping to get rid of a ‘03 Jetta this weekend, but the stereo sound pretty damn good! Pioneer HU (came with the car) and I have no clue what’s in the doors. No sub or amp that I saw. Very good lows, which is surprising. I’m curious how much of this system is OE. Perhaps there is an amp and unsure if the doors have passive radiators, etc.. Sounds too good to just be HU power and door speakers, but I’m not taking anything apart to get a looksee.

-Todd

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I'm curious as to how anyone mounts aftermarket speakers in the rear of the jetta since the enclosure grills are integral with the speaker unit. Am I dumb?

I've wanted to upgrade my system forever but haven't been able to figure this out .

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm curious as to how anyone mounts aftermarket speakers in the rear of the jetta since the enclosure grills are integral with the speaker unit. Am I dumb?
Hm, can you cut them out? My OEM speaker grills I think we detachable. The rear deck is a pretty ideal spot for some big mid range speakers and a couple of tweeters. Maybe take a picture of the situation?

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
This weekend I installed a pair of silicone baffles in my front doors with the foam backing pads as linked in my OP. Wow, crazy difference. I really didn't expect it to be so noticeable, but it honestly took care of 90% of my complaints. I think the biggest issue could have been the direct contact my speakers were making with the plastic mounting rings, and now there's a layer of silicone between them. All the frequency-specific rattling I had before is completely gone and the sound is much more focused. Now I'm dealing purely with the bass limitations of my speakers, and I can now tell how helpful a sub would be.

It also doesn't help that my foam door cards have long been MIA since removing them to fix all the window regulator issues. Still, surprisingly not bad.

20220513_092723 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rig

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice, I will have to try these out.

I'm planning a huge overhaul. Going to totally gut the interior of the car, new upholstry, soundproofing everywhere, dual amps, new wiring. I'll probably dig into the dash to fix my blend doors and steering. Repaint the plastic. Metal reinforcing plate (for a roof rack) in the ceiling with tweeter mounts (might just leave this exposed and do some laser engraving). I have a couple of subs that have been sitting in my closet for years waiting for amps, and I'll get a couple of tweeters to mount in the corners of my windows and the stock holes in the rear deck.

And that's just phase one!

Phase two will be upgrading the rest of my speakers. My rockford fosgates are really pretty decent for the money and they work well with my stand alone head unit, but eventually I'm going to want improved sound with my amps, etc... but for $$ reasons, that's going to have to come later, haha.

If you start delving more into your sound system, this guy has a pretty informative channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CarAudioFabrication/videos

Here's a video that might be relevent to you:

And here he is going way overboard with the sound deadening:

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Those baffles look pretty nice. I’ll need to see what I did to the B4V, if anything at all. I put a lot of time into the sedan, but don’t think the wagen got much love.

-Todd

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
I've read some threads on here years ago where they did the full dynamat treatment and expensive sound system.

TDeanI

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI Wagon w/ 286K mi.
For checking true output of an advertised amp. Look at the amp rating of the fuse. Times that by 14 volts (running voltage) times that by 0.80 (the maximum efficiency of the amp converting input power to output watts) and that is the most amount of rms watts power that amp can produce. Many of the cheap amps are only 60 - 70% efficient though.

So an advertised "1000 watt" amplifier that only has a 30 amp fuse. The max true watts is 30 x 14 x 0.80 = 336 watts rms. Now divide that by the # channels and that is the maximum amount of power per channel. If you use 60% efficiency, which is typical for a 1 ohm load mono amp, then you are only getting 252 watts rms max.

I have done the dynamat every panel trick once. It was expensive with only a little improvement. Unless you are really good at replacing panels without breaking plastic clips, you will probably have more rattling noises than when you started. I think the best place to focus on installing dynamat is on is the firewall and front floor area for a diesel.

I have found that 50 watts rms per door speaker and whatever watts you need for the sub is plenty. If you drive with it louder than that you are creating hearing damage. These TDIs have pretty high base noise levels at 60 mph or over. Overcoming that with an over loud stereo system is a recipe for hearing damage.

For a subwoofer, this is what I use and built. Truck and Auto Tuba
You can build one for about $150 (one sheet of 1/2" by 4' by 8' plywood, connectors, polyurethane glue, and a $70- $80 8" subwoofer.) It is a rear loaded horn. It has very low distortion, great sound quality, and is plenty loud with only 50 - 100 watts rms. Plans are like $15 and there is a full forum for support and to see other's builds. With 100 watts rms, it sounds as loud as a 10 or 12" subwoofer on 500 watts. My truck tuba is 24" by 36" by 6" tall.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Once again kinda tossing around getting a small sub of some kind. I'm looking at the Sound Ordnance B-8PTD but I don't think it will fit under my seat. Only 3 1/8" inches tall, but still. I'm already out of room in my truck due to all the spare tools I carry around, maybe I'm just SOL?

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I think with a smaller sub you might able able to make a custom enclosure in the trunk, right behind where the rear lights are. At least that was my eventual plan (on both sides). Another idea i had was to slot them into the rear dash. Failing that, an amplifier with some high quality 6in mids might be all you really need.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Well, I think with a smaller sub you might able able to make a custom enclosure in the trunk, right behind where the rear lights are. At least that was my eventual plan. Another idea i had was to slot them into the rear dash. Failing that, an amplifier with some high quality 6in mids might be all you really need.
Rear dash is a good idea.