What's with diesel price now?

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd
Winter is long gone but diesel fuel continues to sell for more than gas, putting the lie to the usual fact that diesel fuel price dips below gas during spring, summer and fall due to lower demand.

Anyone know why? I mean, I know the truth of the matter is likely shrouded in some deep, complicated, mystery, far beyond normal comprehension, or so the story goes.

What's the party line for this newer phenomenon of diesel being more expensive than gas long after the demand for heating oil has ended which was the typical explaination for more expensive diesel?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Slow down, you are repeating yourself.

It's higher because of demand. It is what it is, what does it really matter how much it is anyways. Can you do anything about it, will you stop driving your cars? If it was lower, you would save a couple bux on a tank. You can't afford that?

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd
Thanks for your input, Imoo. Always appreciated.

Getting back to the question, what accounts for diesel suddenly costing more than gas nowadays?

The heating oil season is long over, the added cost of 'doping' diesel fuel to make it usable in frigid temperatures is no longer applicable, and although there are certainly more diesel vehicles on the road, is the incremental demand increase really what's accounting for the reversal in pricing order of gas and diesel?

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
I'd say greed effects the price.
Truth
7-8 months ago crude was approximately $100 a barrel with diesel price around $1.15 +/-
Today crude is about $60 a barrel with diesel around $1.10
Corporate greed wins again

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Here in the LOWER MAINLAND (outside of the GVRD) the Diesel prices are just a cent above or sometimes even below Gas prices....Whenever we are in WA we fill-up in Bellingham.
Last the Diesel was 2.959 US$ per US Gallon.

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd
Truth
7-8 months ago crude was approximately $100 a barrel with diesel price around $1.15 +/-
Today crude is about $60 a barrel with diesel around $1.10
Corporate greed wins again

Definitely greed MUST be a major part of it.

And I completely agree that when crude prices rise the retail fuel price IMMEDIATELY increases, but when crude price drops as illustrated in the example above, the retail price hardly moves down at all. Nice racket.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Theres places I pass where diesel is 1.05...but as you get closer to toronto nothing but 1.12...1.14... So blame greed? So to bring down prices?

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
In Flamborough, Ontario right now diesel can be had for $104.9 while the best price for gas is $107.9

I don't try and understand prices of things and how big oil and big money works: I understand it is based on speculation, and then people speculate on how it works, which must be some form of irony.

One day I would like to have my own solar farm and drive a Tesla.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Diesel has been cheaper in my area for a couple months now. I have filled up 5 or 6 times between $105.9 and 107.9, all the while gas has been between $111.9 & 117.9 ion the same time period. I guess it depends on your area.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
The cost of overhead in the GTA is a lot more than up north.

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
I'm in eastern ontario and gas has been 5-10 cents/litre higher than diesel for the last month or two also.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Got to be a canadian thing, price of diesel in the states is almost always higher than gas,mostly due to crazy diesel taxes on Heavy duty truckers for road use. Our diesel is 30-50 cents per gallon higher than regular. Diesel cars represent maybe 2 percent of the car population,so no one cares to fight it.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Got to be a canadian thing, price of diesel in the states is almost always higher than gas,mostly due to crazy diesel taxes on Heavy duty truckers for road use. Our diesel is 30-50 cents per gallon higher than regular. Diesel cars represent maybe 2 percent of the car population,so no one cares to fight it.
It's still cheaper than what we pay

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Agreed that the diesel price just doesn't seem to get any relief. Never came down as hard as gas when oil price crashed, and has always stayed higher than gas (or at best in line) in the area around Richmond Hill (at least the ones I've noticed). Weirdest thing I remember was a trip a few years ago to Texas. Diesel was more expensive than supreme gas. The advantage of diesel is slowly getting marginalized as gas engines continue to improve efficiencies. Only thing I see working in the favour of diesel is the fact that more and more cars require premium (or at minimum mid-grade) gas due to higher compression and the use of more turbos mated to smaller engines.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
My experiences are thus, this past April and the same every year:
On my travels Diesel in Mexico is about what we pay here per liter. but it is the same in the country where ever you are.
I usually find the least expensive Diesel in Texas for around US$ 3.40 @ US gallon (3.8 liter) Then it goes up steadily the further north I drive and Michigan being the most expensive at just under US$ 4.00 per gal. At the Ambassador bridge the Duty Free Diesel was US$ 3.39 gal.
One exception I have found is in Missouri on I-70 about 1 hour west of St.Louis where I can buy Bio-Diesel for US$ 3.49 gal.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Filled up today at an Ultramar. They have 2 cent Tuesdays where diesel is 2 cents off on Tuesdays. I paid $102.9. Gas was 112.9, so 10 cents cheaper.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Mmmm Tacos... Thanks for the reminder! lol
Bill in the small town where I winter we pay about Cdn$ 1.80 for a taco. Two are enough for a good dinner and then add $ 1.10 for a cold beer.
Rudy

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Every Oiltanker is FULL and on High Sea, no destination Harbour....If those Tankers come in, prices would come (dump) way down....

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
I'd say greed effects the price.
Can you define greed? The seller of every car and part for sale here tries to sell it for as much as they can get. When they meet up with a buyer willing to pay that price then they have established the market price for that product. Every single gallon of diesel that the refinery produces is being sold. I'd say the open market is, once again, functioning as Mother Nature intended. Life is good.

pcguru

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 2005 Passat 2000 Gulf
Well I am getting my wife Electric Smart Car for her 30K round trip compute to work because I am tired of paying to much for fuel based on the price of a barrel