What's up with VW Vortex?

Stimulacra

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
On occasion I'll check out vwvortex.com to see what's going on in the wider VW enthusiast world and have noticed that the homepage is usually conspicuously absent any mention of the emissions scandal. Almost like they're reporting on an alternate universe where dieselgate isn't happening.

The omission has gotten glaring to the point that I no longer view the site as a credible source of news information but wanted to see what others thought might be the reason for their skewed coverage?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
VWvortex really doesn't focus on diesels. There is one diesel subforum for everything from the old IDI 1.6s to the new commonrails. As a for-profit forum community, they are not interested in tarnishing the brand or alienating their base by advertising scandals in big print on the home page.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm not certain that this is anything new. The Vortex has never cared very much about the VW diesels. There is only one technical sub-forum about diesels and it sees very few posts. Aside from this one forum, diesels are rarely mentioned at all. The average Vortex user seems to care more about bling (stance, LED lights, etc) and performance mods for gassers. TDI owners are a small subset of VW/Audi owners that are better served by a dedicated site (this one!).

Have Fun!

Don

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Keep in mind that VWVortex now has a corporate owner (AutoGuide) and they may have some guidelines about what they post under the VW logo.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
Because in the grand scheme of things, this emissions scandal is minor and the vast majority of VW owners own gas models and don't care/don't know.

Would you complain that a tampon advertisement isn't being run on the cover of mens journal?

If you own a TDI chances are you are on TDIclub and get all the info you need.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
On occasion I'll check out vwvortex.com to see what's going on in the wider VW enthusiast world and have noticed that the homepage is usually conspicuously absent any mention of the emissions scandal. Almost like they're reporting on an alternate universe where dieselgate isn't happening.
The omission has gotten glaring to the point that I no longer view the site as a credible source of news information but wanted to see what others thought might be the reason for their skewed coverage?
No different than this site. No meaningful coverage or dialogue. My turbo diesel site has surpassed this site sad too say. Actually surprised VW has not enforced their trademark here.....

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Because in the grand scheme of things, this emissions scandal is minor and the vast majority of VW owners own gas models and don't care/don't know.

Would you complain that a tampon advertisement isn't being run on the cover of mens journal?

To take your analogy a step further: a tampon scandal, where the biggest tampon company in the world lied to their customers, might never show up in Mens Health magazine, and that is ok, I think?

But also the corporate ownership part other people mentioned.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
VW Vortex is run by Dr. Mabuse.

Stimulacra

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE

I would agree with you there but if you go to any general interest car site or blog (R&T, Jalopnik) or general business news sites (Bloomberg, WSJ) you can usually find an update to the VW emissions story near the surface.

It just seems odd to me that the emissions scandal is a bit more hidden on a general VW enthusiast site, especially when you consider how the financial repercussions will impact the brand in the U.S. and elsewhere.

Just my observations, was curious about the coverage.

Also thank you to whoever posted the subthread from VW Vortex here. Will check it out when I get a chance.

Thanks!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I would agree with you there but if you go to any general interest car site or blog (R&T, Jalopnik) or general business news sites (Bloomberg, WSJ) you can usually find an update to the VW emissions story near the surface.

It just seems odd to me that the emissions scandal is a bit more hidden on a general VW enthusiast site, especially when you consider how the financial repercussions will impact the brand in the U.S. and elsewhere.

Just my observations, was curious about the coverage.

Also thank you to whoever posted the subthread from VW Vortex here. Will check it out when I get a chance.

Thanks!
This is typical behavior at MSM outlets. I'm sure their part ownership by another group can dictate what gets posted (or removed) it is a big MSM ploy anymore to just not report things that are relevant because they might not be kosher with the existing 'recovery' narrative etc.

For instance, the reporting of the unemployment rate never includes any comments about the number of people who have been systematically eliminated from being counted because of the ridiculous manner in which the rate is calculated, or because the population employment ratio has allegedly dropped back to where it was in the early 70's etc.

Steve